Mpc/ertl millennium falcon build

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys.

Well I am finally going to start this project!

My goal(without going totally insane), Is to get the MPC Kit to look like my favorite version of the Falcon from Star Wars 1977(ANH).

After building 2 Fine Molds Falcons, I find I still want that Model of the 5' Falcon.

So to ask some of the experts out there...

1)How high in inches should the sidewalls be?(If I can get a set from Falcon Kits, I may go that route, If I can get in touch with Jack Smith!!??).
2)I know the Cockpit, Cockpit Tube and Docking areas are all under sized,Again, what Diameter should they be??
3)I know the model as is is too flat......

There will be more questions to be sure, But I want to start with the Cockpit and Sidewalls for now..

Hi Beatlepaul I'm not an expert but using that famous 5-footer topview where the Mazda Wankel is visible the cockpit diameter measures 6 inches. And using a photo of the Wankel sideview the mandibles are 2 inches thick. The mandibles go inside the hull and are as thick as the sidewalls but the sidewalls look even more narrow because of the overhangs. Ozzy has a cool spreadsheet and you might want to Google John Martin's falcon build he has all the measurements there too including plans of the cockpit tube.

BP, Nice to see you taking a crack at it. PM me and I will send you the spread sheet. John Martin helped me out with some of the sizing so I am confidant the measurmnets to correct the AMT to 5' scale is very close. I have some side wall templates for 5' etc as well I think.

Glad to help out were I can, look forward to your build.

Ozzy

BP, Nice to see you taking a crack at it. PM me and I will send you the spread sheet. John Martin helped me out with some of the sizing so I am confidant the measurmnets to correct the AMT to 5' scale is very close. I have some side wall templates for 5' etc as well I think.

Glad to help out were I can, look forward to your build.

Ozzy

Hey Ozzy!!!
Good to hear from you my friend!! Yes I will indeed send you a PM for that Info!
Hopefully My Falcon will look almost as good as what your doing!!:thumbsup

I remember when this kit first came out... it was huge... even had lights! And what really gets me is that when it was released after ESB, they took out all the electronics but left the slot in the back where the switch would go, and the lid for the battery compartment is still there as well. It remained in the issued kits from that point on. I don't think they ever fixed it either. Would love to find an original falcon kit with the lights! Does anyone else remember this version of the old MPC Falcon model?

Last edited:
I had the kit, I got it in 1978 from 'Leisure World' in Belfast (now a car park), it was huge...we went to 'Delany's' for lunch and the box took up most of the booth.

To light the engine, you had to cut out a long strip of paper from the instructions (I think) to opaque the clear strip.

mpc-millennium-falcon-falconmpc.jpg-33349d1283955950

LrdSatyr8, here's my kit, with a couple of your friends:
scan00153.jpg

J

Oh yeah... that's it. Just found it on eBay still sealed mint in box with lights. I remember there was this big switch which was actually a peice of place with two rivets on it that protruded from the back on the right side of the engines in the geeble area. When they re-released this kit, since then that slot where the switch was remained in every single kit but no lights! here's that eBay auction... can't believe someone still has it mint in box!

1979 Vintage Star Wars Millennium Falcon Model Mint in Box Illuminated | eBay

They want $147 for it! Damn... I remember mom buying it for like $15 when it first came out!

I still have my original kit, its seen some better days tough as the cokpit glass is a bit crakced up. Yes you did have to cut out paper as a filter for the lights. The lighting wasn't particulary great. I believe it took two D batteries. The battery slot was on the bottom. And that huge slot and mechanism to turn them on/off was pretty bad. Almost as bad as the figures. They didn't even bother sculpting a head for Han, just gave him a helmet with a faceplate of sorts

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back