8 foot enterprise a model.. where is it now?

cerebralsugar

Hey folks,

The 8 foot miniature (ent A at Christies, but originally build for TMP)... does anyone know where it ended up? I've read on message boards and wikis in the past that 1.) Paul Allen bought it. 2.) Ben Stiller (the actor) bought it. Does anyone know for sure?

Granted, if I were lucky enough to have 280k to cough up for it, I might not advertise that I had it. (Especially since I'd have no place to park it but my living room. :))

I'm hoping that whoever has it owns a museam, or will allow it to be shown at one. I'd say it's a bucket list item to see it in real life. (I'm in my early thirties, I (hopefully) have many many years to fulfill this check mark).

BTW, have you guys seen this site? The original spacedock. Awesome!

Starfleet Drydock from TMP - Star Trek TV and Movie Memoribilia

You are sure it was bought?
Large production items are sometmes dismantled...

I was in New York at planet hollywood in 2009 and it was hanging up there and looking good considering its age. The wall placque stated that it was the model from the first film. It was hanging next to the train car from 1979 king Kong. two great peices to see together.

I was in New York at planet hollywood in 2009 and it was hanging up there and looking good considering its age. The wall placque stated that it was the model from the first film. It was hanging next to the train car from 1979 king Kong. two great peices to see together.

NO, that's a copy of the Phase II ship made by Brick Price's shop, WonderWorks. Its not the Enterprise-A.

My understanding is Ben Stiller.

The 8-foot Enterprise (1979) "Hero" model was bought by Paul Allen at the 2006 Star Trek auction. (I don't think he was actually there... He probably bought it through an intermediary.)

It's part of the spacecraft model collection at his Science Fiction museum but not always on public display due to space limitations. I've never been there, never seen pictures of the models.

The 8-foot model is possibly in storage at a warehouse somewhere in the Seattle area or maybe even set up at Paul Allen's personal residence for all we know...

FYI, the 8-foot model has never been displayed in a restaurant. Those Planet Hollywood models were highly modified Phase II casts -- a hybrid of the ST:TMP Enterprise and the Phase II design. Ugly IMHO!

The ST:TMP Hero Enterprise has toured museums around the world, though. Its last public appearance prior to the 2006 auction was probably at the party celebrating the release of the Director's Edition DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I'm pretty sure it was brought out of storage for that event. It WAS the star of what was otherwise a lackluster movie...

I know this is not what you asked, but if you are interested, the original TOS model is in glass at the gift shop in the basement of the Air and Space museum in Wash DC. It's still a breathtaking sight to see and I have already been there a bunch.

The 8-foot Enterprise (1979) "Hero" model was bought by Paul Allen at the 2006 Star Trek auction. (I don't think he was actually there... He probably bought it through an intermediary.)

It's part of the spacecraft model collection at his Science Fiction museum but not always on public display due to space limitations. I've never been there, never seen pictures of the models.
George, I live in Seattle, and have been to the museum quite a few times - never seen the TMP-A there. They do shuffle some things around from time to time (eg Kirk's chair was by the front door next to the Jupiter 2, now moved). I should head back there again soon (prob over Christmas!) and check it out.

Not calling you a liar - i'd love to see it - however if he bought it in 2006, then he would've displayed it by now, at some point. I'll tell ya, Profiles in History would kill to get their hands on even 10% of the stuff in there... the oroginal prop weapon display is something else!

The museum really needs to be organised a little better... it's like all the large stuff (replica LiS robot, Robbie, Deathstar, etc) are just tossed towards the back where they had space left over... :(

Well,

I only go by what Wikipedia and other more senior RPF members who are much bigger Star Trek fans than I am tell me.

Paul Allen owns the model, period. That's an established fact.

The reason why it's NOT displayed all the time is because it's huge and takes at least 4 people to set up!

(Note: The Science Fiction Museum actually closed this past March.)

From Constitution class model - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki -- this is part of a bigger entry about the Constitution Class models in general...

"This model, known as Lot #1000, part of the 40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection auction and estimated at US$15,000-$25,000, was eventually sold on 7 October 2006 with a winning bid of US$240,000 (US$248,800 including buyer's premium). The model was featured in the documentary Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier, as the Okuda's uncrated the model. The model was acquired by Microsoft's co-founder Paul Allen for his Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle, where it currently resides (although due to space restraints it is not on permanent display)."

.....I'll tell ya, Profiles in History would kill to get their hands on even 10% of the stuff in there.....

Where do you think most of that stuff came from???? Walking through there is like walking through a Profiles Auction catalog.....

If you look closely, you will see that many of the items are "On loan from the Paul G. Allen Family Trust." His holdings/collection is not limited to the items on display in the museum.

Gene

For the Ben Stiller / Paul Allen thing.. Is there anything to substantiate either one or is it all heresay?

I also respect the memory alpha wiki page, that constitution class model article is AMAZING. What a wealth of info on it. I'm not sure anything better exists in print or online. Unfortunetly, the paul allen comment is one of the only things on it without a reference.

Anyone interested in the original kirk enterprises, it's an awesome read:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class_model

Here's to hoping it does pop up on display in a public place.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread, the Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture was not bought by Paul Allen after all. It was purchased by Jeff Bezos and now resides in the lobby of his space company. Does anyone know who bought the Klingon Cruiser model? (Not the Bird of Prey but the Battlecruiser built for ST:TMP).

It's good to know the Enterprise model has been preserved but I'm kinda horrified to see it sitting there in the open and unprotected:

Enterprise_Blue-Origin-.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back