The Enterprise Restoration Project

Oh, no worries it's on the list. In fact, I've had that very picture collage on my desktop for awhile now. That's been a perfect example of the personal style choices Ed made. He really treated that model like it was his to play with.

These are some pictures I took in April 2009. The first one shows some damage to the back of the nacelle, and in the bottom one you can make out where the tail pipe sign used to be.

I've seen that picture a lot. Could someone please explain to me what the difference is?

I hate to admit it, but I can't really see what MAX is illustrating by the pictures alone. I can see the damage on the "linear accelerator" (I think that is what it is called). I just can't make out what changed when it was placed back on the model. Max, can you please point out what might be obvious to everyone else? Unless it's the very tip which appears to be flat in the before restoration and rounded afterwards.

Thanks,
Marc :thumbsup

Hope this happens - the ship as is now, is NOT the Enterprise in all her original Matt Jeffries glory & genious. As Picard would say - "Make it so"

Unless it's the very tip which appears to be flat in the before restoration and rounded afterwards.

Thanks,

Yes, that is it.

Perhaps the attitude that such minor changes (and the major ones as well) are no-big-deal, comes from the fact that Ed was such a well known modeler with a reputation as being one of the best in the industry. To my mind the man was a creative modeler, that’s what he was good at, but creative types usually find it hard to be a technician only and just follow the written rules, or in this case, make her just like she was. Artists like to add their own creativity to things and that is exactly what he did.

I don’t agree with what he did but I do understand where he was coming from.

RW

Last edited:
Interesting project idea. I hope it comes to fruition (I think it will if you guys are patient and dilligent). One person worth recruiting would be Gary Kerr as he took some excellent documentation of this ship while it was disassembled to get some good samples of the colors and hints as to how various aspects were constructed. That way he could provide some possible keys as to how the ship looked when Ed's team did their disassembly.

Now the one question I inevitably have to ask is if the plan is to still do it as a restoration (perhaps with some augmentation for structural support) or are there plans to make it more than it was? I think the big rub people have with Ed's work is it was sort of made more than it was, hence the augmented weathering appearance. When done, this is still going to be like the studio model right? With the unfinished left side and all? Reason being is there might be calls to want to "finish" the model (when it doesn't need finishing).

The biggest challenge I ultimately see is going to be the engines. Even if the struts are modified to keep them from sagging right away, the engines themselves will likely still need to be braced while on display (except for short periods) as ultimately, I don't believe any of the original designers and builders imagined those warp engines were going to be installed for decades at a time. Finding a structural engineer with knowledge of the woods and adhesives used at the time would be a smart thing to do as well (heck, the Smithsonian and plenty of other instututions do that to make sure their restoration work is not only good, but that what they do ultimately doesn't cause problems decades down the road, such as with corrosion, wood rot, environmental factors etc...).

This would be a very cool project to take part in. Granted I think you have elements of a good workforce to take part. I would love to be able to document the work in the process if I lived in California (which I don't, but I can still dream).

I'm not too concerned about getting her back in shape. It will take months of very careful work but it can be done. That's enough from me and I think as John moves along at his break neck speed this is starting to look more like a real deal everyday.

The people involved and behind this at this point have a lot of pull. Have faith and we'll get it done.

My idea was to have her shipped back home and restored in the very building she was originally built in.

Believe me Max if our government doesn't have to pay for it will make a difference. Money talks bull...well you know the rest. Lets just set our minds and hearts on it and we'll do it.

This is more than just a space ship model from the 60s. It launched more pilots, astronomers, astronauts and imagined and brought into reality our future today. Every from the cell phone you talk on to the PCs we now talk to and more Star Trek inspired.

What was done to her would be like restoring the Queen Mary to a different color. She looks like a Star Wars model. She needs to look as she did again. Plus I can't stand those nacelle trench grills. Those aren't original either. You can by that stuff at home depot.

Steve

Wow! This sounds like a thread to follow! I think the people involved would be perfect to restore the ol' girl to her original glory! I'm looking forward to reading about it every step of the way!

I hate to admit it, but I can't really see what MAX is illustrating by the pictures alone. I can see the damage on the "linear accelerator" (I think that is what it is called). I just can't make out what changed when it was placed back on the model. Max, can you please point out what might be obvious to everyone else? Unless it's the very tip which appears to be flat in the before restoration and rounded afterwards.

Thanks,

Yes, I think Max is referring to the tip which has been changed from flat to round for no apparent reason other than EM's insanity.

To my eyes it's been rounded, slightly shortened and overall the raised lines (whatever they're meant to be) don't seem to be as defined. Loss of definition through too thick a base-coat? Dunno.

This is more than just a space ship model from the 60s. It launched more pilots, astronomers, astronauts and imagined and brought into reality our future today. Every from the cell phone you talk on to the PCs we now talk to and more Star Trek inspired.

Steve

Well said Steve and I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup

Lots of good intentions here, but when you are competing with original one of a kind aircraft waiting to be restored you are not going to get funding for a model that has been restored once already no matter how much it tugs at your heart. So, what do you figure it would cost?

BrianM

Lots of good intentions here, but when you are competing with original one of a kind aircraft waiting to be restored you are not going to get funding for a model that has been restored once already no matter how much it tugs at your heart. So, what do you figure it would cost?

BrianM

So if a privately organized group raised funding from those whose hearts are tugged would the powers-that-be at the Smithsonian refuse the offer? I suppose it is possible that they would... as crazy behind the scenes politics and egos are frequently factors in these kinds of matters. Hope not but wouldn't be surprised.

Marcus

Wow - this project has my full support (limited as it may be). It pains me to see the sad state of the Enterprise. Has anyone contacted Gene Roddenberry's son? It's just a thought, but maybe just maybe he may be interested and possibly able to throw some weight into getting this project off the ground.

Well, when we ready, we'll have not only our own financing, but a VERY public restoration campaign for what is the Smithsonian's MOST POPULAR ARTIFACT, in their MOST POPULAR Museum.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back