Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

Re: Cyberman - at last!! IN FOAM!!!

I am still curious how you get the clean cuts. Are you just using an xacto, or one of those electrical heated soldering attachment

Hey Risu, no heating attachment, no hot wire, those actually have a tendency to melt your edge at bit if your not careful. I use single edge razor blades and for the tight corners I use an xacto blade. It's just a steady hand and practice. I know this foam I'm using is more stiff and harder then even L-300 and it dulls my blades VERY fast, but it does cut very clean also. The foam is Harbor Freight floor mats, got them on sale and cleaned out the place!

Wondersquid,

PLEASE tell me when this is all said and done you'll post the patterns on the board, or at least sell us copies to make our own. This would be an epic project, and help to get more armies of Cybermen out there! :lol

Foam builds are just getting so cool!
Don't know the character, but I do know this is a damn fine job! Well done!
Keep it going!

Wondersquid,

PLEASE tell me when this is all said and done you'll post the patterns on the board, or at least sell us copies to make our own. This would be an epic project, and help to get more armies of Cybermen out there! :lol

Part of me wants to be creative and make my templates myself, but another part of me just really wants mine to look this good. I'd be interested in seeing the templates as well.

I was actually thinking of putting together a DIY book to sell, but I need to modify the patterns, or at least make instructions. The main problem is that some of the cutting I do would require a tutorial all on it's own, just in the upper arms and lower legs I used sections where I start with a 45 degree bevel, then become a 90 degree cut, then finish back with the 45 degree bevel. I also modify the foam as I build it to make it fit places where the pattern fell short. If the demand is there I will make the patterns available, but giving them away for free, I may have to think on that.

Man what a couple of crazy days! Sorry for not updating, I got a call to sell my batman suit and I had to repair and repaint. But in the meantime I finished the patterns, (I think the neck and hands are left), and I started to cover the foam!
2011-10-23230744.jpg

The Thighs without the detail layers,
2011-10-23230500.jpg

The shoes, at least the tops, I have to find some water shoes to glue inside and then put the soles on and seal the feet up.
2011-10-23230515.jpg

The cod piece and butt, I need to create bridge pieces because my waist is a bit wider then the actual pieces.
2011-10-23230620.jpg

I should be done in a couple of days, but the under suit with the wires and tubes, that I probably won't get to in time for Halloween. But there's always Gallifrey!

Again great progress,just have to comment beautiful curved sections!
Do you use a form and a heat gun to make the rounded sections?

This is absolutely amazing, I can't believe it's made out of foam. I am really envious of your talent. Would also love a 'how to guide'.
Can I ask what you are covering the foam in?
Keep up the good work.

I'm curious as well. I would assume rub n buff for the silver, right? But how do you seal the pieces? Just mod podge?

That is so freakin' awesome !! :cool
...and quite a bit lighter than aluminium, eh?

I clearly need a band saw...razor's just aren't..."cutting" it for me :p

nice work

Thighs at last! Only need the poles and mounts and some minor pieces at the knee area.
2011-10-24233159.jpg

And a test of the paint...
2011-10-24204457.jpg

I personally think it looks terrible!:cry But I think it is a matter of the plasti-dip not coating properly, there is a pebble texture that I may have to resort to brushing the coating on just so it seals and then maybe a spray coat to smooth out. Man I don't have time...:cry

At any rate, what do you all think?

The foam work still looks great, but I agree with you on the paint. I'd seriously recommend rub n buff.

Again great progress,just have to comment beautiful curved sections!
Do you use a form and a heat gun to make the rounded sections?

Chimmera30 - I actually just use the geometry of the pattern to create the curves, I have used bevel cutting as well to make the shapes. No heat guns needed.

...and quite a bit lighter than aluminium, eh?

Amg - You better believe it!

I clearly need a band saw...razor's just aren't..."cutting" it for me :p

Darcaz - Actually the razors are what's "cutting it", I only use the bandsaw for the rare "fun" cuts that the blades can't do cleanly. But I gotta tell ya, these Harbor Freight mats are more like L-300, and harder to cut, so it took nearly 100 blades to make this suit alone!

WOW!... this is just jaw dropping :eek... we'll be making our ironman suit from foam soon and you are now my No.1 inspiration...

very clean, very sharp, very detailed, and very awesome work!

how many years again you've been working with power ranger monsters? :confused... i got to start now to be able to get your level of skills probably after 100 years for me...:cry.

thanks for sharing your work :):thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back