2011 RPF Secret Santa Gift Exchange (sign up has closed)

I hate to say but with reputation becoming a great new thing here we could base participation on on your reputation. Just a thought and my 2 cents

I only have 1 reputation awarded... :/ Honestly, I think the best way that's been put forth so far is a voucher/witness/whatevertermwewanttouse as to the person and reliability. Simple statistics are hard to run by. I'm an honest and reliable person, but not an RPF power member.

Or, we just go with it as it was and virtually punish those who drop the ball and rely on the awesomeness that is the forum members as a whole to take care of it.

Or, we just go with it as it was and virtually punish those who drop the ball and rely on the awesomeness that is the forum members as a whole to take care of it.

Honestly, probably the best way. Looked at the list again and there are 87 people, with 5 bad apples.

Rep means nothing, and that's from someone with loads. ;)

Alright guys and gals, I thought I would throw my opinion out on this. I am one of those that did not receive, and it saddens me that those few people that signed up and didn't send out a gift has caused so much frustration for us, and most importantly the work that OB has to put in to resolve it.

However, that being said, I don't want to see this thing go away next year, and I don't want to see large restriction being put on people in order for them to participate. Paypal receipts, postings, etc just takes away from what SS is supposed to be. In some small way, I joined this SS thing, knowing that I may get stiffed (hoping not to, but aware of it) but also, I did not sign up to get a gift, I just really wanted to make something for someone.

I am a fairly new member compared to most, and though I have seen a fair amount of posts on people who take advantage of others, I think the number of people who are helpful, and willing to share knowledge, are so much higher than that of those who "SUCK" there is just no other way to put it.

Yes I am bummed out to not receive a gift, but I enjoyed the crap out of making mine, and I was thrilled that my SS loved their present. So win lose or draw, you will see me signed up again next year, and I will be sure to out-do myself.

My secret recipient should have received their gift yesterday hopefully. If not, it should arrive today :).

I kept in contact with them so they know it is on it's way and what the shipping place quoted me for delivery date.

My secret recipient should have received their gift yesterday hopefully. If not, it should arrive today :).

I kept in contact with them so they know it is on it's way and what the shipping place quoted me for delivery date.

They got it, just waiting for them to post here. :)

Fuzzual, that's definitely the spirit. Tonight you'll be getting a PM from me with some more info on your Santa (as will everyone not marked as received).

So like always my responses turn into novels. So instead of clogging up this thread I put my feelings on the SS event on my DA journal here:

Just a bit sad but will eventually get over it by *Eveningarwen on deviantART

If anyone is curious to know in a bit more detail how someone who has yet to receive anything feels then please do read. It's a bit of a downer so if you'd rather be cheery about the whole thing then you probably shouldn't read it lol.

*Sigh*

All I can say is that it's being dealt with the only way I know how. Those who genuinely don't come through will be punished, those who didn't receive will be taken care of.

Nobody was trying to dismiss you for feeling upset. My "only 5 out of 87" was meant to show, like anything, that this is mostly good in response to people posting "we should have all these new qualification rules next time" when in fact the majority of participants were new(ish) members with low(er) post counts and they came through just fine.

You are justified in your feelings and not alone. It drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE that anyone can think to not come through on a Christmas giving exchange. I have to try and be positive though and try to make things right because in a way I feel responsible for everything that goes on here. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet that I feel more rotten about the situation than anyone else. If someone doesn't receive I feel like I didn't, if someone doesn't give, I feel like I didn't give. It's terrible but I keep doing it because, for all the headache and heartache it's worth it. It's ALWAYS worth it.

The risks here are the same as they are in any other "trade" situation on the net. Hell, on the RPF alone I'm out probably about $1,000 or more in past trades. It hurts like hell and you're not alone. The "buck up" is not a dismissal of your feelings, it's genuinely trying to make you feel better and look forward to the GOOD NATURE of the RPF. There's a lot of it if you look.

Hey Arwen
I'm still waiting to, its a pain, but hopefully something will turn up, i put thought into my gift to, and sent a few different small things, plus a card saying it was me, they haven't contacted me or posted anything other than a smiley face, but at least it arrived.
I'm still hopefull the delay is due to the christmas post, and i'm sorry OB has to waste time trying to sort it out

So how about some good news to lighten up this thread? I had some PM's back and forth with my SS because he knew I liked NuBSG so much that he really wanted to get me something from there. Well he eventually found out I'm also a Star Trek nut and sent me something from there.

It's funny, I really do love Star Trek but I have very little in terms of props from the shows and movies! Well, my SS knew how to treat a squirrel right! He got me a QMX Stunt Phaser replica from the new Trek!

