Luke Return Of The Jedi Lightsaber

Its the Button that turns on the motor to spin the blade. That saber is Luke's stunt saber from ANH.

Its the Button that turns on the motor to spin the blade. That saber is Luke's stunt saber from ANH.

Absolutely right. :)These "tube" props were pretty popular all around for the first two movies at least. I think there's even one with a short blade in the wampa cave scene

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the non-graflex-based stunt on the right has one of those triangular blades that were used for light reflection/efx. Others from esb had round rods that were slightly tapered, obv made for esb...

Do tell. Care to elaborate on your bold statement?
I beg to differ, and will state emphatically that Anakin Starkiller's statement is 100% fact.

10684-elstreephony1.jpg

10683-elstreephony.jpg

The two above pictures are of the dubious saber made reference to by Anakin Starkiller.

And here is the proof that the resin saber sold by Elstree is a fraud
elstreecrapcm1.png

good call. I figured as much, and i would have loved to see the actual resin numbers they shot out of R2, They look pretty simplistic it would have been a cool prop

hey Paplooo those are very helpful, thank you I really ppreciate you taking the time! I see the V2, the Yuma, some resin/cheaper stunts, looks like the one hanging on his belt climbing is the one stuck in his belt before swinging there. there isn't much evidence of this prop - it looks so OLD though! the browning black color, looks like it was from anh, but it shares all the characteristics of a ROTJ piece

did you happen to catch any of the throne room while Luke was fighting vader? I'm curious of the shared stunt haha

edit: could the prop hanging from luke's belt as he climbs be this?

Last edited:
Gino has a photo on his website comparing a few of these sabers, not claiming ownership or anything, I colored over the shared stunt to see what it would look like black...here it is. pretty close to the one david prowse and luke are holding. Again, thank you Gino

:D sorry I should have clarified. I'm not sure THAT is the shared stunt. The grey and brown are very different from the black we see behind the scenes for ESB. I know it may seem like I'm circling, but this recent development suggests that the shared stunt was blackish as well - which changes a few things. I think I'm trying to work backwards and adjust - if the shared stunt was blackish as well, what are these grey/silver stunts we see? if that makes any sense...haha

Your guess is as good as mine, however don't disregard the mere fact that there were about 3 years between making ANH and ESB. For the later 'shared stunt lightsaber' perhaps even more, since production of props and decoration began in 1976 when the ANH stunt looked much like the hero lightsaber prop: it also may have used to have a brass color neck, kind of slightly darker windvane and perhaps even other silvergrey parts, which I suspect might have become dirty and dark over time due to handling when production finally began on ESB the lightsaber could have easily eroded or even painted over to the now more obvious black and darker color scheme. However like I said at the beginning your guess is as good as mine :D

-Chaim

Ah, good point, thank you Chaim. I forgot my other thought, that saber has a nipple, and Yuma was one of the last things shot right? In the throne room, it's been thought Luke fought with the shared stunt minus the nipple (like it is today) and obviously carried around the V2 when not lit. I doubt the nipple was cut off, reappeared and then cut off again after filming. to me, this suggests two separate props. Anyways you are right, we can't judge color from black and white and forget how long it was between films. There could also be many other props of course. thanks again!

Tom

Feel Free to post anything to do with research in the Replica Props section, I was just sent an email from RPF staff scolding me for not having and showcasing a screen used prop of my own, for that is how the guidelines are interpreted for this section. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Are those rips directly from the Bluray? Because if they are, then the transfer was crap. The images look pixelated and blurry. No fault taken with Paplooo for capturing them, I just am sorely disappointed with the quality of the job Lucasfilm did converting the films to the Bluray format.

Gino has a photo on his website comparing a few of these sabers, not claiming ownership or anything, I colored over the shared stunt to see what it would look like black...here it is. pretty close to the one david prowse and luke are holding. Again, thank you Gino

That photo is not original. It was digitally altered from the SW Archives pic to approximate what the v2 is thought to have looked like during filming

Dan

The V2 isn't in that picture. It's just the shared Stunt, MOM, and Yuma....i colored over the shared stunt to see what it would look like darker.

i heartily agree, though from a historical standpoint. it was based off of the grenade and balance pipe body - which reminds me...the shared stunt was at least grey and copper colored for ROTJ practice, wondering if it could have been like that all along. black and white photos you can't tell brown from grey from dark blue sometimes

Sorry to resurrect an old topic. Does anyone else think the saber used in the final duel with Vader could be the metal Yuma?

If you look at the screen grabs from the Blu ray further up this thread, the 'clamp' box on the Yuma has a little box on the right hand side, this looks similar to the small box on the side of the 'clamp' in the shot where Luke is pointing the saber at the fallen Vader. The necks are the same colour on both and in that same final shot with the saber pointed at Vader though hard to tell it does not look like a Graflex clamp to me, but maybe a machined clamp box with a circuit card slid in?...

I'm a firm believer that the Hero was a cleaned up metal Yuma stunt and I have an instinct that the Yuma stunt was also used in the final duel. That would mean ironically that the V2 was the belt hanger and the Yuma/hero was the stunt.
I'm probably way off and i'm prepared to be shot down. I don't know what order ROTJ was shot, was the duel shot before or after the Yuma barge scenes?

rpf3.jpg

rpf11.jpg

rpf10.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back