Judge Dredd ABC warrior references

I was able to get in touch with the artist that created it. The files were lost in a hard drive crash, so cross off one possible source of a 3D model. :(

What a bummer! They had done a really nice job too man that must have taken a lot of time :(

- - - Updated - - -

well there you go oota goota... the fate of the ABC warrior is resting on your shoulders... NO PRESSURE THO!! lol :D

ha ha lol!

well I was going to wait until I had these bits a finished up more but what the hell here a couple of shots of my progress so far. I'm happy with how the build is going except for the speed with which it is going :)

Here's a bit of progress :p

20170307_181826.jpg

A thigh piece. I've left lots of dents an imperfections in the shapes I want to use them later (much later) when painting

20170727_134341.jpg

Foot piece is going good still have to finish up the back. The ankle bit is not attached yet I'm still mucking around with what to do with it

20170812_172741.jpg

Here's one of the knee's. The top curved bit isn't as accurate as I'd like but I've gone too far with it to start again. I'm surprised at the number of differences between the model and the screen used robot.

20170812_173022.jpg

And here's a size comparison next to the model leg. I've realised my ABC is going to be ummm another ABC not a replica of THE ABC is you get what I'm saying. My weathering/ battle damage is going to be different but I'll keep the palette similar

20170812_173102.jpg

I keep finding changes I want to make in the stuff I've made but for the most part I'm trying to ignore the urge to keep refining things or I'll never finish the ******* :)

Everything is vac formed at this stage. I really want to get everything up to the hips made this year (ish). The robot divides nicely at the hips/ waist so they can be totally separate builds and stuck together at the end.......something like that

Last edited:
After looking at dozens of photos, models, drawings, etc., I've come to the conclusion that no two are alike. The movie ABC is different than the model, and the few 3D attempts are different still. If we'd like to wrap some story context around it, we could say that our friend Hammerstein has constantly changed, with parts being added/removed as they wore out or were upgraded. Using that line of thought, it's safe to say that *all* builds are accurate, as the builder is showing Hammerstein at a particular instant of his existance. :)

And the bottom line is: they're all awesome!

After looking at dozens of photos, models, drawings, etc., I've come to the conclusion that no two are alike. The movie ABC is different than the model, and the few 3D attempts are different still. If we'd like to wrap some story context around it, we could say that our friend Hammerstein has constantly changed, with parts being added/removed as they wore out or were upgraded. Using that line of thought, it's safe to say that *all* builds are accurate, as the builder is showing Hammerstein at a particular instant of his existance. :)

And the bottom line is: they're all awesome!

yeah nice one warpig I agree I do like the variations between the builds and the model and screen used robot makes it much more interesting :)

there is an old song... "im so excited... and I just cant hide it.... im about to lose control and I think I like it..." :p

lol funboy you 80's child :) I've had to reposition the ankles and I'm going to widen them they look daft at the moment gah! But yeah overall I'm pretty pleased; dimensionally my robot is scaling up nicely from the kitset model so it should theoretically look pretty close.

I've been playing around with ideas for the leg armature. At this stage it's going to be PVC pipe into a wood block and a T-junction fixed to the top of the block. This will allow me to angle the upper leg and hopefully let me put the robot in either a sit down or stand up position.

Last edited:
just got done doing my 80's "jane fonda" work out.... I think your on the right track, and I agree, get the basic's done and then you can go back and add the "details" and get the "kinks" worked out. ;)

ok a bit more progress. Had a discussion with some mates who visited last weekend about the armature for the robot. The options for me are either pvc pressure pipe or aluminium. Ali would be stronger and thinner and work well but would require a fair bit of welding to make work. PVC is softer a bit heavier but I do have a decent on going supply of pressure pipe that I can get for free. So money talks loudest at this point so I am going to trial a PVC armature and see how it goes. What could possibly go wrong right?

I've built a basic ply box for the wheels of the lower foot. I've got a piece of 60mm pressure pipe that will sit in the box and with the help of a small ply ring hold up the upper foot and knee. There's very little weight in the foot/ knee bits so it's easy to hold up. The 60mm pipe travels up to the middle of the knee ready for the knee joint.

Overall I'm happy with how it's looking in relation to the model and the limited screen shots I have. I've made a few changes here and there but their minor and the legs feel right at this point.

Here's the foot base. Oh yeah I made my bloody side guard bit too short by 20mm and it needed to be taller by about 8mm gah!
20170909_134143.jpg

With attached leg pipe
20170909_134225.jpg

and with attached upper foot/ knee housing
20170909_134341.jpg20170909_134435.jpg

I'm working on a form for the wheel caps and have most of the detail for the back of the lower foot. There's still an additional set of wheels and shocks for the back for the foot. I'm debating whether to make these or not they might have to be added later

you can find PVC pipe connectors-fittings-angles etc. that will fit aluminum tubing. I think you can have the best of both worlds without the welding. :cheers

ok one more I've started mucking around with paint finishes. I've got a rough idea of what direction I'd like to go in but it's fun busting out the paint and having a go :) I'm thinking of weathering it like kitset tank or something but I have no experience doing this

C and C most welcome.

IMG_0277.JPG20170827_144251.jpg20170909_172745.jpg

thanks man I've some paint chipping/ rust effect. Not quite right but definitely heading in the direction I want to go need some decent reference material (and also to finish the robot :) )

Cool thanks fulla I'm working on the groin and hips at the moment and then hopefully I'll be able to put all the bits together to at least have the lower half done. The bottom of the robot seems to be the most work in terms of armour pieces so I'm hoping the top part will go quicker :)

I've decided to leave a lot of the rear assembly for the feet. Looking at the footage I'm pretty sure they did the same during filming. You really only see a lot of that stuff for the 1 or 2 seconds where you see the back of the legs and even then there's no guarantee they were attached to the rest of the robot.

Stay tuned!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back