TIE-Spotting. *First post updated*

Re: TIE-Spotting

I'll post some more pix from this soon in another thread. But just quickly. There's red five with the red four wings. Red two is on the stand in front of georges melon. And red three hero is in the acrylic case below red five. Behind red two just under Lornes face is an mpc red two on a stand and underneath that are two more mpc models.

IMG_7940.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_7992.jpg
[/IMG]

md_TIEparts.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Jedimaster, the one in the pic with Dennis is the same. It's the one from the tech journal.

Awesome job on the "pentagon" TIE! You rock! Can't believe you actually found it! I've been staring at that pic several times without seing it. The decal sheet in the 1:48 fine molds release features two options. First one is a perfect match for Vaders wingman (tech journal). Second is the pentagon TIE. I figured it was just some lame EU version and never concidered that an ANH fighter could have been made this way. The decals for the back are the same for both. The back markings actually matches perfect with the one on the "work bench" pic. I'm actually rather sure now that that's the back of either the wingman or the pentagon. Seems like fine molds had some killer ref at their hands, there decal sheet is actually rather spot on! Non of their versions has any decals for the hatches.

Once again, awesome find Jedimaster! Now I realy need to update the first post! Seems like I may have jumped the gun on ANH's being boring!

Cheers,
Steve

Re: TIE-Spotting

So I guess that we can conclude that it only appears as blank in the front on shots because it was switched to vaders right and the plain model to the left?

Also would kill to get some of those refs finemolds had. I'm wondering if that model with the pentagon was actually used for filming or just as a ref for the model kits. What I also find interesting is that they also used the pentagonal decal on the Cylon Raider.

Last edited:
I've updated the first post with the new stuff we have been finding. Jedimaster,Once again, awesome score with the pentagon fighter! Who's gonna be the first to paint up their SS TIE this way!?:)

Cheers,

Steve.

It won't be me I'm afraid. Gonna go with the wingman on mine. I will get around to the finemolds one day and I'll put it on that. Hey! Do I get to name my new discovery? If so I want to call it Paisley.... He he...

No disrespect guys, but there have been pics of the pentagon TIE floating around since 1976. It's well-known enough that the Fine Molds guys have included those markings in their decals since their 1/72 scale kit released nine years ago. Seems like AMT/ERTL included them in their kit well before that, though I could be wrong.

Anyway it's definitely an interesting model with unique markings, and well worth finding in the film, if it's in there.

Can't find it in the Amt kit . But you are right about the model. But there is serious lack of refs on this one. Would be cool to find more.

Hey guys, if I may add an FYI to your dicussion. Simon is correct about the smaller white ties being toys. They are in fact from the die-cast metal line that Kenner released.

No disrespect guys, but there have been pics of the pentagon TIE floating around since 1976. It's well-known enough that the Fine Molds guys have included those markings in their decals since their 1/72 scale kit released nine years ago. Seems like AMT/ERTL included them in their kit well before that, though I could be wrong.

Anyway it's definitely an interesting model with unique markings, and well worth finding in the film, if it's in there.

Strange, I know that the decals have been included in both FineMolds releases but I never seen it been mentioned here ever. I don't recal any pics being posted nor any discussion regarding it's rather unique markings. Memory could have failed though. Anyway, I'm thrilled that it's been added to the thread which purpose is to pin down as many different TIE models as possible! Keep em' coming!

Cheers,
Steve

Pentagons on ILM models

The Red Pentagon was a fantastic rediscovery, and it reminds me of the green pentagon seen on one of the "Red Six" X-Wings on the inside of one of the upper wings (see SS X-Wing threads).

I wonder if they were both the same size, and where those red and green decals came from . . .

Steve,

I don't know why, but the original TIE-Fighter just has never received much love around here from day one. I've lost count of the number of threads guys have started to enumerate each and every X-Wing or Y-Wing, but to my knowledge yours is the first attempt here to do the same for the original TIE.

It just so happens that your timing is really good too, for a number of reasons. So, thank you!

Steve,

I don't know why, but the original TIE-Fighter just has never received much love around here from day one. I've lost count of the number of threads guys have started to enumerate each and every X-Wing or Y-Wing, but to my knowledge yours is the first attempt here to do the same for the original TIE.

It just so happens that your timing is really good too, for a number of reasons. So, thank you!

Nope, not much love for the TIE's. Perhaps most thought they all looked the same!:)

Cheers,
Steve

And that's just one example of what I meant when I pointed out that pics of the pentagon TIE have been out there since 1976:

tie-spotting-first-post-updated-sw_diecast_tie_fighter_moc_c-8_21_back.jpg-69742d1317616051

Well, It certainly has "been around" since 76 cause that's when it was made!: lol I think the question is if anyone really has taken notice of it's unique markings. If it was a well known TIE design I think it would be fair to say that we would have seen this replicated in SS builds by now.

So far it seems like it's the same photo that keeps poping up, I wish more was availible.

Cheers,

Steve

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back