1/24 X-Wing near 100% from scratch

Holy moly! That is incredible work Rafa, I had to look twice at the Hurricane part, and I still think it's as good as the original. This is going to be a thread to watch and learn from. :cool :cool :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hey Rafa, I hope this will help and sorry I have not yet been able to make the droid strips available.

photo-22.png

Hey Rafa, here's some pics of the Airfix Scharnhorst, Frog Whitley Whitworth, Hasegawa Essex & Airfix Harrier parts for you.
Ask away if you need more specific shots or measures mate.
Hope they help?.
Stu

Hey Rafa, I hope this will help and sorry I have not yet been able to make the droid strips available.

Hi Nighteyes.

Thank you very much for the image. It's really useful for me. I always thought that these pieces were flatter.:)
Thanks a lot for your help.

Hey Rafa, here's some pics of the Airfix Scharnhorst, Frog Whitley Whitworth, Hasegawa Essex & Airfix Harrier parts for you.
Ask away if you need more specific shots or measures mate.
Hope they help?.
Stu

Stu, these images are a great treasure for my project. Especially the Harrier pics …I'm getting horny.:love
I can't find words to thank you for your valuable cooperation.

Rafa

Hello Stu.

By working with your images, I found a serious doubt. According to the measurements I took from them, it seems that my blueprints were wrong. But if I took as reference the Panther part, it seems that my plans are correct. This is driving me crazy.:eek

Can you please tell me the exact measurements of this central part of the Scharnhorst?

I wait these measures with great anxiety. :confused

Rafa

Hi! Moska.:)

One thing is certain. From my point of view, as for the length of panther part, your plan is correct.:thumbsup

Hello Stu.

By working with your images, I found a serious doubt. According to the measurements I took from them, it seems that my blueprints were wrong. But if I took as reference the Panther part, it seems that my plans are correct. This is driving me crazy.:eek

Can you please tell me the exact measurements of this central part of the Scharnhorst?

I wait these measures with great anxiety. :confused

Rafa

Hey Rafa, ok, hope these actual measures help?.
The extreme length of the Scharnhorst middle section is 65.5mm & the extreme width is 20mm.
The cut-down Panther part sits in a space 21.5mm x 18.25mm.
These are exact measures Rafa, so you were'nt too far off mate!.
Just shows, even pics with rulers next to them can distort to give slightly off measures.
Stu

Well, I already thought my drawings surely are not 100% accurate :behave but is not a catastrophic situation and I can ignore it.
I feel very relieved.
I was very worried that my plans and my pieces were bull**** and would have to start again.
Thank you very much for the information.

Stu, your photos of the Harrier parts have been tremendously helpful and I have already prepared the plans to build them. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas friends. :cheers
Rafa

Note: I hope to finish the Messer part tomorrow. New pics coming soon…

A Perfectionist...!

Congratulations...

My only concern is the nose and the fuselage...!

None of them is perfect still...!!!

But I have fait in you...

Best...

Hey! Moska-san!:)

I made a comparison pic.
At least length and the placement of the parts, both of us are the same opinion.:thumbsup

Anyway, Happy Christmas!:cheers

Last edited:
Hey! Moska-san!:)

I made a comparison pic.
At least length and the placement of the parts, both of us are the same opinion.:thumbsup

Anyway, Happy Christmas!:cheers

Hi atom-san.

I am glad that you confirm that my plans are correct.
I respect your discretion for the phenomenal job you're doing in your X-Wing, for your attention to detail and accuracy.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I invested too much time on my drawings taking all kinds of references available and, honestly, I was very worried when I couldn't fit with eagle1 pics. Apparently, these pics showed more distortion of the apparent at first sight.

Thank you very much for your interest.:)

Rafa

Not completely finished yet but here are some pics of the Messerschmitt part as promised.

Thanks for looking.

