Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been drooling over the movie Captain America shields being produced here, but don't have te funds to buy one. So, I'm setting out to build one for $100-150.

I started with a steel saucer sled found online. I trimmed the rolled edge and stripped the paint (sorry, I wasn't thinking of taking pictures for that part. Plus it was pretty messy)

I then devised a way to produce the spun effect to the shield. I found the dead center at the top of the shield and drilled a small hole. I then attached a thin metal, flexible bar to the hole, like the hand of a clock. I then put a heavy duty stripping pad around it and spun the bar around in circles. I did the back of the shield the same way.

For the star, I simple bought some sheet aluminum, drilled a tiny pin-hole in the center of the sheet and did the same spinning technique. I then cut the star out with a utility knife. I carved the lines in the star with a sharpened screwdriver. Some real rivets were added instead of the spun rivet of the real shield.

For the back I cut the >< braces out of 1/8 aluminum and formed them to the contour of the shield. I mounted some threaded adapters I found at the hardware store to the back as mounting points for the four belt braces. The belt braces were also cut form 1/8 aluminum.

For the strap rings at the outer edge of the shield I bend some steel into a clip which hooks over the notched edge of the >< braces. You'll see some paper strips in the photos that I am using to measure the amount of leather strapping I'll need.

So, I still have paint and leather work to do. But I think I'll come pretty close to my financial goal. .... stay tuned.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,690
Last edited:
Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

Nice. Do the handle rivets show on the front of the shield?

Looking forward to seeing how the paint job turns out.

Was wondering that myself...

Great job. I think you may have inspired a great future project for my son.

Nope they are not visible, the allen screw go into a threaded fitting I found at the hardware store. It is mounted to the back of the >< brackets and secured with JB Weld.

Last edited:

The only things I have had to give up on is the scored rings the original shield has. The metal saucer is far too thin to carve any effective grooves into it. Although, ounce the paintjob is done, I think I'll hardly miss them.

That is pretty amazing, what are you using for paint? anoxidized spray paint?

Hey quick question, Ive heard chris evans mention that there were different shields for different scenes, he mentions a HEATER SHIELD....what is that?

Wow, man. Fairly ingenious. LOVE that star!

If you offered the stuff you cut as kits so that people could hunt down the right sled and replicate your results...

very nicely done! The center bolt with the sanding pad is how i did the finish on my prototype :) What's the diameter on this one btw? Great job on the handles parts as well. :)

Some answers: First anyone could make this star. It was the part I was most intimidated by, but it was so simple. I traced a star onto the aluminum sheet. Scored it with a utility knife a few times and then wiggled the score till the metal snapped. No grinding, filing or anything.

Second, I plan on using Duplicolors Anodized paints.

Third, the diameter is just a smidge under 24"

Yeah, how thin is that star? You know you should use that center hole on the main shield to make a fixture to mill in some grooves :) If not sure how, let me know. Keep up the great work.

Hey quick question, Ive heard chris evans mention that there were different shields for different scenes, he mentions a HEATER SHIELD....what is that?

It's the original non-circular shield he used in the beginning.

Awesome shield btw, it's coming out rather nicely.

Very nice work, cant wait to see more! love the star and the strap brackets

Painting has begun. First of all, the Duplicaolor Anodized paint (available at auto parts stores) are really fantastic products! I've just laid the red down tonight and the way the metal spinning texture shows through is great. The Photos look a little blotchy, but that's just the bad lighting in my workroom. The color's nice a smooth.

Blue tomorrow!

That is looking fantastic!

I purchased those same paints; did you use the Adhesion Promoting Primer before hand, or did you just spray straight on the metal?

Also curious to see what you think of the JB Weld and how it holds out, was planning my brackets on back the same way.

Nope, no primer. I assume that would ruin the metal effect. You wouldn't see the metal grain through the paint. And, I think I'm going to go the route of industrial strength adhesive foam tape to hold the brackets to the back of the shield. I'm a bit worried about the shield flexing and popping the JB Weld off.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back