Star Trek Prop Authority

You mention that the pics you have of it were taken a while back?
Do you plan to take some new pics now ?

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your kind words. The pics that were mentioned to be decades old were those taken by a former owner of the communicator when he visited the house of TOS Set Decorator John Dwyer. They took a few photos of it positioned beside Mr. Dwyer's own communicator which he had continuously owned from the time of TOS. John Dwyer eventually sold his one through Profiles In History and it is now in the Paul Allen collection on display at the Sci Fi museum in Seattle. So those pics of my communicator next to the Dwyer one are the ones mentioned to be very old. At the time of that photography, Mr. Dwyer and the former owner thoroughly compared the two pieces against one another and Mr. Dwyer indicated that he was confident the communicator now in my possession was authentic. Only the photos of it beside the Dwyer communicator are old (but still quite a decent resolution). The other photos of it in the same article on my site are modern day. It did have texture at one time; but was sanded to be fairly smooth. The textured comms reflected light in a way to give their shells a distinct splotchy / grainy appearance with noticable "pin pricks" of light even at significant distances from the camera - quite different than the reflection patterns observed with the smoother shelled communicators used in TOS. I did discuss that as well, with photos, on my site.

Very Best,
Gerald

Additionally, the Leatherette Tricorder in my collection that is undeniably built of 1966 vacuuform also belonged to the same former owner and was also taken to John Dwyer's home that day, photographed alongside Mr. Dwyer's own Tricorder and found to be authentic after careful side-by-side analysis. I have never heard of another TOS collector whose props were examined side by side against absolutely impeccable screen used ones by a veteran member of the TOS production crew and found to be authentic and also had proof in the form of many photos taken that day of the props sitting side by side. Many detailed pics of my Leatherette Tricorder -- also created by Desilu and not a Wah Chang piece -- can be seen at my site in this post: Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Special PhotoStudy: Star Trek The Original Series Leatherette Tricorder
Here is another article on my site that discusses the tremendous amount of build variation found amongst the screen used Tricorders of TOS:
Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Design Features of Screen Used TOS Tricorders There are lots of photos and screen captures to document all of the differences observed in the major design features. Regarding my Leatherette, I have found a screenshot of Spock holding a Tricorder in "The Empath" which is definitely a Leatherette (as the material surrounding the delta accent on the larger lower drawer can be seen to be partially detached from the surface of the drawer) and also has a stitched carrying strap, small sized TV screen, and silver bottom metal plate (quite rarer than most Tricorders which just had black bottoms) -- all of which are also characteristics of my own Tricorder. Yet the Tricorder in the screenshot is still too small to match up unique contours of components. Still, the odds must be very small of finding such a screenshot that shows so many common design features to my own Tricorder given the tremendous amount of variation that was brought to Tricorder construction. Another similarly intriguing screenshot exists from "Spock's Brain" with Scotty carrying a silver bottomed leatherette.

Very Best,
Gerald

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/06/special-photostudy-star-trek-original.html

Last edited:
Furthermore, regarding those remarks earlier in this thread about a former owner of some of my props (not the same gentleman who took the photos with Mr. Dwyer) casting doubt on their authenticity; that is not an entirely complete revelation of the facts. That collector, who was a close friend and someone I considered to be an expert on TOS props, confided privately to me that he did believe they were authentic, but felt compelled to publicly express doubts out of fear of suffering economic reprisals if he did not. A significant portion of his income -- income that was important to him -- was derived from producing and selling replica props on ebay. He truly could create some great resin castings. Because of the mean spirited nature of attacks he was suffering in the internet forums by some truly ignorant naysayers (who knew nothing about TOS prop history or research), he felt they would tarnish his reputation and seriously adversely impact his earnings. For a time, his hours at work in his regular job were greatly reduced, making the ebay earnings all the more important. So he did express some public doubts -- a fact which the naysayers here have jumped upon and bandied about as "evidence" in this thread. However, I am confident I know his true sentiments. He passed away a few years ago - very sadly much too soon. I have greatly missed the hours we would spend on the phone talking about all aspects of TOS. This is the absolute truth on that issue.

Gerald

Last edited:
Gerald,

To clarify; there are no "naysayers" here but only people who want to see proof of your claims just like with the Shatner tunic. Regardless of your long rambling posts you have failed to do the simplest thing which is to post hi-res photos of your comm. Let us see the proof. Again, reading through your entire blog you do not prove anything with facts. For example; like the chain of ownership from the Desilu studio to you; that is proof not blury photos with photoshoped dimensions on them showing a "match." Lets not re-write history about what has transpired here; lets stick to the facts please. You have failed to take the simplest steps in proving anything. Can you post clear photos of the comm? Do you still have it? What is the problem here?

You accuse me of not having an open mind yet you have provided no proof but only keep refering back to your 4 year old blog which does not have defintive proof in it; I'm sorry but that is the truth. I want to believe this is a screen-used comm but I'm not stupid enough to believe it without proof. As you know the history of TOS props is riddiled with fakes which is why the standard of proof is high and one you have not met regarding the comm. I'm trying to be reasonable but your constant attacks and side-stepping of the issues puts you claims in doubt (as it would for you as well). I think the work you did on the recent Shatner tunic was great and the proof undeniable. I wish you would do the same with the comm and quit side-stepping this issue.

