Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Hi Folks

While I loved ST-6 (my 2nd favorite ST movie) I always thought the "Firing while Cloaked" thing was a bit overblown as a plot device. Yes, firing under cloak as the big deal they made it to be implies the back-tech story that since cloaking supposedly uses so much power that weapons can't be powered. I always thought the BOP just had another power source added to it for the weapons. Source of a "KISS" fix so to speak. But of course that idea is too real world.

Oh by the way, I totally agreed with your point Jeyl!! Klingons; WARRIOR RACE............. ATTACK from Hiding (ST-6) ....... NO. Their heavy use/reliance of cloaks in ST-6 and beyond to TNG just doesn't fit. Romulans ........... reclusive, behind the scenes, strike from the dark.............. this fits.

DarKev2

In order for the Romulans to become the presence they once were, they should be the only race with cloaking devices. Star Trek III really screwed the Romulans over when production decided to change the villains of the story from Romulans to Klingons since the Klingon Bird of Prey was designed to be a movie era Romulan Bird of Prey. It's kind of hard to imagine how the Klingons, a warrior race so obsessed with honor, glory and fighting face to face would resort to cloaking devices. And it's even more ridiculous when the Klingons can develop a cloaking device that can fire while cloaked, something that not even the Romulans were ever able to develop.

It's kind of hard to imagine how the Klingons, a warrior race so obsessed with honor, glory and fighting face to face would resort to cloaking devices.

(From your favorite series: DS9 "The Way of the Warrior")...

SCENE: Aboard the Defiant (cloaked) while searching a debris field for Cardassian survivors-

Worf: "Sir I strongly recommend against deactivating our cloak; it is likely there are cloaked Klingon warships lying in wait."

Bashir: "Doesn't sound very honorable to me."

Worf: "In war nothing is more honorable than victory."

Just sayin'.

Kevin

His first line "In war nothing is more honorable than victory" is dumb as hell from a Klingon standpoint...

SFDebris, a reviewer who's reviewed a huge chunk of Star Trek material had this to say about the Klingon's standpoint on being honorable warriors.

SFDebris: The Klingons of Star Trek VI irked Gene Roddenberry for precisely the reason I think they're great. They're not the TNG Klingons. The Klingon shift later in TNG, when it went from being great warriors, to being all about being a warrior, to total cultural obsession to being a warrior. It got to be too much. They became space vikings and in my opinion, a stereo type.

It's funny when I look at the deleted scenes for Trek09 involving the Klingons and Nero I realize just how switched these two races are. Not in a bad way, mind you. It's just that the Klingon Interrogator comes across as a very calm and intimidating, where as Nero is the vengeance obsessed person who favors duels with melee weapons and hand to hand combat. If you didn't tell what race these two characters were, I would have said Nero was a Klingon and the Interrogator was a Romulan. And you know what, I actually liked that. Normally being a fan I would call this depiction a grand betrayal, but upon realizing that basing an entire species solely on one character's traits was very unrealistic, I found it rather refreshing.

I too liked Enterprise. We should start a club. Maybe have T shirts, play some video games. Hug. Maybe.

Oh, if Klingons show up in New Trek, I hope they are like the Spartans in 300.

I too liked Enterprise. We should start a club. Maybe have T shirts, play some video games. Hug. Maybe.

Oh, if Klingons show up in New Trek, I hope they are like the Spartans in 300.

What about a get together, i`ll book the phone booth and bring a plate of something sweet AND savoury.

Well, I have issues with a show that has our characters committing acts of genocide and having it play out as the morally right answer deserving of praise and respect.

Ok, so has someone started a pool on guessing how many lens flares will be in Into Darkness?

I guess no less than 5.
:lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back