The Enterprise Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may make it return but it's low priority right now and can always be done later. I need this chair camera ready in about two weeks so the push is on.

I just laminated a bunch of wood boards together to make the arm rests tomorrow. Should be dry in the afternoon. Mean while I'll be sheeting the column next. That shouldn't take too long.

The chair itself is ready to foam and cover with vinyl. It was the hardest part to get looking right.

I should have all my parts for the consoles tomorrow from Bruce Boyd. Including the intercom master which I need to make a new mold off of.

JM I don't think I'll do that but someone should.

Here's a picture as she sits now. More tomorrow. I'm worn out I feel like I've been wrestling with a 400 lbs. Gorilla. This is a real big model. The first every I can actually sit in. Hmmm....

Thanks you guys,

Steve

IMG_7972.jpg

Steve,
First of all, I followed your E build and really want one but like most others, can't afford it. Amazing work.

Second, to get the auto-return to center, you could probably just attach a pair of low tension springs to the bottom (one on each side) to get it to return. Not much effort in to doing that.

Thanks for showing your incredible work for all to see.

BTW - your Spock ears bring back childhood memories. When I was a kid, I used to watch Star Trek with my dad and thought Spock looked so cool. I really wanted some Spock ears so I sent a check off to some company (way before internet shopping) that was selling them but I never heard back from them. I was quite bummed. I wanted to look like Spock.

I may make it return but it's low priority right now and can always be done later. I need this chair camera ready in about two weeks so the push is on.

I just laminated a bunch of wood boards together to make the arm rests tomorrow. Should be dry in the afternoon. Mean while I'll be sheeting the column next. That shouldn't take too long.

The chair itself is ready to foam and cover with vinyl. It was the hardest part to get looking right.

I should have all my parts for the consoles tomorrow from Bruce Boyd. Including the intercom master which I need to make a new mold off of.

JM I don't think I'll do that but someone should.

Here's a picture as she sits now. More tomorrow. I'm worn out I feel like I've been wrestling with a 400 lbs. Gorilla. This is a real big model. The first every I can actually sit in. Hmmm....

Thanks you guys,

Steve

IMG_7972.jpg
Steve needs this done in two weeks, I say he has it done in about a week Steve is no joke when it comes to building.:)

Steve , if you need any speaker material for the intercom ...I have some extra you can have.
PM with your address if you need it and I will send it out first thing Monday.
Mobius

Thanks sooo much Mobius but Bruce just sent me that very thing. Bruce Boyd sent me a package today that's outstanding.

Got a lot more done today and I'm working on the arm rests still. Video is on the upload that will explain.

Thanks again Mobius!

steve

IMG_7978.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

WOW it is really coming together quick, it is really starting to look the part cant wait for the video.
I need some of those controls for my upcoming build : )

The accuracy of this strikes me..:thumbsup

BTW, what material is that for the intercom? Looks identical to that which is used on the show! Is it still in production/expensive?

Scott.

Last edited:
Scott I have no idea but Bruce sent me two pieces of it so I'd have to say it must be, Heck they still make the same indoor outdoor carpet.

Steve

I have some of the cloth, it is speaker grill cloth from the old Fender amps you can still find the stuff quite easy.
A light coat of grey primer and it looks just like the screen used stuff.

So very full of awesomeness my friend!
Been fairly busy over here, but I'll try giving you a call Monday sometime if that's cool.

Steve, when you finish this project will the chair reside in your man cave, or will you be making any more "Lets Get Her In Space" episodes?
The chair looks astonishing! I was looking at some TOS episodes yesterday and you have made the chair's twin! I can't wait to see it finished!
Mike

I have some of the cloth, it is speaker grill cloth from the old Fender amps you can still find the stuff quite easy.
A light coat of grey primer and it looks just like the screen used stuff.

Of course!! I used to own a Fender amp (Marshall now), no wonder it always looked a little bit familiar!

I'm hoping the chair will make it in front of my computers work station. But the wife kind of wants it in the house, We shall see.

The Madison chairs fit to the outer consoles still has to be adjusted. The arms are a bit high in front and back. All this is just simple adjustments.

All the holes are cut in the consoles for the buttons and switches. Colored resin buttons are not glued down yet but every is now in it's proper position.

I removed some of the screws from the pedestal and the wood glue held just perfect.

Next up is to sand, fill gaps and sand some more. I'll get a coat of gray primer on it this week and the upholstery materials for it. But the entire structure of the chair is in fact built and all parts present. It took 7 very busy bu fun days.

Now the real fun starts of finishing it.

Steve

IMG_7979.jpg

Nice looking throne you've got there Steve. It would totally rock as a computer work chair, or a home theater seat. Build a wireless mouse, or TV remote into the arms and you're set :)

You should consider yourself lucky that your wife would want it in the house, most guys aren't so fortunate. Heck that gives you an excuse to build two! His & hers :love

You definitely have THE chair for your office to sit in throne like when you have a business meeting! Louis B Mayer would have totally had this with some extra low-chairs in front of it to listen to pitches had it existed when he was running MGM!

Googling around the interwebs to look at other builds of the chair I ran across this build guide that was so hilariously unhelpful I just had to share - Difficulty Moderate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back