Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build - Progress pic added

Re: Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build

I love the approach to the build. With limited tools myself I appreciate learning more methods to build my prop colection and yes its funner to build something than just get it printed out. Thanks for sharing!

This is a really cool idea. I'm enjoying these videos a lot.

I have to ask, how is that Dremel Router? Any good? I've been toying with the idea of picking one up, along with the Dremel drill press. I have very limited space and tools. I've got the Dremel 4000 6/50, I originally got it to make this:
Mini-Tablesaw / Router / Shaper for Dremel rotary tool

Anywho, just figured I'd ask your opinion of it first.

Gotta love that all of your tools are on the garage floor. It made me laugh when you were sanding the circle, sitting on the floor, with your legs on either side of the sander. The other thing I get mostly when watching these videos is showing people that you can do things with limited tools. I like that, a lot. As someone who doesn't have the money or space to have the biggest tools, it's nice to see that you can still do things with what you have.

Can't wait to see more of this :)

The dremel router is pretty much useless. Theres all kinds of wobble, its not very precise, and for a bit more money, you can get an actual router. Power is pretty low too. I would not recommend it.

This is a great idea!!! I can't believe how many videos you've done already, Matt!!

Keep up the great work, I'll be watching the progress :)

-Chris

Matt, love this video building series. Since you have the mini drill press you might want to check the local hardware store for a circle fly cutter or for anyone hesitant to modify the dremel circle jig. Usually around $15-20 and infinitely adjustable between 1 to 6 inches. And would keep fingers away from the Dremel more. Might make for cutting thinner plastic circles easier using a mdf backer with double sided tape too.

images

Cheech, that is a great looking tool! I am going to get one. Thanks for the tip!

The poor mans lathe is genius Matt. I'll have to remember that one since I have a drill press too.

BTW, just so I'm clear about this, I wasn't knocking the hand making of it. Believe me, I get it, I love doing things by hand myself, I was just curious to see your response.

Nice work. If you decide to cast any of these up, I'd be in for one ;)

Oh, what's your technique for sealing the pours on the MDF?

No worries blue, i didnt read anything hostile into the question at all. Also, interestingly enough, the FIRST thing i did was look into getting the obj file printed. Just seemed less fun, with unpredictable results. However, there are other props from the game that i may do next and might go that route.

As for sealing up the mdf, right now im just using multiple coats of primer. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Yeah, primer is good. Sometimes I spread a thin coat of spot glazing putty on and sand it. That does a good job of covering most of the pourus area, then hit it with primer.
Bondo_Glazing_and_Spot_Putty.jpg

Matt,

Loving the videos and the creativity. Thanks for sharing.

As to sealing the MDF, Exoray suggested using good old shellac. Couple of coats. Then sand and paint. Cheap but very effective. Just another idea.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Here's where we stand as of right now. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Still a lot to do, but I think I'm on the right track. I'm NOT a fan of MDF, by the way. I think next time, I will stick to laser cutting styrene parts and going from there. I am seriously considering doing the grapple gun build again once I finish, but doing it using other techniques.

grapple_progress.jpg

I just found this thread and I think it is a great ideal. Oh my goodest that seem like a lot of work. Great job Matt. I too think you are a natural on camera. I am liking this thread and the Mattymobile thread.
Mark

Best way to seal mdf is mod podge.... From any craft store... Its cheap, dries fast and can be put on in thin coats...... Almost like a thinned out elmers glue... Dries clear etc etc..... Whenever i've made my proton packs using mdf, i seal with mod podge and then primer goes on perfect and even.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back