Magneto comic Book style - first pep project - Updated 10/3

Lord Magneto

Sr Member
Well after a few months of lurking I've finally decided to attempt my first Pep build.

Since I'm a huge fan of Magneto I figured I'd attempt to make a Magneto comic book style helmet.

First let me just say thanks to everyone here for posting all of your great tips/photos/suggestions etc. Big thanks to Stealth and his amazing videos.

I decided to document my first project as well because I'm on a few other message boards that have people who are interested in this.

Go easy on me folks.

I was able to find almost all of my supplies over at Walmart.
I went with the 110lb card stock as most of you have suggested. I picked up an x-acto knife and some extra blades

here is a video recapping my first day (basically just cutting the printed files)

IMG_0020.jpg

My first night went pretty well for the noob that I am. I was able to get everything cut and ready for the gluing phase.
IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Magneto comic Book style - first pep project

My second day went really well I basically just went over each piece I cutout and did the scoring of the tabs.

I should mention I'm a parent of a newborn so I dont have a huge amount of time to work on the project as I'd like so I'm taking it a little slow.

My 3rd day I got down to the gluing phase.... which turned into the oh crap this helmet was made for a giant and I need to resize my pep file.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

So I'm currently in the process of making my next version of the helmet.

Even though the first one didnt turn out ok I'm still really enjoying the work and it's fun to be doing some creative stuff again.

Last edited:

I agree. My first try was Warmachine and it looks like he had been thru hell. Practice practice practice they always say.

Once you get the hang of scaling it will all come together. I made myself a useful tool to aid in the process. A duct tape head...
Picture14.jpg

I wrote the measurements right on it so it became easier when scaling.
Picture15.jpg

Good luck.

i guess magneto has a much larger head than us non-mutants, i was lucky enough with my fett helm, was perfect scale for my 'noggin'

:confused (incase thats not a recognised american saying, noggin is English for head) :)

i guess magneto has a much larger head than us non-mutants, i was lucky enough with my fett helm, was perfect scale for my 'noggin'

:confused (incase thats not a recognised american saying, noggin is English for head) :)

Haha I believe we use that saying here as well ;)

Alrighty big update here.

Video 4 - My scaling discussion on how to use Pepakura Designer to rescale your file. As you saw my first few attempts at the helmet were either too large or too small.

Now on to the good stuff...

Video 5 - My semi completed pepakura Magneto Helmet!

I still need to add the helmet details... which im now debating on adding after I harden the helmet.

But here are some pics! Hope you guys are liking it so far. My wife has been yelling at me for wearing it around the house this weekend haha.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0167-1.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0164-1.jpg

Inside the helmet
IMG_0163-1.jpg

IMG_0162-1.jpg

IMG_0161-1.jpg

IMG_0160-1.jpg

Last edited:

Haha I believe we use that saying here as well ;)

thought it was better to be safe than sorry, so included the english to normal person translation

helmet looks to be the right size now, finally

that little do-hickey thing on the forehead area of the helmet looks like a bloody nightmare to cut and glue, my advise for that bit would be to leave it off, do the helmet as you would without it and make it separately and attach later on, just one person opinion though

thought it was better to be safe than sorry, so included the english to normal person translation

helmet looks to be the right size now, finally

that little do-hickey thing on the forehead area of the helmet looks like a bloody nightmare to cut and glue, my advise for that bit would be to leave it off, do the helmet as you would without it and make it separately and attach later on, just one person opinion though

That's also what I was thinking. I figured if I left it on it would make sanding/shaping the top of the helmet more difficult.

That's also what I was thinking. I figured if I left it on it would make sanding/shaping the top of the helmet more difficult.

also, i imagine its hollow the little do-hickey so it wouldn't be very strong even after putting all the coats of resin you can fit on it so adding filler and trying to sand it could turn out to be very difficult, thats why i ended up ripping off the ears from my fett helmet

Last edited:

also, i imagine its hollow the little do-hickey so it wouldn't be very strong even after putting all the coats of resin you can fit on it so adding filler and trying to sand it could turn out to be very difficult, thats why i ended up ripping off the ears from my fett helmet

Yea i didnt even think of that... I'm guessing that part is going to be a pain in the ass to get shaped right with filler/bondo etc

Nice job so far. For the crown detail I would make it out of plastic card and then use model filler of green stuff (2 part epoxy) to do final shape.

Nice job on the helmet, to harden that doo hickey thing that attaches to the front of the helmet, I would suggest the Rondo method, its a mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo, its runny so you can pour it into a small hole to harden that section up, To use this method and learn to mix it just search for it on google or you can go to the 405th.com site they have tutorials how to do the Rondo process also called mud glassing I think

Good luck

Nice job on the helmet, to harden that doo hickey thing that attaches to the front of the helmet, I would suggest the Rondo method, its a mixture of fiberglass resin and bondo, its runny so you can pour it into a small hole to harden that section up, To use this method and learn to mix it just search for it on google or you can go to the 405th.com site they have tutorials how to do the Rondo process also called mud glassing I think

Good luck

i just had to comment because you said do hickey, but when you think about it, there is no better word to use, its perfectly fitting :)

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion... I will definitely look into that.

ugh don't google image search glassing while you are eating... :sick

Thanks for the suggestion... I will definitely look into that.

ugh don't google image search glassing while you are eating... :sick

*shutters*

i dont even want to imagine what that could bring up, i'll keep that in mind for further google imaging, just sounds wrong anyway, "glassing"

Alrighty... here is the next update...

I was able to do the first stage of the Resin process yesterday! My paper helmet is now much stronger and feels almost plastic. I only applied 1 coat of resin to the outside of the helmet. I will be using fiber glass cloth on the inside next.

Items used:
Resin + hardener
Paint brushes from the dollar store
a tin container
Gloves
Respirator
I used an old speaker stand for the helmet to dry on
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0226-1.jpg

IMG_0228-1.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Last edited:

nice idea to just put that bit between the mouth area to hold the sides in place, i'd of ended up holding it for 2 hours to set, the simple ideas normally escape me till it too late

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back