Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build - Progress pic added

MattMunson

Master Member
UPDATE:
Here's a link to the youtube playlist that has all of these videos included. Thank you pandamajik for pointing this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheReplicaPropForum#g/c/BFD243BDF2E75BAA

Art and I had a long conversation last night about the types of videos that are being done for the RPF, and we hatched a plan to introduce a new genre. It's a micro video that walks through the build up of a prop, one episode at a time.

To celebrate the release of the new game, Arkham City, I've decided to tackle a prop I've been a fan of for years, since it's reveal in Arkham Asylum.

I'm not going to post any progress pics in this thread, but will instead point you to progress VIDEOS. The idea is that these will be short little videos that show you what I'm doing from day to day in the build process.

I just uploaded the first part. Take a look, and let me know what you think.

Batman Arkham City / Arkham Asylum Grapple Gun Prop Build - YouTube

Last edited:
Re: Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build

Pretty cool idea.

Any idea what materials you're gonna be using to make it?

The main body will be MDF. I'll use styrene for the details, and also a wooden dowel rod for the main barrel.

I was thinking of just getting all the parts laser cut, but that would kind of make it a short and uninteresting build :)

I'm working on the side disks a bunch today. I should have another video up tonight.

Hey Matt, just out of curiosity, if you have the 3D rendering of the prop, why not send it to 3Dart2part.com and have them print you one?

What would be the fun in that?!

I think the point of it is to share ingenuity and skills and maybe give folks ideas they might not have thought of before.

Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Also, Matt is there any stress being put on that bondo? You think that quick mod will hold up?

Hey Matt, just out of curiosity, if you have the 3D rendering of the prop, why not send it to 3Dart2part.com and have them print you one?

What would be the fun in that?!

What Dann said :)

I actually put a lot of thought into questions like that one. There are a million ways to skin a cat. For example, I could have just drawn up the parts and gotten them laser cut. Or I could head over to my friends house and use his lathe. Or I could 3D print them. There's a ton of different ways I could have gone with this project, and each part of it.

While I don't really have a defined work ethos for this build, I would say in general, my goal is to do it all in my garage, with tools I have on hand. Just watching the videos myself, I realize how much I've learned just in the past 2 days. I've really wrestled with getting that dremel router to do my bidding, and along the way have had to solve a ton of problems, and build tools of my own to support my vision. I guess for me, that's where the fun is. Doing a 3d print out might get me the prop, but I personally take great joy in the build process, and the fun of learning new skills.

With THAT said, there's a new episode out!!! :lol

4 - Batman Arkham City / Arkham Asylum Grapple Gun Prop Build - YouTube

Also, Matt is there any stress being put on that bondo? You think that quick mod will hold up?

Not a ton of stress, and with the method I use later on (you'll see it in an upcoming video) there's none at all. I certainly don't see that as a long term solution, but it worked for the moment, and thats what counts :)

Matt, I'm really enjoying your videos and you're a natural at presenting. :)

However: I don't mean to be a killjoy but if that's MDF, please wear a dust mask!

Matt, I'm really enjoying your videos and you're a natural at presenting. :)

However: I don't mean to be a killjoy but if that's MDF, please wear a dust mask!

I'm not supporting not wearing a mask, as it took me 5 years to finally get one, but I used/sculpted MDF HEAVILY for almost a year straight without a mask. I'm still kicking and playing the tuba as good as ever

I'm not supporting not wearing a mask, as it took me 5 years to finally get one, but I used/sculpted MDF HEAVILY for almost a year straight without a mask. I'm still kicking and playing the tuba as good as ever
x

Right up there with "My grandma smoked two packs a day, and died at 108 of a car crash!!!!" :lol

I will indeed make it a point to wear my respirator next time. I should be setting a good example :) Hey, at least I'm consistent with the eye protection.

I sort of went out of control, and made ANOTHER video. I'm uploading it now. I guess I got a lot done today. I'm just pretty excited about this project, and keep thinking of little things I can do to improve upon what I've already done. Good stuff.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back