View attachment 80012

View attachment 80013

View attachment 80014

The only thing I'm a little ruffled about is that this awesome replica makes all my other trek toys look like the toys they are! Come to think about it, I think this is my first higher end replica I own! Thank-you so much Cenobyte, you absolutely rock! Hell, I've been having so much fun with this thing that I've been running around my office just shouting, pew! pew! pew! Gotten some strange looks from the co-workers!

On a far more somber note, to those who haven't received their gift just yet; just think at how awesome it's going to be when you finally receive something from a more caring member in the weeks to come!

These things happen unfortunately and there is little we can do to prevent it. Post count is bump-kiss and reputation points mean squat. It'll work it self out trust me. This is The RPF, we may argue to hell and back with the utmost ruthlessness about a stupid fraking c-scar; but I guarantee you when push comes to shove we'll take care of our own. Trust me :thumbsup

Last edited:
I completely understand that you are doing the best you can and really do appreciate the hard work you're putting into this. And seriously, I am not mad or anything like that at anyone else. I know that you (OB) are probably virtually running around like crazy trying to tie up the loose ends and are probably more stressed then anyone in having to set everything straight. And I know that everyone will get taken care of. I also hope no one thinks I'm trying to get sympathy votes or anything. I seriously just wanted to vent. Now I have and now I feel better.

My rant was more just about the frustrations of those who took advantage. I just have a really hard time keeping quiet about stuff like this because it's such a selfish thing. It's not only affecting those who didn't receive but also you and those that sent a gift to those people. I really just wanted to give a bit of a voice to my upset not because I want to start anything but just because.....I don't know......because I just felt it needed to be said I guess.

But I'm done...for reals!!....I won't mention anything anymore so this thread can move on to more people posting what they got and turning it back into a fun thread. And once this is all sorted out I will probably be so excited by what I receive and the awesomeness of everyone else on here that I'll completely forget about what happened and will erase all evidence of boo hooeyness.

I also use super a super amount of time because it's super in describing super emotions superly (spell check says superly isn't a word and I say "Nay, it is because I say so with super authority").

My biggest concern at this moment is to make sure that you (and anyone else) don't feel like you're being swept under the rug Eveningarwen. Sincerely you are not. :)

Would I like this thread to be all roses? Yes. But not at the expense of anyone.

Roses are nice , but thorns make a better back scratcher!
O-B, put me on the list for extra gifting if you run short.
Happy New Year to all our Santa's!
Jeff

I did get mine and i do like it but in the future i think SS gifts should be something you make not buy at a store or website.My secret Santa got me a ghostbusters license plate from diamond select toys.I own a celebrity ecto 1 plate already so i surprised my 8 year old nephew with it on Xmas.

Hope everyone had a nice Xmas and new years and thanks again SS

-mike

He got me a QMX Stunt Phaser replica from the new Trek!

View attachment 80012

View attachment 80013

View attachment 80014

The only thing I'm a little ruffled about is that this awesome replica makes all my other trek toys look like the toys they are! Come to think about it, I think this is my first higher end replica I own! Thank-you so much Cenobyte, you absolutely rock! Hell, I've been having so much fun with this thing that I've been running around my office just shouting, pew! pew! pew! Gotten some strange looks from the co-workers!

On a far more somber note, to those who haven't received their gift just yet; just think at how awesome it's going to be when you finally receive something from a more caring member in the weeks to come!

These things happen unfortunately and there is little we can do to prevent it. Post count is bump-kiss and reputation points mean squat. It'll work it self out trust me. This is The RPF, we may argue to hell and back with the utmost ruthlessness about a stupid fraking c-scar; but I guarantee you when push comes to shove we'll take care of our own. Trust me :thumbsup

That is awesome, love that New Trek phaser. (y)cool

I did get mine and i do like it but in the future i think SS gifts should be something you make not buy at a store or website.My secret Santa got me a ghostbusters license plate from diamond select toys.I own a celebrity ecto 1 plate already so i surprised my 8 year old nephew with it on Xmas.

Hope everyone had a nice Xmas and new years and thanks again SS

-mike

i think it should be whatever the SS can do. Not everyone can make something so this would unnesecarily eliminate participants.

If you do not wish the same to happen again
1) Post your collection

or

2) Dont participate

You just basically called out your SS and probably made them feel bad despite your disclaimer.

2) Dont participate

You just basically called out your SS and probably made them feel bad despite your disclaimer.

I agree that was kind of a bad way to go about it, the point is he was in the spirit and gave. That is the whole point of this not to get something you think worthy of your collection.

I'm sorry if I came off ungreatful. I'm very appreciative of what I got and the point I was making about making your own gift would be a more fun thing to do.I just personally thought we were suppose to make our secret santa gifts even if it was good or not.

Orangeblend did an awesome job running this whole thing and I hope everyone is loving their gifts.

-Mike

i think it should be whatever the SS can do. Not everyone can make something so this would unnesecarily eliminate participants.

If you do not wish the same to happen again
1) Post your collection

or

2) Dont participate

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back