Trimaxion from Flight of the Navigator

Jeddie

Hi everyone

I've just started to think about replicating the robot pilot from Flight of the Navigator However, I haven't got the skills in Electronics or, really enough reference to do the project. I would be grateful for any Clips/Caps/Info/Help any-one can give me. :D :$

Here are some images I collected from Google for people who may also want to make him and/or to jog your memory and let you know what im talking about.

tri1.jpg
tri2.jpg

tri3.jpg
tri5.jpg

Thanks very much.
Jeddie

Finally-- a film I actually worked on.

The pilot (Max) was a steel armature covered with vacuformed Uvex panels. These clear panels were vacuum-plated, producing a mirrored surface on the back side of the part-- so if you touched it no damage would result. There were no found parts used, we made the patterns from scratch. In fact, the entire set was made the same way, though a lot of panels were plated to only 50%, so light could show through from the back side.

There were several versions of Max, for different functions. The eye was a very complicated (and very expensive.) fiber-optic system. There was also a miniature projection system used for moving images. All of the engineering was done by David Goldberg, who was assisted by Mike Stuart. I know someone will ask, so let me say I don't have any photos of Max, I worked on the set itself; and I don't know if I can track down any, but I'll make a few phone calls to see what pops up.

Scott

WOW - cool. thanks SO much. I'd love to see any pictures of max you can find.

Do you know if he was animatronic with a remote control - I've always assumed it but I was never sure. Or anything else about points of articulation / how he was moved.

Thanks again.
Jeddie

Finally I can say Thank you at someone who worked on one of my favourite movie when I was I child, so...
Thank you Scott. :D

And good luck Jeddie for your project ;)

I remember back in the 80s seeing a behind the scenes special on Flight of the Navigator. I wish I could find it again. They showed how Max was controlled and moved around the set. He hung from track that someone above controlled by pedaling a cart on the opposite side of the track. It was cool. Sadly that's all I remember :/ I'd like to build pieces from this film also. Love it.

Hi everyone

I've just started to think about replicating the robot pilot from Flight of the Navigator However, I haven't got the skills in Electronics or, really enough reference to do the project. I would be grateful for any Clips/Caps/Info/Help any-one can give me. :D :$

Here are some images I collected from Google for people who may also want to make him and/or to jog your memory and let you know what im talking about.

tri1.jpg
tri2.jpg

tri3.jpg
tri5.jpg

Thanks very much.
Jeddie
Have you made any progress on your Max build?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back