TIE-Spotting. *First post updated*

If ya look closely it met the product standards of 72-76. At the top under star wars it said copyright 1977 twentieth century fox. To my knowledge you can't put a copyright on something a year in advance. I could be wrong though.

I was beginning to wonder the same thing myself. The Studio Model was probably made in '76, but from what I recall the Toy Companies were caught completely unprepared for the popularity and demand that Star Wars sparked in the summer of 1977, and most toys weren't ready until 1978. But at least now we know for sure that the Red Pentagon TIE dates back to Episode IV - amazing!
If ya look closely it met the product standards of 72-76. At the top under star wars it said copyright 1977 twentieth century fox. To my knowledge you can't put a copyright on something a year in advance. I could be wrong though.
Of course, it's also possible that the red pentagon was an ILM "test" and may not have met with final approval and was deleted. It's such an obvious mark that you would think that it would be spotted elsewhere (?) Perhaps that picture of the Red Pentagon TIE only survived and was published because at that angle it can hardly be seen? (When I first saw that small picture years ago I dismissed as a printing error and never gave it much more thought - until now!)

One thing I've been wondering about with the TIE is whether or not there were clear distinctions between hero and pyro models. I mean, we have some pics and film of Viskocil (I think) packing primacord (I think) in the wingstar of one or more models. But how different were they from the hero models?

I'm assuming they just used the same resin castings for the cockpit, ball, hatches, arms and wing stars. What I wonder about is what they did for the pyro model wings. Did they get the full Koolshade treatment, or did they have "pyro wings" that were cast in solid resin? I can't remember seeing pics of any if they did.

And remember that ICONS had a production-sourced wing star, but no solid wings. Just the hub and spoke part. They had to figure out how to mold and cast their own solid wing version. And I believe that when you look at the wings of a Steve N. "stunt", you're not looking at something that came from ILM, obviously, but something that started out as a cast of that ICONS wing. I think.

So, do we have any evidence that there were ever solid wings for the ILM built original TIE-Fighters?

And if not, can we assume that the pyro models and the hero models were essentially all built the same way?

I've seen that footage of an ANH TIE explode in slow-mo (one of the making of videos, maybe?) and you can see the Kool Shade pop out... it was essentially a hero-like wing construction. I've also seen those ugly "stunt wing with donuts of explosive stuff" around the hub area... but mebbe the balls are all the same?

I still think the biggest problem is that people think the ANH wing stars are thicker at the hub, and taper thinner as they radiate outward - I don't think that was the case?

Yeah J, I'm looking at the pic you sent and comparing it to the ICONS wing stars and my photo reference. That's something we definitely need to figure out.

Yeah, those wings were really delicate in the first movie. Maybe they were too delicate, and that's why you have more framing from ESB on.

We need more pics of that Edlund TIE. That was pure ANH...

Jason, I've seen that video too. I always figured it was a hero wing construction with the koolshade being replaced by artboard or thick paper or something like that. Then again, koolshade was probably a lot less expensive back in those days. It would seem like a lot of work to make two koolshade wings just for a kaboom shot. I'm quite sure at least the stunt hulls are the same as the hero pulls. Isn't one of the stunt TIE's on display at a planet Hollywood restaurant!? I've been to the ones in NYC and Las Vegas and I remember at least one of them (think it was the one in Vegas) had a SS sized TIE in the roof. Sorry, no pics.:( I remember it looking rather rough. I think it chased some rather crapy looking X-wing.

IMO the wing stars are not thicker at the hub. The best ref I have are the edlund TIE and no where on those pics can I see anything that indicates that.

Cheers,

Steve

Incredible thread. I am starting a Fine Mold 1/48 build too, and this thread will certainly come in handy. Keep the TIE lovin' comin'! :p

I can vouch for the Planet Hollywood in NY - in the lobby they have two of each (X-Wings and TIEs) going around a replica ROTJ Deathstar approx. 4 feet in diameter. The fighter models are poorly painted and in bad condition, especially the X-Wings.

Both the TIEs and the X-Wings look like ICONS models to me . . .

There is also a TIE sans cockpit windows in Hollywood Studios in Disney World FL. I will try to find my pictures and post them if anyone is interested.

Isn't one of the stunt TIE's on display at a planet Hollywood restaurant!? I've been to the ones in NYC and Las Vegas and I remember at least one of them (think it was the one in Vegas) had a SS sized TIE in the roof. Sorry, no pics.:( I remember it looking rather rough. I think it chased some rather crapy looking X-wing.

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah, what you see in the Planet Hollywood's is all ICONS stuff, or derivatives. Recast from production-sourced stuff, for the most part, but definitely not original production material.

J, those photos are from the first prototype they showed in 2010. Wonder if they corrected the wing star thickness for the production version?

Yup absolutely 100% ICONS. You can tell by the replacement hatches and wing star mount cover plates, as well as the cockpit insert, all of which are horribly inaccurate.

The only thing that you can trace back to ILM are the wing stars and the naked cockpit ball and arms.

Well spotted Dave... I went through all the tie scenes frame by frame the other day. It's very hard to pick up a lot of the details on any tie in any scene except the trench run where they are more or less in formation . It could well have been used but is virtually impossible to I'd on screen.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back