Anyone with glow paint spray experience?

JMChladek

Sr Member
As a bit of stress relief, I've been working on a Tholian Web edition 18" USS Enterprise kit from Round 2. I want to finish it as an interphase Defiant and keep the glow in the dark bit intact. But I didn't want to just slap the model together either as I made some slight accurizing alterations, such as a resin bridge dome, a shuttle bay observation dome made with Aves Apoxie Sculpt and two triangles on the bottom of the saucer (as well as some slight rescribing on the bottom).

I am pretty much ready to paint the thing, but the American Art Clay glow in the dark paint I bought just does NOT want to airbrush at all. You thin the stuff and it just likes to seperate the liquid carrier from the pigment/powder. I tried thinning it with both acrylic thinners and water (the recommended stuff)and get about the same results both times.

As such, looks like a spray or another brand will be my best options. Krylon makes a spray paint product called "Glowz" which I might try. But I don't want this stuff to glob out all thick on my parts like a couple other glow sprays I've seen. I also encountered another brand of paint that can be airbrushed, but it is more clear in coloring under normal light and I want that funky greenish color under normal lighting when it isn't glowing (to still imply it is an Interphase Defiant). The paint also glows a lot more intense than what I've normally seen, but I imagine it has to also be laid on thick to look like that as well.

Another option I could use is to overcoat a fully painted model with a clear UV glow spray. That way the model would look gray under normal lights until a UV light is turned on to reveal the glow. I seem to recall that Apogee back in the early 80s did that on their studio models so they could film their own matte passes more easily with them. But I don't know what this stuff would do to normal plastic.

So, any sage words of wisdom or advice on this stuff? Thanks.

This is actually relevant to one of my projects so i'll be watching intently. I need a nice sprayable glow in the dark paint for my Ghoul sculpture.

I went to stop at a hobby shop near where I was today but I forgot they were closing last year when I was there. That's the only hobby shop i know of in the area other than in ohio and it's nearly a 2 hour trip. i may see what walmart has since my project can have some funky splatters on it.

Well, I did pick up a can of Krylon Glowz today thanks to a Hobby Lobby coupon and tried it out on a test piece, both over raw plastic and over painted plastic. It is essentially a clear coat that glows, but to really get it to glow bright, one has to lay it on kind of thick it seems and the glow material (strontium aluminum powder I believe it is) begins to alter the shade slightly greenish). I may try ordering some paint I saw on line that is supposed to be some of the most intense glowing stuff out there (bright enough to take pictures of once it is charged) as it supposedly comes out kind of clear as well).

So as such, I may just end up painting the Defiant in normal colors and clearcoating it with this stuff. I tried the Glowz over freshly sprayed Tamiya Haze Gray and the solvents didn't damage it at all. So at least I know I could paint and clearcoat my model with Tamiya before putting a glow coat on it without any apparent problems (although I'll want to practice first before subjecting a fully painted model to the stuff).

But I am still looking for input from anyone else who has painted with glow stuff before. Thanks!

This may not help, but if it was me I would have used sprue from the kit to make the replacement parts. Cut several pieces of sprue and glue them together to make little blocks. Use liquid cement pretty heavily, and the pieces will melt and fuse together. Then cut and sand to shape.

But since you have to paint it, I like the idea of a normal gray scheme with a clear glow coat. That would look so cool when the UV lights come on.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back