The Abyss Submersibles Project

Hi Dave, Wow! What treat... It would be great to see a Abyss submersible model kit... Thanks for taking the time & effort to bring this project forward... Randy:thumbsup

Yep. I worked on the Abyss. I built the manipulator arm for Flatbed!

abyss1.jpg

abyss2.jpg

I was working for Don Pennington. Actually, it was my first time working for him. His company built the full-size submersibles.

Scott

Ha! This is great! When I was at USC Film School, we tried to get a tour of DQ, but someone blabbed about it and it got shot down by Gale Ann Hurd.

We had a special effects club at the school called SCFX (which is still going) and we tried doing some dry for wet in "The Abyss" style. I made the model and we smoked up one of the classrooms (setting off a smoke alarm in the process. Or maybe we disabled it and that's what set it off...... fuzzy on the details....). I built the model and we used brown paper for the rocks -

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still have the model in a box in my garage.........

And here's the kicker David - I worked with you and Josh on "Flight of the Phoenix" over at R&H a few years ago. Full circle. Weird.

Gene

wow those pics look great!

i wonder, where are the full size flatbed and cab one? where they destroyed after filming or are they still around? or even the minatures?

http://www.eonentertainment.com/

found it on IMDB, says its a 2-disk dvd versuin of the making of the aliens in the abyss. has anyone seen this?

Last edited:
The full-size subs were built around actual pressure spheres that were really expensive. Owned by a company in Canada called Can-Dive, if I recall correctly. So, those definitely had to go back. I don't know what happened to the remains.

Scott

Yes, Flatbed was built around the Can-Dive Deep Rover submersible. The Cabs were built around another type of submersible from Canada. There was also a full size dummy Cab Three for crashing around the Moon Pool set. When the movie was finished the submersibles were stripped back to their original configurations and returned to their owners.

There were two 1/8 scale Flatbed models and three Cab models originally built for the movie. One of the Flatbed models was destroyed, intentionally and on film, for Lt. Coffey's demise when it imploded. The other Flatbed is in the hands of a private collector. I think Cab One was given to Jim Cameron and the hero Cab Three was wrecked for some post Deepcore crash shots.

We also built a 1/14 scale model of Flatbed, I have no idea what happened to it, and another model shop built radio controlled wet for wet 1/4 scale Flatbed and Cab models for the chase sequence.

An update - Jim Cameron has the 1/14 scale Flatbed but it was badly damaged when it took a dive off a shelf. It's being restored now.

Last edited:
Here are a couple more work in progress renderings of the computer model of Cab. The hull is based on direct measurements and will be refined after I get the model scanned. There are some details, such as the underwater lights and mounting straps for the oxygen tank that are based on the full size submersibles rather than the models.

111029WIPRendering1.jpg

111029WIPRendering2.jpg

Timeslip - got the plans yesterday. Thanks a lot. They are fantastic. If i get time over the holidays, I may redraw them in Sketchup for easier use in scale modeling. Thanks again.

I got a slide scanner and have started digitizing the (hundreds) of photos I shot while working on The Abyss. In no particular order, I'll post some of the more interesting.

Here's one of the Flatbed models under construction. In the box are castings of the rails that went on the bottom of the sub.
25-7636.jpg

Here Cab One is being set up to approach the wreck of the Montana. On the left is the motion control camera. The gentleman with the red hair is Mike Bigelow, one of the Effects Cameramen.
25-8093.jpg

The 1/8 scale Flatbed and Cab Three models being worked on in the shop. On the table in the background is a rare glimpse of the 1/14 scale Flatbed model. Only used in one shot in the movie.
29-8141.jpg

There were eight, 1/8 scale diver puppets made to ride on Flatbed "Like itinerant farm workers riding in the back of a pickup truck." (JC). Here the helmets are being assembles with working lights and other detail parts.
29-8145.jpg

More to come...

Here's the 1/8 scale wreck of the Montana.
28-8166.jpg

28-8170.jpg

The sub was 6 feet in diameter and 70 feet long. The rock wall was 18 feet high.
28-8177.jpg

All that's left of the U.S.S. Montana, bound for her final resting place in a Ventura county landfill!
M-01.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back