Last edited:
You have quite a chip on your sholder. I'm sorry that asking for proof to you translates into "mean spirited ignorance." Yet you still address nothing which further puts your claims in doubt. I have not done anything in "ignorance" or "mean spirited" and it is you sir who continually trash me in an obvious effort to once again side-step the issue. One that you could easily resolve by posting a few hi-res photos. One has to question why you continually refuse to prove your claims. It would be nice instead of attacking me if you would just address the issue like a man without all of the insults. I will continue to ask for proof of your claims. Please prove me wrong!

Last edited:
This also sums it up quite well:

In truth I've provided much significant information on my site and in this thread; which was immediately dismissed by you without any thoughtful examination and certainly with a great lack of professionalism. The photos taken in the Dwyer home were taken decades ago and, while not hi-res, are certainly sufficiently clear to identify the communicators involved and many significant aspects of their construction details. Your facade of open mindedness is merely that - a facade - as proven by your own unreasonable comments in this thread. It is quite pathetic and demonstrates a fundamental lack of expertise in TOS.

Very Best,
Gerald

Three repeat posts: really?

Once again a bunch of non-answers.

Your childish posts and continual refusals tend to make me believe that you don't even have the comm. It's the only thing that makes sense. Any normal person would love to showoff their screen-used comm, post photos and talk about it. You simply avoid any verification of its authenticity and continue to attack me. Although I am persistent regarding proof of what you claim; I have been nothing but respectful to you and you have continually avoided any serious discussion about the comm and simply attack me personally. Very impressive and pathetic

Without being "mean spirited" do you even read my posts?

Last edited:
I would also love to see some more pictures , some of the inside, as far as i can tell form the pictures posted it looks nothing like any screen used communicator i have seen just my two cents :cool

And again as before you have failed to present any relevant information. This is not the behavior of a "prop authority" who owns an original screen-used comm. More typical of an internet B.S.er who talks big but can't back-up what has been said . . . so he resorts to attacks. A far too common occurrence on the internet. If you have the comm post photos; if not quit wasting our time and bandwidth. This is pathetic!

I would also love to see some more pictures , some of the inside, as far as i can tell form the pictures posted it looks nothing like any screen used communicator i have seen just my two cents :cool

Obviously your opinion must be considered in relation to that of John Dwyer who deemed it perfectly authentic after a side by side comparison with his communicator. John Dwyer actually worked on TOS, you understand?

Last edited:
And again as before you have failed to present any relevant information. This is not the behavior of a "prop authority" who owns an original screen-used comm. More typical of an internet B.S.er who talks big but can't back-up what has been said . . . so he resorts to attacks. A far too common occurrence on the internet. If you have the comm post photos; if not quit wasting our time and bandwidth. This is pathetic!

It became apparent to me very quickly that you instantly dismiss any relevant information that is presented, deeming it to be of no consequence, when it doesn't conform to your version of the truth.

Still no photographs?

Yes, I know who John Dwyer is. I also know that it was a job he did 30 years before and memories and details fade over time. There are many errors in the Solo / Justman book because of that. Even Wah didn't get the facts correct when discussing the comms. It was just a job to these people not a passion like it is for us. That being said you still have not presented any relevant information as you claim. You simply deflect any suggestion that would resolve this controversy which is to post a few photos and show us your prize. You instead opt to continue to post recycled comments that you previously made. They are as irrelavent now as they were when you origianlly posted them. It is painfully obvious that you:

A - Know the comm is a fake and are afraid to post photos because it will be obvious that it is not authentic; thus damaging your self declared expert status or

B - You don't even have the comm.

In any case the results are the same. You have made a fool of yourself with your bulstering nonsense. Put your money where your mouth is; although I'm sure you won't and will continue on with the same nonsense that you are known for and are proving here with great zeal, lol

Still no photographs?

Yes, I know who John Dwyer is. I also know that it was a job he did 30 years before and memories and details fade over time.

John Dwyer performed the detailed comparison with his OWN communicator sitting just inches away from my communicator much less than 30 years after the show finished production. Are you saying that he still couldn't form a meaningful opinion when his own communicator was sitting inches away as a reference? You obviously must have little respect for him as well.

The only thing that should be painfully obvious is that I care very little about your opinion or about jumping through a series of unending hoops

Last edited:
Yes very cool site. Nicely done.
Are we still debating if this smooth communicator is real?

I have never heard of a real communicator that was smooth. Which means, absolutely nothing.

I have a friend who insists Desilu did make some replacement communicators in addition to the original 8 that WAH made. He insists he has one. The Wheels on it, are aluminum, and claims there is a screen shot of MrCoy with one in the SPOCKS BRAIN episode that shows him with that very communicator.

His name? Bruce Wegman.

IS he right? Put 50 people in a room, you will get 50 different opinions on why or why not.

If only we could take a time machine back and check, I bet we would have 50 people sitting in a room quiet, realize everyone was wrong, about everything.

Wouldn't that be funny.

John Dwyer performed the detailed comparison with his OWN communicator sitting just inches away from my communicator much less than 30 years after the show finished production.

And ...
It became apparent to me very quickly that you instantly dismiss any relevant information that is presented, deeming it to be of no consequence, when it doesn't conform to your version of the truth.

So you say. Hearsay is not proof my friend. Given what you have said here I give very little credence to anything you say. For all I know Dywer laughed and said it was an obvious fake, lol. Thanks for recycling the comment again; it just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Last edited:
You are instantly dismissing any information provided; even calling John Dwyer's opinion hearsay.

I would call John Dwyer's opinion an informed expert opinion.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back