The Abyss Submersibles Project

Amazing stuff on this thread. I'm eager to watch this film again soon. I recently found out that a friend of mine produced one of the creatures for the film:

10609143_10202458604012843_732270838_n.jpg

His words:

"Its a blown glass pyrex vessel with a bitnof uranium glass on it...filled with krypton,xenon,and neon gas for the plasma look, then Dreamquest shot it and added some more light effects."

Such an amazing film. All the best with your project!

10609143_10202458604012843_732270838_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been my favorite thread on this site. The abyss is one of my favorite movies mainly because of the submersibles, so with all of the original pieces and photos this is great! So why haven't these been recreated?

Took the Abyss paperwork home with me today when cleaning up my grandfather's office.

Formal inside designs for the dive pack:
IMG_20140907_142920.jpg

Map of the filming location that was handed out to staff and crew that worked on The Abyss:
IMG_20140907_143236.jpg

Because of you Caboosey and others here who worked on the movie, we should re-name that thread "Treasures of the Abyss":cool

I'm so happy on finding these. I was reading my grandfather's log book about how 3 divers got shocked by some underwater lights and 16 hours a day of diving. I also have 3+ months of original movie daily schedules. The Abyss anniversary of filming it is coming up. I noticed the the dates started in late September 1988.

Better resolution of the filming location map:
IMG_20140907_185740.jpg

Another map of filming location map:
IMG_20140907_190903.jpg

Firing Key design for the Navy sub in the movie:
IMG_20140907_185111.jpg

The Abyss Production Notes:
IMG_20140907_190328.jpg

Last edited:
I grabbed some historical aerial photos of the filming location from USGS. I was curious.

Feb 15, 1984 aerial photo:
Abyss_aerial_1984-02-15.jpg

March 26, 1989 aerial photo:
Abyss_aerial_1989-03-26.jpg

I finally found the some rare VHS tapes of The Abyss today. Looks like some rare behind the scenes video possibly. I just need to find a VCR. LOL. I got video capture card for the computer to convert VHS to digital, but just need a VCR. Looks like I got new project to do. :)
IMG_20140921_004608.jpg

And I decided to take a selfie today with one of the original doors from The Abyss:
IMG_20140920_173713.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Caboosey,
Believe it or not those two photos are in a photo gallery on disc 2 of the old DVD special edition, I had no idea however your grandfather-in-law was one of them Thanks for sharing your pics of his terrific work!

- - - Updated - - -

Cant wait to see the videos!!

I found a 2nd copy of the drawing of the Flatbed D2 yesterday that i'm keeping personally (along with those VHS tapes earlier posted). I had to scan it 4 times, then combine and align them in Photoshop. The original paper is sized at 17 inches by 12.75 inches. I have a higher quality in psd format (610MB) and jpg format (53MB). PM me if you want the higher quality scan files. I am attaching the smaller version on here.

Abyss-D2_small.jpg

I'm itching to watch this film again, sadly i don't believe it's out on blu-ray or online anywhere. But if every it see's an updated release, your amazing findings would definitely make great supplemental material on the extras! :-D

I've seen some The Abyss Special Edition floating around on Blu-ray. Amazon does have the DVD version available for less than $10.
http://amzn.com/B00008G8LY

I just finished watching one of the VHS tapes of majority rare never seen before behind-the-scenes video footage of The Abyss that's not in the DVD or Blu-Ray Special Features section.. I brought home the VHS tape player and Hi8 tape player today. The videos are amazing and in great quality. I just need to hook up the video capture card to the computer.

I also took home many photo negatives and developed photos taken behind the scenes of The Abyss and Titanic.

If anyone is interested in buy the Flatbed D2 drawing, there is a bigger version framed in a big picture frame with glass protection being put up for sale soon in Santa Barbara, California area if anyone is interested.

Here is a rare behind the scene photo of the Flatbed hanging over the water:
img028_small.jpg

Just saw this thread and I'm glad you guys dug it up again. I saw the movie when I was a kid and loved it. I wanted to grow and be a sea diver so I could play these cool mini subs. Well, I for one will love to see if this ever comes out as a decent size kit/s. Also, nice to some cool behind the secene photos and art ;) Thanks for sharing guys :)

Well, I for one will love to see if this ever comes out as a decent size kit/s. :)

What I'm aiming to do is create a 1/24 scale kit of Cab, about 8 inches long, and if those do well then consider a Studio Scale (1/8) kit, about 24" long. Obviously a studio scale kit would be a huge investment in mold rubber alone!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back