The Abyss Submersibles Project

With some of the amazing goodies you found in your grandfather's office, you've pretty much made me and others very happen knowing that you have good intentions for those items. Some of which have not seen the light of day for over 25 years, and now is probably the time to show the world. Very generous of you to be doing this.

Thank you all for finding and relaying all that great reference material. I always wanted a DeepCore 2 model, and I see that many of you are working on yours (or Cab models).
Using the LEGO Digital Designer, I have made a DeepCore 2 model, and will be assembling it soon. I will post pictures. Thanks again for all of your help (blueprints, CAD drawings, screenshots, etc.).

One of the things i've wanted to try since moving to Arkansas is an underwater ROV. The rivers and lakes here are either crystal-clear or fairly clear, unlike my home state of Ill-Annoys.

Several of the larger lakes were created by damming up a river in the 1940's-1960's, so there's alot of debris and buildings submerged. Plus talking with local divers who get called out on SAR ops, they hate some of these lakes ...they complain about the darkness and all the structures/ rocks to search around. When i mention LED's it seems they are still using Halogen...yikes!

And none of the communities SAR units seem to have an underwater ROV. So it'd be cool to have one that could stay down awhile and send back good video. I remember the super-cool submersibles in the Abyss, and this thread contains a link which has given me alot of reference photos. Much thanks for that BTW.

I tend to build everything...electronics, welding/ fabrication/ lighting...and it wouldn't bother me at all to have a 1/4 scale Flatbed operated from a used pontoon boat above.

The fluid breathing suit, a steal at 15 grand!

http://www.icollector.com/The-Abyss-1989-Sci-Fi-Movie-Production-Used-3-Pc-Space-Suit-Costume-Prop-Lot_i21796131

Last edited:
Deepcore having the final touches put on it at Design Setters in Burbank California back in the day. I am the one in the middle adding some weathering to it. Deepcore.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_065937_826.jpg
    IMG_20161128_065937_826.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 303
"Bigature" it was indeed! 16 feet wide, 22 feet long and almost 8 feet tall. It was a gorgeous model shot "dry for wet" on a smoke filled motion control stage at Dream Quest Images in Simi Valley, California. One of the biggest challenges with this model came towards the end of the shoot. Jim Cameron wanted a shot during the chase scene of Flatbed sideswiping the lower cylindrical section of Deepcore as it pursued Cab. The Flatbed model was hung on wires like a marionette and because of the main overhanging framework of Deepcore it was not possible to get Flatbed in close enough to look like it made contact. The only solution was to film the entire shot upside down.

Now Deepcore was never built to be flipped over on it's back. It was really more of a miniature "set" than a single structurally stable model. There was no central framework or chassis, just a bunch of plywood boxes, cardboard tubes and PVC pipe held together with drywall screws. It also probably weighed 1500 pounds or more! Much to big and heavy to flip over by hand. The only option was to use a bunch of electric hoists and straps to lift the model up, roll it on it's side and then flip it and lay back down on it's top. Unsure if the model would survive or break into a thousand pieces I insisted that Jim sign a letter acknowledging that the model was not built for such a maneuver and that in might not survive.

Flipping the model over was one of the most terrifying things I've ever had to oversee on a stage. Deepcore creaked and groaned and there was the sound of screws ripping out of wood but somehow we were able to get it flipped upside down with a minimum of damage. The shot was a success and is one of my favorites of the film. I don't think anyone would suspect it was filmed upside down!

So did we flip it back over when we were done? Nope, we chopped it up with a chainsaw and threw it all in a dumpster!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back