Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

Thanks guys!

Going a little slower than I hoped, but it always seems to be that way. I've cleaned up the bezel a bit, and glued it to a new styrene backing piece. I'll remold it using a technique I learned from REL, that will make a finished part with no need to sand the back side.
P1030311.jpg

And trying to ovoid having any more castings bond the the mold, I'm using the old bottom mold for a test. I sprayed flat black enamel into the mold. The paint won't bond to the rubber, and it will prevent the casting from sticking.
P1030306.jpg

I also tested a new casting method. I made a mix of epoxy with the milled glass fibers and Cabosil. The glass gives it it's strength, but the Cabosil made it light enough that it shouldn't run down the sides of the mold. If this doesn't work out, I'll have to go back to using glass cloth.
P1030313.jpg

The paint barrier worked well, it released from the mold with no problem. The bits of paint left in the mold is where there were air bubbles in the glass.
P1030314.jpg

P1030315.jpg

It didn't run down as much as before, but it's still tough to get an even coat. There are a few thin spots that will need extra material added.
P1030317.jpg

I'm also concerned about brittleness. The gel coat/glass cloth method seems to be the best way to go.

I've been having trouble getting good casts with resin, it's very humid here and it's making the resin foamy. I tried a cast using epoxy and it worked OK. It takes eight hours to set, but since I'm using the same stuff for the fiberglass it doesn't matter. The bezels will be ready when the shells are.
P1030334.jpg

P1030336.jpg

After filling the mold, I sprayed some mold release onto a sheet of acrylic and pressed it on top of the mold. Thanks to REL for this technique.
P1030337.jpg

A paint can weighed it down.
P1030339.jpg

The acrylic sheet gave the part a flat back with no extra material to trim away.
P1030362.jpg

A few bubbles on the back, but it's a good cast.
P1030363.jpg

Starting on the new P2 master. I printed out my adjusted CAD plans on card stock, and cut them out to make templates.
P1030341.jpg

P1030342.jpg

P1030343.jpg

P1030345.jpg

I'm making the master from styrene sheet. Since there are several details that will be made from styrene anyway, I decided to use styrene for the whole thing.
P1030346.jpg

I traced the templates onto the styrene.
P1030347.jpg

P1030348.jpg

Then cut them out.
P1030349.jpg

I'm making it in two halves. I need a side view "base" and "skin" for each side. Once one was cut out, I attached to the second sheet with double sided tape and cut out a duplicate.
P1030351.jpg

The "skin" piece, which will be the curved outer part, has an extra length at the front. The reason for this will become clear later.
P1030352.jpg

Here's why I left extra material on the front of the sheet. The extra length makes it easier to curve it. I left the P1 mount uncut for the same reason, the narrow forehead area would be too hard to curve if cut out. Once everything is glued down, the extra will be cut out.
P1030356.jpg

The bottom view template is being used to make a former piece, which will support the outer skin. After determining the proper size for the left and right sides, I removed some more to compensate for the thickness of the base and skin sheets.
P1030357.jpg

P1030358.jpg

The right side is narrower, so that former has more cut away.
P1030365.jpg

Using files to finish the shaping, with the templates attached as a guide.
P1030366.jpg

P1030367.jpg

P1030368.jpg

Nothing glued yet, but this gives an idea of where I'm going with this.
P1030370.jpg

Man, you got a LOT of great work into this prop. Cant wait to see the finished Phaser 2 you end up with. :thumbsup

Avolow.

Thanks!

More done on the P2.
P1030379.jpg

I'm making the master with the B&W/mid type fins. I'll have to cut them out for metal fins.
P1030382.jpg

P1030384.jpg

First set of shells from the new molds. I'm spraying paint into the mold instead of using mold release, it works great. It doesn't bond to the silicone, but the epoxy bonds really well to the paint.
P1030383.jpg

P1030386.jpg

P1030387.jpg

Sanded down to proper height.
P1030395.jpg

The glass was pretty thick on these, next set is curing now and is thinner. I'll use these thick ones for a static build.
P1030397.jpg

If you look at the shells I made yesterday, you'll see one has a yellowish color. That one was made with the fast curing epoxy, 6-8 hours. The working time was too short for that one, it got too thick and I had to make a second batch to finish. So I used the slower 10-15 hour for the other one. It has no color, and plenty of working time. Set time is no difference really, I just leave it overnight anyway.

I realized I have some of Smooth-On's casting epoxy that hasn't been opened yet. I used it to cast a bezel, it needs 24 hours to cure. I used Task 3 resin for my first few bezels, but the high humidity is making it foam up. The epoxy seems to work just fine, so I'll use it instead.

Well I had to make the bottom P1 mold again! It had a distortion on the front end, making it curve out. Don't know how it happened. But I got a good one finally. It's tough to move forward when I have to keep redoing the same steps.

And the casting epoxy makes great looking bezels, but it takes several days to cure. 24 hours is the demold time, but it's still rubbery at this point. Grrrr.

More done on the P2 master. I taped the base down onto a piece of plywood. I added a small wood block as an alignment guide.
P1030400.jpg

Then I glued the outer skin piece in place. I applied glue to the straight rear portion first, held the part in place until the glue set, then glued the middle part.
P1030402.jpg

Then I glued it down onto the front curve. This is where the extra length comes into play, the plastic won't bend well at the end.
P1030407.jpg

P1030410.jpg

P1030411.jpg

Both halves glued up.
P1030412.jpg

Since I'm using epoxy, I had to find chopped mat that is compatible. Most mats are for polyester only, they contain a binder that doesn't work with epoxy.
P1030422.jpg

For a P1, I cut up the mat into small rectangles.
P1030413.jpg

After gel coating the mold, I brush in some epoxy.
P1030414.jpg

I roll the largest piece of mat around in my fingers, to fluff up the edges.
P1030415.jpg

I place it into the mold and tap it down with a brush.
P1030416.jpg

I add some more epoxy, and tap until the mat turns clear.
P1030417.jpg

Then place a smaller piece at the front, fluffed up like before. I overlap the edges.
P1030418.jpg

Then keep going around.
P1030419.jpg

P1030420.jpg

And keep adding epoxy until it's all done. I swirl the brush around on the overlapped edges to blend the fibers together.
P1030421.jpg

Any left over patches of mat are bagged and saved for next time.
P1030423.jpg

Not when laying it up, I use epoxy which doesn't have much of a smell. But I do when cutting and sanding, it makes a fine dust and all those tiny glass particles are bad for the lungs.

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but I only just discovered this project. I had to bring this thread back to the forefront to say WOW! It is a privilege to watch the process and progress as this beautifully crafted piece comes together. Very well done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back