Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - New Rivet Solution (thoughts?)

The rivets look great! For future reference I use googley eyes for rivets, if a lot are to be used. They are cheap and come in different sizes.

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - New Rivet Solution (thoughts?)

The rivets look great! For future reference I use googley eyes for rivets, if a lot are to be used. They are cheap and come in different sizes.

That's a FANTASTIC idea!!! I'm totally using that on the other areas of this costume! Thank you for sharing! :):thumbsup

...not much to report from last night, but I wanted to show you want the bolts look like over the ear area.

7561812458_597f970cee.jpg

I will be gluing the bolt heads on the other side and placing the rivets this weekend... which just leaves the vents on the back of the helmet to deal with. :):thumbsup

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Rivets on!

Sorry for the delay in updates... Last weekend, I modified a bunk-bed set for my boys and we started to rip out the flooring in our master 1/2 bath (oh, the joys of home improvement). :unsure

I'll start this minor update with some bad news. Once again, my OCD bothered me enough that I had to take serious sandpaper to the nose-armor to get rid of a small lump at the right edge created by the way the Smooth-Cast settled as I painted it on the foam.

Of course, I tore it up more than I should so I had to go BACK to my flow-able putty to re-store a nice smooth finish. :facepalm
7594043284_24324552e2.jpg

With this now finished, I've started to hit the whole faceplate with some of it's last coats of primer.
7594709658_ab8cd09ae9.jpg

*Note that before I put ANY paint on material that is not hardened (foam, plastic, rubber, etc) I ALWAYS use adhesive promoter to make sure the paint bonds well with all the materials.

I'll say, I'm pretty happy with the rivets. I really like that they have a nice ridged detail that makes them look cooler than some of the other choices I had tried out.

I also measured out and glued all the rivets on the main helmet. I haven't primed this piece yet, as I still need to do the vents at the back of the helmet. These I have marked off, but I'm still working on fabricating these pieces (more about that later).

Here are some pics of the main helmet rivets...
7594713082_aa5ac9b7cb.jpg

7594711784_fb1475824f.jpg

And finally, I went ahead and posted an INTEREST THREAD in the Junk Yard... IF there are enough interested folks, I'll do a run of raw roto-cast helmets.

Moderator rules, all further discussion of this has to be over on the JY thread or via PM. Thanks for understanding! :):thumbsup

Here are some pictures of where the helmet stands tonight:

7594969294_bda6d5ab4c.jpg

7594968314_73421bee99.jpg

7594970352_74fbfd4c18.jpg

This looks amazing and it doesn't even have the eyes in it yet! You gotta get a teaser pic with the eyes held in there!

Looking better and better every day! I cant wait to see it with the microphone piece in there along with the eyes.

You have to be one of the most ingenuitive persons on this forum! Great and inspiring work!

You have to be one of the most ingenuitive persons on this forum! Great and inspiring work!

Thanks, man! :$

BTW, you're TMNT build is looking awesome - I've been lurking on your thread for while. I've never tried a sculpted piece, so I'm always intrigued and inspired when you see a build like yours. Can't wait to see your full suit finished! :):thumbsup

We need just one more person to sign up on the INT post before I can justify the set-up costs for the molds. Check out that thread for more info.

And... just for digital509, here is your requested 'teaser' pictures of one of the lens in the helmet!

7600712110_4856dbca39.jpg

7600712110_4856dbca39.jpg

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Lighted Eyes Test

That looks fantastic, I wish I could afford one of these. Keep up the awesome work :thumbsup

Ohhh man! I know after the MK3 and War Machine I am doing a Steam Punk Iron Man!! :love
This is freakin amazing and everytime I come back it is even cooler! :eekHow will you see out of those lenses? or can you see around/under them like regular IM helmets?
Those rivets and bolts are such a neat repurpose as well. You are completely out of the box here and killing it!! Way way too cool!
M

Now that's what I'm talking about! I love those lenses, thinking about using them for a custom project I'm working on.

How will you see out of those lenses? or can you see around/under them like regular IM helmets?

Right now, the plan is to have enough space between the lighted lenses and the bridge of the nose to allow for limited vision. Since you can't see through the lenses and because they take up so much space, tunnel vision is definitely an issue. It's one of the main reasons we feel a motorized helmet hinging system is vital to the build... because we anticipate needing to have it open for 'walking around' and closed for pictures.

This is also why I'm detailing things for when the faceplate is open (like building the 'communicator'). We're also planning on making-up Digitizit's face with period goatee, smoke & soot on this face (save the eye-area where the 'optics unit' would theoretically rest), etc. We want the costume to look just as 'authentic' with the faceplate up OR down. :):thumbsup

We locked up our FIFTH person for the INT post on the raw cast of this helmet last night, so I'll be able to cover the set-up (molding) costs and make this run happen for anyone that wants to sign up! hurrah!

Last night I also got to play around with some plastic rings used for desk-wiring as an option for the vents on the back of the helmet. This is the only reference we have for this piece within the artwork.
7603521700_9be441bdc1_n.jpg

The rings are 2" in diameter, but lack the vents, so I'm having to create a plastic piece with vent slots for it.

7603229022_15a0d81a16.jpg

However, the biggest challenge for this piece is getting it to conform to the curve of the helmet. :unsure

My half-baked plan right now is to cut off some 'depth' of these rings (which should make them easier to flex) and then apply some heat (from a heat gun). As the ring gets hot and flexible, I'll bend it into the curve I want and then let it cool. Not sure how all that will work in real-life, but that's the plan! :love

Dont know if it is possible or affordable to do 3 builds at once LOL! :eek But I am in on this my friend! If I missed it that would be a huge crying shame. :cry
I just found my 3rd build, definately count me in!:lol

you could mold those rings in a silicon mold, pour them in polyurethane rubber and glue them on. It just needs to last for the molding, like the rivets..Doesnt need to hold on for days of cosplay wear!
M

Last edited:

It's been great lurking on this thread and watching this project evolve. Looking forward to more even more progress shots! :)

First off, thanks for all the encouragement and support! After fabricating each evening, it's awesome to log onto RPF to see all of your comments! :$

Secondly... I should have listened to you about the vents, Electraflier. :behave

Minor update for this evening...

I got time to play with the vents this evening. I finished fabricating the vent plate, trimmed down the depth of the desk-wiring ring, and then used my heat gun to shape it into the slight curve I need so it fit against the helmet.

Here are some pictures:
7607556260_496985288b.jpg

Super close-up of the vent plate and slightly curved black plastic ring it sits in.

7607555494_260bb74ba4.jpg

Good picture of the slight curve... Safety Tip: Don't attempt to bend plastic after you super-heat it with your bare hands - bad idea. :facepalm

...and finally a rough placement picture so you can see where it will be going on the side-back of the helmet:
7607556996_bfe34c59c5.jpg

For this build, my plan is to actually cut holes into the helmet that these pieces will fit down into. That will allow these vents to actually work like, well... vents (including, we hope, electric fans). :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back