Rafa

Attachments

• messerschmitt-01.jpg
    messerschmitt-01.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 704
  • messerschmitt-02.jpg
    messerschmitt-02.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 687
  • messerschmitt-03.jpg
    messerschmitt-03.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 688
  • messerschmitt-04.jpg
    messerschmitt-04.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 687
  • messerschmitt-05.jpg
    messerschmitt-05.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 823
Rafa,

Your approach to breaking down the piece into workable shapes is wonderful, and has given me inspiration to take a fresh look at some of the scratch bits I have been working on.

Well done

Ozzy

atom, ozzyguanche, justice88…
thank you very much for your kind words.:)

Hi Moska, your work is unbelievable. There is no 3D printing involved here at all, is there? Also, how do you make those tiny bolt heads?

Hey crackerjazz, if you look at the first photo in my previous post, the piece that is on the left is the base of the group, and if you look closely, you'll see that there are already holes made ​​to place these bolts. You only need to introduce through those holes small bits of stretched plastic and paste them, once dried, lightly sand until they matched at the correct height.
It's really easy to do.:)

New pics.

The finished Messer part, also the Ticonderoga, and currently working on the piece of Panzerspähwagen 232 that goes into the rear cap of the X-Wing.

I temporarily put aside the droidstrip to see if I can do the part of the Panzerspähwagen because it's a complex piece and I'm not sure if I could get a result that satisfies me. If I can't get it, I'll have to buy the kit. At the moment everything is going ok but ... we'll see how it ends.:rolleyes

Of the remaining pieces, the only worry because I still don't know how I'll make, is that of Bandai 1/15 Stug or Hummel. The piece is not complicated, but the center hole with gear teeth is what I have not decided which may be the best way to do it. I accept ideas and suggestions. :confused

Many thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 232_8rad-02.jpg
    232_8rad-02.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 675
  • 232_8rad-01.jpg
    232_8rad-01.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 634
  • ticonderoga-03.jpg
    ticonderoga-03.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 654
  • ticonderoga-02.jpg
    ticonderoga-02.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 671
  • ticonderoga-01.jpg
    ticonderoga-01.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 585
  • messerschmitt-07.jpg
    messerschmitt-07.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 561
  • messerschmitt-06.jpg
    messerschmitt-06.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 636
Absolutely stunning work Rafa. Each piece is a work of art, I'm blown away by how crisp & precise your work is. How you did that Essex part is just mind-boggling, knowing just how small this part really is mate!.:love

Great start to the 8-rad part Rafa. If your'e not happy with your final scratched part, don't buy the kit, I have a spare I can give you. Of course, I think you'll be able to pull it off.

It is an honor Sir to be viewing this amazing build, from scratch, with not one resin part to be seen.:)

Stu

Thanks to eagle1 and Rodmart85 who were kind enough to send detailed pictures of these pieces, I've finished the first piece of the Harrier. I used the technique I call "The Skewer technique" :lol (When you see the pictures you will understand why this name).

Based on the photographs, I can figure out how to separate the target piece into small parts easy to make and work and that, once joined together, shape the final piece.
When these small pieces are joined on each other forming several layers, it'll make a axis point that will help me to position each in its proper place with no mistake. I make a hole of 0.6 mm at the axis point of each piece and, as seen in the pics, I just need to pass through these holes a small plastic rod forming a small skewer of plastic parts that results in the desired final piece.

In the pictures below you can see the entire process, including the drawings I did for this part of the Harrier. I print these plans with a laser printer and stuck the printed paper on the sheets of appropriate thickness styrene using 3M repositionable adhesive spray. So I can cut each of the small pieces with great precision, making this job a lot easier than it seems at first sight.:love

Thanks for looking and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Rafa

Attachments

• harrier-01.jpg
    harrier-01.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 505
  • harrier-02.jpg
    harrier-02.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 487
  • harrier-03.jpg
    harrier-03.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 381
  • harrier-04.jpg
    harrier-04.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 494
  • harrier-05.jpg
    harrier-05.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 464
  • harrier-06.jpg
    harrier-06.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 519
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back