Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

I have to say that the 60's Trek Phaser was such a detailed prop. It should have gotten more attention for it's time. Rob recreation shows us the cool insides and outsides of this iconic and cool prop. Makes this a very fun read! You go ROB!

Getting very close to painting, so I made a custom mix to match Krylon shadow gray. Satin black, with flat white and gloss blue, gave me the blue gray color in satin. I used some scrap shells to paint on. Bottom shell on the right is Krylon sprayed from the can, top shell on the left is my mix.
P1030825_zps5b899818.jpg

There's no telling what paint was used originally, but shadow gray is the closest out of the can match for the P2. But it's a gloss and I want satin, the originals were dull.

Isn't that what satin and matte/flat clear coats are for? ;)

Yes that would solve the problem, but I want something tougher. I use oil based enamels, and with an enamel hardener mixed in it's tough as nails. I can handle a flat finish all I want without burnishing the paint. I'm not aware of a flat or satin clear coat with that kind of toughness. Plus clear is another coat of paint, and I like to keep paint coats to a minimum.

I second the Dullcote.....it is the best dull finish on the market and it is truly a dull non reflective finish.
Just a little additional information about Dullcote--you have to apply it in numerous light "mist" coats. If you apply too much in one coat it can leave a "milky" appearance after it's dried/cured, especially if it pools in recessed areas.

I used Dullcoat on my models back in the day and it ruined them all, it turned yellow. Maybe it's been changed since then, I'll have to try it out. But if it forms shiny spots from handling it won't do me any good.

The grip/handle is finished and painted.
P1030826_zpsc156146c.jpg

I used a Duplicolor spray that looks like the best match. It's a tough lacquer based paint.
P1030829_zps7e8e1552.jpg

P1030830_zpsc4af4964.jpg

P1030836_zps9dd2aeb8.jpg

P1030835_zps126c2de4.jpg

P1030837_zps8c40de8a.jpg

That looks awesome! I love dupli color. for someone who can't paint like me. I have found It works very well. and also tough..

So beautiful. Nice color choice for the handle too. I love the Duplicolor paints as well; they go on real smooth and dry very well. This phaser is going to be quite the treasure when it's all finished up!

So jealous....man this thing is EPIC !!! when you get this finished , these reference photos os your work , will be done for years to come for people like me to learn your process, congrats on an excellent job !!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back