Mondo Posters & General Poster Art Prints discussion

Vivek

Master Member
Heavy Future: Marty McFly art by Tyler Stout

Tyler_Stout_Marty_McFly_Art.png

Last edited:
Badass Exclusive: Mondo’s CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Print| Badass Digest

I've been hoping that Mondo would release a POTA poster, but they went ahead and released a whole set from all the Apes films :). So happy about it, but I am afraid since I can't afford to fork the $230 for the set tomorrow, I will probably won't have any chance for the individual pieces on Friday either :(. To make things more troublesome I'm traveling out of town tomorrow for the next few days. This is such bad timing for me :(. The only thing worst in terms of not getting my desired poster would be if Mondo ever releases a BTTF poster and I never manage to get it.

The whole set of 6 posters is priced at $230, that's about $38 each and is a good price for an individual print.

Planet of the Apes by Martin Ansin

PLANET_APES.jpg

Beneath the Planet of the Apes by Ken Taylor

BENEATH_APES.jpg

Escape from The Planet of the Apes by Rich Kelly

12840d66f9fc3e2577bf20232ee0812b.jpg

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes by Phantom City Creative

CONQUEST_APES.jpg

Battle for the Planet of the Apes by Florian Bertmer

battle-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-mondo-poster-400x600.jpg

Bonus "Go Ape" poster by Jason Edmiston

GoApe_submission_RVSD.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if your familiar with it already, but Expresso Beans is a great poster duscussion/trading forum. Most of the people there are poster fanatics, and will trade or sell posters at a decent price. Several times now I've been able to find posters I wanted for 1/4th the price people on eBay were asking for. (I even lucked out once and managed to snag Stout's "Inglorious Bastards" print for a cool 90 bucks.)

I'd recomment waiting a few weeks to try buying a poster from the forum, the prices are usually a bit higher right after a Mondo drop, but after the initial buying craze, the prices drop and level out.

So if you do miss the Mondo drop, and you decide to try and snag a few for yourself, buying through expressobeans you'll probably end up paying 60 to 100 bucks a piece. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the retail price, but it's expected when dealing with Mondo prints. Plus, it's a hell of a lot better than paying 200 - 300 bucks to the flippers on eBay.

Thanks aeonpulse. I recently discovered the EB forum and been a member there since December 2011. The Martin Ansin poster is the POTA poster most members are looking for. So even on the EB forum it is going to be very tough to land one under $100, but I am counting on it.

Thanks aeonpulse. I recently discovered the EB forum and been a member there since December 2011. The Martin Ansin poster is the POTA poster most members are looking for. So even on the EB forum it is going to be very tough to land one under $100, but I am counting on it.

The scalpers seem to be holding prices around $100-$150. I'm sure they are calculating eBay/PP fees so that might be the best price. If you can get one with free shipping that would pretty much cut the scalpers profit.

Vivek, those went up about a week or two ago, and people were snatching them up. Then they were suddenly taken down, then put back up. Now if you notice, the site says they're "temporarily unavailable". I'm guessing the artist got a Cease and Desist from LucasFilms, since it doesn't seem like he actually got permission to sell these. They might become available again, but I doubt it.

Of course I could be wrong about why they're now unavailable, that's just my guess.

I love Mondo, I have managed to snag a few of their posters, but sometimes you just have to get lucky to grab them. So far I have the Captain America poster, Iron Man 2 Stout poster and the Transformers DOTM gold edition poster they did. I love the style of their posters and after you see one of them in person you'll be hooked, the screen printing is phenomenal.

I love Mondo, I have managed to snag a few of their posters, but sometimes you just have to get lucky to grab them. So far I have the Captain America poster, Iron Man 2 Stout poster and the Transformers DOTM gold edition poster they did. I love the style of their posters and after you see one of them in person you'll be hooked, the screen printing is phenomenal.

Absolutely, I agree. Tyler Stout is by far my favorite, I've manage to collect a good number of his posters. I currently have his Star Wars set, Inglorious Bastards, Big Trouble in Little China, Kill Bill, Let The Right One In, Monster Squad, and The FP. My total collection of Mondo prints is well past 40.

I first started collecting Mondo posters early 2009, and I've noticed that within the past year and a half the Mondo scene has really blown up. A few years ago it was totally different, even Stout's posters would take an hour or two to sell out online. Now almost every drop seems to sell out within seconds.

I know it's selfish to say, but I miss when Mondo was still relatively unknown. It was so much easier to snag the prints you wanted! It's so much more stressful now! And some of these people don't even know how to appreciate or take care of the work they're buying! It's like some of these people say "Oh, it's a limited number, and in high demand! Now I want one too!"

Seriously, I saw a screenshot someone posted in a poster forum showing off his new print he had just received. It was an Olly Moss print, and he had it stapled to his wall. STAPLED! Rrrrgh!

I'm just ranting now. In short, I agree, I love Mondo. A lot of people complain about their business practice, but it's just because they don't understand how things work, or how Mondo makes money.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the two Stout prints that I'm dying to get my hands on are Blade Runner and The Thing, but I don't count on that ever happening. From time to time they pop up on ExpressoBeans and eBay, but when they do, they always end up selling for over a grand. :wacko

Vivek, those went up about a week or two ago, and people were snatching them up. Then they were suddenly taken down, then put back up. Now if you notice, the site says they're "temporarily unavailable". I'm guessing the artist got a Cease and Desist from LucasFilms, since it doesn't seem like he actually got permission to sell these. They might become available again, but I doubt it.

Of course I could be wrong about why they're now unavailable, that's just my guess.
Yeah I had seen it last week and thought it wouldn't be licensed. But the reason seems to be that the specific printing paper is on back order.

The Beast Shoppe — A New Hope
"Temporarily unavailable as of 2/16/12, 2pm PST

The paper I use for these prints is currently backordered by the manufacturer for about 2 weeks. Once I get new paper in, I will resume taking new orders.

Any orders placed up until this point will be fulfilled"

So.. what is it about Mondo that attracts many of you, just out of curiosity? Is it the name, or is there a certain style/signature to his work? If someone were to make something similar, would it be considered a ripoff of style, a homage, or just an independent piece?

Mondo is just the company. They have artists come up with poster designs and mondo sells them. There's a lot of factors like the movie, the quality of print, the design, but I'd say the main one is the artist. They use some of the best ones out there. I have a dawn of the dead mondo poster and I love it.

dawnregflat_final-700x1050.jpg

I have yet to actually acquire a Mondo poster, managed to get Tyler Stout's Marty art print though. But it's all about the artist and how they manage to capture the essence and theme of the movie for me with their Mondo posters. There will be many artists who are equally talented but haven't done the whole licensing thing yet, hence are yet to be discovered to get wide coverage.

JC Richard's John Carter poster

‘John Carter’: Mondo’s cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com

microcosmicmedia

JohnCarterIMAX_FINAL.jpg

Hmmm, that's a ton of posters they'll be handing out. I'm assuming these will all be digital prints then? And not screenprints?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back