Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Wow it looks great, this is unbelievable! You did a great job. I was hoping I could ask one more question, what are the measurements of the painted rings? Again, great job and thanks for all you help.

The center (star) circle is 10" then each ring is 2-5/16". How did I arrive at that. First I started with the 10" center ring, then divided the remaining distance to the edge by 3. You gotta make sure the rings are equal or it looks wonky.

Thats what I was thinking, thanks again. UPS damaged my sled that was supposed to be delivered today, so I'm just getting together my materials until the replacement ships.

The pics were great. You are a big inspiration and a credit to this forum Valor. Way to show the spirit of the RPF! Im hoping to finish painting my shield by the end of the weekend, I have to strip off the inner red ring and repaint due to an issue with black painters tape leaving a residue and effing the paint job. Thank you again Valor for showing and sharing all your work.

I've had a ton of luck painting when using this tape.

9501213.JPG

Valor, I have two questions.

When you attached the star to your shield, do you have any problems with the star (being cut from a flat piece) conforming to the curve of the shield?

After cutting off the rolled edge of the saucer, is it very sharp? i.e., will it cut a toe off if it were to land on your foot?

This is a truly beautifull piece of work you made and I too add my thanks for being so open with the details of the build!

Valor, I have two questions.

When you attached the star to your shield, do you have any problems with the star (being cut from a flat piece) conforming to the curve of the shield?

After cutting off the rolled edge of the saucer, is it very sharp? i.e., will it cut a toe off if it were to land on your foot?

This is a truly beautifull piece of work you made and I too add my thanks for being so open with the details of the build!

All it took was to gently curve the 5 points of the star down ever so slightly. It fits like a glove. And, well, it is thin ... like 1/16" thick. Drop it on a bare toe and she'll leave a mark.

Last edited:
So my shields done, but today while making a couple stars to send to RPF members I figured out how to exactly mimic the spun circles at the star tips. I had been using real rivets but I thought I would share this. Attached is a close-up of the movie prop.

Awesome, thanks, the red came out perfect, I will tape it up tomorrow and finish the blue center...correctly this time. Ill have the star on by Tuesday and then hopefully by the end of the week, I should have the straps and brackets done. Thanks a bunch.

So my shields done, but today while making a couple stars to send to RPF members I figured out how to exactly mimic the spun circles at the star tips. I had been using real rivets but I thought I would share this. Attached is a close-up of the movie prop.

wow that looks perfect man.

Created a custom bit for my drill press out of a piece of aluminum rod that buffs the finish into the metal.

Very impressive Valor. Im going to keep mine plain. My star isnt perfect but its the imperfections that make it mine I suppose. The blue should be cured by tomorrow, its as smooth as glass and looks great. Little imperfect sections within the grooves where the paint didnt take or got peeled off from the taping. All in all, Im still very impressed with what Ive done so far. i hope to have my own thread with pics soon, but just wanted to say Thanks, especially to you Valor and TheCap, both of you have really been great as well as very patient with my questions.

Ok, Ordered a Sled, Figure, By the time I have time to work on it, skiing season will be over and we could get some good use from it, sliding down the local mountain ski resorts! I guess by then, it will probably be the Battle Damaged version Shield!:darnkids

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back