Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

You can use craft foam or yoga mats. But most of us use EVA foam in the form of anti fatigue mats. I got mine in six foot rolls at harbor freight. The 1/4 inch thickness is what I used, but they have 1/2 there or at Home Depot.

VPier, that is awesome! I'm building one of those next. That level of detail ref photos is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!

Those are beautiful VPier! Thanks for posting. I spoke at length with Neill Gorton of millennium FX who made the suits, and yes, they are made of rubber, they are almost like Iron Man from Legacy, people don't realize how much is actually rubber with a specialty automotive coating to make it look like chrome. I didn't want to believe it either, until I saw one up close.

Yeah, I had to touch it to find out if it was solid casted stuff or if it was foam which many cosplayers swear by. Only the helmet was solid, the rest of the suit was totally foam rubber.

I'm glad you like the photos, I figured that might help a few people around here in regards to little missed details, I tried to take as many as I could think of, sorry if I missed anything. I've had these photos tucked away for a while, and this topic was a good place if anything to share any details you folks might have not had before.

Where did you get the suit to wear under the costume?

Amazon has spandex/lycra body suits for about $25-35. I got a black ones. the wires are window insulation foam tubes in various sizes 1/4"-1/2". Glued on with hot glue and then sprayed with plastidip.

Besides Harbor Freight, where else is a good place to get the 3/8 in floor mats? I looked at Harbor Freight and they only have 1/2 in thickness.

Are u selling the blue prints and how much?

Check the first post of this thread, there is a link to download the patterns for a donation. Make sure you include a valid email in the donation request, that is where the pattern link will be sent. Also check your spam folder if you don't see the pattern link immediately.

Foto0076.jpg

Made from your pattern, wondersquid! Thank you so much, I made a lot of Whovians happy here in germany :D

UPDATE!! - First post has been updated with a link to HANDLES! For all of you that wanted to make your "Handles" head, I've posted the patterns. I will be offering the Pipes as soon as I can get the molds done. Please donate for the patterns and help me fund future pattern projects. I will post the rest of the suit as soon as I can fix the FAT problems with my sizing. :) Thanks again for your patience. As always, please post photos of your builds, we all love to see your work.

DragonSew - Great work!! Thank you for sharing.

UPDATE!! - First post has been updated with a link to HANDLES! For all of you that wanted to make your "Handles" head, I've posted the patterns. I will be offering the Pipes as soon as I can get the molds done. Please donate for the patterns and help me fund future pattern projects. I will post the rest of the suit as soon as I can fix the FAT problems with my sizing. :) Thanks again for your patience. As always, please post photos of your builds, we all love to see your work.

DragonSew - Great work!! Thank you for sharing.
Awesome!!! Handles is one of my favourite props, and these patterns will be extremely helpful for my build. Well done on providing such a fantastic resource for the forum! :D
Would it matter if I assembled the templates out of cardboard instead of foam?

Last edited:
Shouldn't, but they do require compound curves, so you may have to dart the patterns more in areas. Show me what you do, I'd love to see how it works, or doesn't in cardboard.

Maybe? The stuff I know it as is the garage floor mats or yoga mats. They have a puzzle locking edge so you can link them together to form a large single sheet.

Thank you for having your plans!! I bought and printed them for my 6 year old daughter at 63% (enough to fit the letter size sheet). The head parts were pritted at 75% on legal size paper but the center head ridge was too narrow for her so I printed that at 80% and stretched the face out to attach to it :D.

The whole thing was made from cardboard!! So those who are looking to build it out of cardboard instead of foam, it is doable. It was a lot of work though because for all the curves, I scored the inside paper layer of the cardboard (where the corrugated part is not attached to the outside facing paper) so it was bendable. Sometimes, I had to score the paper at an angle offset from the lines of the corrugated cardboard so it would bend a bit more. I also made the handles wrapping kraft paper onto dowels.

My 3 year old wanted to have one too so I scaled the head to 63% for her. She also wanted to be a princess, so I didn't bother to make the body suit haha.

Thank you again for creating these awesome plans!!
small_cyberman.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back