Mythbusters is back!

Im with Mic on this one, sounds like an internet hoax. No way a home made cannonball would travel that distance much less over a hill, fly abut six times its original trajectory, off a driveway, through a front door, up the stairs, through the bedroom wall, over a wide street and over two houses before bouncing off a roof and being stopped by a mini van.
Was this the Juggernaut of cannonballs? Sounds like a Job for the Mythbusters.

Too bad we'll probably never see that canon episode on tv.

With multiple home owners who could sue, I bet Mythbusters, their lawyers and insurance wouldn't want to air footage that might show some fault or responsibility that could give those affected leverage for dammages.

I'll also bet Adam and the rest of the crew have been advised not to speak about it, at least not until the dust settles.

I'm pretty sure that the myth will still air, but with no footage at all of them at the Alameda firing range doing the calibration testing. They'll probably reshoot that part somewhere else.

Still, I'm really curious to know how exactly it happened. They are usually very careful. I feel like maybe the fuse was lit and then the canon lifted and they was little to nothing they could do to stop it. They really do take safety very seriously on that show.

I hope that once the adrenaline wears off, they'll decide to air the accident. I think it would be a valuable illustration of "Don't try this at home".

I'm amazed that people build houses that close to a bomb disposal range...

Well it's not a firing range. But still, shouldn't be close to a neighborhood or anywhere with kids.

I hope that once the adrenaline wears off, they'll decide to air the accident. I think it would be a valuable illustration of "Don't try this at home".

Agreed, it could be fine if presented right. At least air the myth.

I just don't believe this really happened. There's no way. They should try to prove this can really happen and that is isn't just a hoax, on Mythbusters ;)

This week on Mythbusters- "can you shoot a cannonball a mile and have it go in someones front door, up the stairs, and out the back?"

I just don't believe this really happened. There's no way. They should try to prove this can really happen and that is isn't just a hoax, on Mythbusters ;)

I have to say, this was my first thought too. I thought it was a sick hoax to get money out of the show or something.

But I guess the producers did thier homework, or they wouldnt have all been at the scene appologising.

It was a mistake, lets move on.

There is so much god awful reality programming on the discovery channel (American chopper??? arghhh...). We NEED this show!

Did they recover the canon ball? or was it smashed to pieces?

weequay

The story says the ball landed in the minivan. And on the "traveled upstairs" part, it seems it hit the pavement which deflected it upward. It tore right through the bedroom while the mother and baby were napping. It's a miracle it didn't take someone's head off.

It's not the first time they've had to deal with angry citizens. They blew windows out of a bunch of houses back when Kari was pregnant. They did alot of apologizing and probably alot of check writing.

Hopefully the fallout on the show itself is minimal.

I agree that they probably shouldn't air the incident itself, but I don't see the problem with airing the myth they were after. The crew was just testing the hardware, they weren't actually doing the "bust" itself.

I also don't see the point of a lawsuit. All of this will obviously be repaired at no expense to the homeowners, and they'll probably tack on some more as an apology. It's obvious this wasn't meant to happen. And if they're angry at not being informed that the experiments were happening, they need to talk to the local police/sheriff's office, not Discovery or M5, because the local authorities are notified of things like this.

I don't see it having much of an effect on the show as a whole aside from some relocation. I imagine anything potentially involving long-distance projectiles will be done at a place where there's no chance of injury or damage if the projectile completely misses the target. Something like the shooting range at Parris Island. Nothing behind the berm except five miles of swamp.. bullets just land in the grass.

I like how clean the hole looks in the wall...just like in a cartoon.
Maybe the should have used this cannon when they tried to blow a hole into several pirates (pigs)

I don't think warnings are the issue do you ? what are the cops supposed to do ? every time there's tests on the range personally contact every resident in the area and remind them to wear their cannon proof hats ?

I used to live near an area that quite frequently was used for filming. When they filmed setups that required gunfire or large explosions, the neighborhood always got notification. Usually a rep from the production accompanied by LE went door to door and did this.

After taking a another look at that map (assuming the scale is correct, it does seem amazing that they would build houses approx 1/2 a mile from a bomb range!

If I were the MB team, I would be staying well clear of using that facility again!

weequay

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back