Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build - Progress pic added

What kind of plastic? What are you needing to seal on plastics parts. If you mean for joints, seams, scratches etc. Bondo glazing putty works great.

Or is this a porous type plastic?

Im not too sure to be honest. It's motocross plastic protective wear. We have been trying to seal it because the stuff doesn't hold paint at all. We took it to an auto body shop and they told us this type of plastic is similar to human skin, in that, it's releasing "stuff" which prevents it from holding paint

Im not too sure to be honest. It's motocross plastic protective wear. We have been trying to seal it because the stuff doesn't hold paint at all. We took it to an auto body shop and they told us this type of plastic is similar to human skin, in that, it's releasing "stuff" which prevents it from holding paint

Hmmmn. Never ran into that before. Couldn't hurt to try the Modpodge. Kinda ran into something like this when trying to do trashcan BF armor years ago. Couldn't get glue, or Bondo to stick for nothing!

Agreed, Michaels Sucks.

ModPodge turned out not to satisfy my needs for this project. I put a coat of it on the MDF, and when I went to sand it, it clumped up and pulled off in patches. As stated earlier in the thread, it behaves an awful lot like thin elmers glue.

I think as with MOST things you buy at michaels, it's aimed more at the VERY casual hobbyist/crafter person. It's hard to find "professional" level supplies at that place, which may be why I avoid it so much.

Very happy to see some discussion being spawned from the videos! that is great!!! :)

Today I put in a few more hours on the grapple, and will have some good stuff to show for it. The basic shape of the handle is now finished. I just need to wait for the glue to dry, then I can start the long process of shaping it into what I want it to be.

I found the same 3D pics you have but not the file iteslf. I've started building one now. I dig the design. Lookig forward to seeing more of your progress.

EXACTLY what you said about Michaels. I wish there were a chain store that had the PRO stuff that we need!

BMS, send you a PM with some info. Looking forward to seeing your build.

I got A LOT of progress done on the hand grip last night. I'm behind on episodes again, but I'll see if I can get one or two out tonight. As of right now, I've got the main shapes done for the entire gun. Just need to clean them up, finalize them, and I'll be very close.

So 90% done, 90% left to do. :lol

I was looking at the grip. It reminds me of a Taurus pistol grip. It would be cool to put that on...not entirely accurate...close...but cool looking.

Matt
Great post love it. Can't waitto see it done.
Tubachris89x your problem might be polypropolene(I might have misspelled that) it is the same stuff tupperware is made from. It is hard to get anything to stick to it. That why they they shells won't stick. I have hear the Krylon Fusion may paint work. But I have not try it. Hope that helps. Soryy to highjack the thread.
Mark

I think he means, make the grapple and offer them in a run maybe? :confused

Yes, I was joking, hence the emoticon after my post. Ross has been hassling me about this for weeks. lol. Perhaps ironically, it was his recent thread about the recasting of his GB pack that COMPLETELY convinced me not to offer this for sale. I don't want this thread to turn into a recasting discussion, but I have seen time and time again, even with the best inentions, pretty much every piece that is in demand ultimately gets recast.

So I have to ask myself, do I want to offer them for sale with the full knowledge that within a few months, this gun will be offered by people like wilco, frontier, and all the other recasters of this hobby. And my answer is no.

I watched all the turtorials up to this point. Very informative, and I'm glad that I'm not the ony person who has issues on projects. Makes me feel like I'm not that much of a noob. I think the huge part of sucess is the imagination and enginuity of how you use what you have to your advantage to meet the means.
I will have to say that I wholeheartedly agree that Michaels as well as AC Moore suck. I work mostly with leather nowadays, and in just the past couple of years that section for material has dwindled down from an end cap to half an endcap. I find better hardware at JoAnnes fabrics. But I digress. The modified wood lathe seems to work pretty well. I'm interested to see the rest of the trip on how you get that gun together. :)

I appreciate the support, sir :)

In other news, I'm working on putting together a couple of new videos now. I just did one pass at the handle, and it's very close to being done. Just tiny clean ups and details to be ironed out now. I think I will post a pic or two, just so you can see where i am now. Odds are, the videos will be a couple of days behind my progress, and nobody wants that.

I don't necessarily need the openers. Voice overs and pic in pic is nice, but I'm sure that is more time intensive for you. You are welcoming us into your shop so ultimately I think however you want to do it is what should work. But I DO really like the voiceovers and PiP :)

BTW I have the same Chopper II. What a great tool.

Also liked the timelapse near the end when hammering and watching all your tools on the bench jump in toward you. lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back