TIE-Spotting. *First post updated*

ANH wing - THIN:
http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterkampf/misc/ANHWING.jpg

ESB wing - WAY thick (and wider, perhaps to adjust for the new thickness). Note how there's a black "frame" and that wingstars ride on TOP of this frame (which sits above the H-beam), and how inset the Kool Shade is:
http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterkampf/misc/ESBWING.jpg

Maybe the wing star's spoke's central T-bar component taper is the same between ANH ESB?

I'm not really sure the ESB wings are that much thicker. The black painted U-beam thats added seems to be the only thing that's really different. The run on both sides which adds the over all impression that the wing is thicker. The star sproket doesn't ride on top of the black beam, it's actually flush with the beam and stops at it's inside. Look carefully and you'll see it's all smoke and mirrors! The "overlap" is actually just painted which gives the apperance of the star sproket overlaping. Looks quite cheap but thats how they were made.

Cheers,

Steve

If you go to post #35 of Gene's thread you'll see a picture of a Tie from the rear with a pentagon on the lower left.

http://www.therpf.com/f10/tie-fighters-original-color-not-what-you-think-101082/

Dave

Wow! Awesome, well spotted! I totaly missed that when I read that thread. Realy hard to tell if it's the same or not. The markings on the back doesn't match the FM paint and decal sheet for the pentagon but then again they have the exact same back for both the pentagon and the wingman. I think it's safe to say that the FM crew only had ref material for the back on one of them and used it for both.

Cheers,

Steve

I went to the Disney in Florida this past August and didnt see any Star Wars stuff, it much be for the California one,
But i was looking ! LOL

I went to the Disney in Florida this past August and didnt see any Star Wars stuff . . . But i was looking ! LOL
Back in 2008 we saw this SS TIE at the end of the Backlot Studio Tour in Hollywood Studios, Disneyworld, FL. I hope that they didn't remove it. There was also a Darth Vader costume in a glass box and other things. Their sign doesn't use the word "replica" but they do attribute it to Planet Hollywood . . . is this an Icons as well? Is the sign inaccurate?

Probably the same one. The display I took pics of was not in the PH restaurant, but in a Disney-run shop (that's long gone) in the Marketplace that was branded Planet Hollywood but all the stuff was Disney owned. Most of it had been on display at Disney/MGM previously, such as the DS panels.

Yes! So thats were this one came from! I have bunch of crapy pics of that one which I always reffered to as the "odd ball fighter". Didn't quite know what to make of it hence the reason I didn't include it in the thread.

Cheers,

Steve

Ok, seems like it's round up time. Don't think we'll get much further without new ref material popin' up.

Anyway, thanks "tk-4702" awesome blue ray caps (hope he doesn't mind me borrowing a cap) I think it's pretty safe to say that only three TIE's still excists today. The Edlund ANH, now in a private collection, the "Hero ESB" and the "Frankenstein" Interceptor hull Tie. The last two stored in the LFL archives and also put on tour several times. Here's the blue ray cap which shows the two ESB fighters surviving ROTJ filming.

REMAINING_TIES.jpg

Also, note the front mounting rod on the Hero ESB! For me that's further prof that it was used for the damaged wing scene,

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
Re: TIE-Spotting - a question

STEVE (and members): The "Edlund" TIE was the one with the damaged right wing used for ANH (someone reported that Edlund had a spare intact wing in his office as well). Used in the scene where he hits Vader's ship in the trench.

Sorry if I missed this before, but what about the one damaged in ESB (hit by an asteroid - also auctioned off) - would that one be hero #4 which still survives (albeit it in private hands)? :confused

Yes, the Edlund TIE was used for the ANH damaged wing scene. For ESB a new damaged wing was built and I suspect that it was mounted on to the model refered here as "The ESB hero". I'm not aware of any ESB TIE's thats been auctioned off but if that's the case I would love to hear more about it!

Cheers,
Steve

Extreeemly useful! Yes, I saw those Jesse! Fantastic job - thank you very, very much! I especially liked the shots of George Lucas and Lorne Peterson at ILM in 1983, the shots of the shelving at the ILM warehouse, shots of the ships together with Joe Johnston and John Dykstra, and the shot of the Blue X-Wing. And the presentation at your site is very professional. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Just out of curiosity, were there any more shots of the X-Wing and Y-Wings at ILM when they were being worked on?
I have lot's of prop shots from the Star Wars BluRay Bonus Material posted here. Hope it's useful? Jesse

I don't have the dimensions in front of me right now, but I do have a Niesen TIE and my son has a Hasbro Toy and I can tell you the SS model is bigger by about 25%

I like the later Hasbro version with the larger wings, for what it is (a toy) and it's definitely better than when they were issued with the smaller wings (which were closer to the scale of the Darth Vader TIE Fighter Kit from MPC). But the Hasbro's proportions are still a bit off.

The "arms" are too small & short compared with the sphere, and (I hesitate to say this because Hasbro attempted to correct this) they actually made the wings a little too big this time around, and/or maybe too thin.

But at least they deleted that battery compartment that they used to have in the back (they used to have a wedge-shaped battery holder attached to the back of the sphere). Now the back looks closer to the original.

Yeah, I know...... I'm late to the dance again.

If you go to post #35 of Gene's thread you'll see a picture of a Tie from the rear with a pentagon on the lower left.

http://www.therpf.com/f10/tie-fighters-original-color-not-what-you-think-101082/

Dave

Holy crap - your right.

Here's a higher res, cropped version of it. I don't see any other markings, though, primarily because this was shot as a test and was relatively small in frame -
attachment.php

ANH TIEs had decals, yeah. On the ball and the hatch, and the wing struts...

http://www.therpf.com/f13/studio-scale-decals-110977/

I'll say. Well, at least one of these did. These photos come from a couple of different formats - 4x5, 35mm, etc. But they all seem to be of the same TIE. I got a couple of these to Jason to use as a reference for his decal set, but (as it always happens) found I had new ones that reveal new decals. (All of these are 1977 ANH vintage. I would absolutely bet Jason Eaton's life on that. :))

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think you'll find that the TIE fighter above is the same TIE as in the chronicles book (and the same one as in post #1 here) just with better detail since it's from a more original source. The "white" square on the one arm is, I think, a reflection of the decal film. And one of the TIEs, either the one from the book or mine here have been flopped. It's impossible to tell unless you can read the actual decal. And I can't, even on the hi-res versions.......

.....The "Edlund" TIE was the one with the damaged right wing used for ANH (someone reported that Edlund had a spare intact wing in his office as well). ........

Sorry, no. (I mean, I wish that were true........ :love) The box he had contained one hero wing, one damaged wing, the cockpit ball/arms, some detail parts - enough to put together one TIE. There was an extra hatch from the ANH era. That was used (repainted) to complete the Edlund TIE. The only left over part from the restoration was a (presumably) screen used top mount hatch that had (at some point) been re-plugged - I kept it as a souvenir. You can see it here:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-91735/index2.html#post1304457

Gene

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back