Nostromo Costumes

Yes, there does seem to be a lot of leeway regarding the screen belts. The belt you used seems to be the standard 1-1/8" cotton military issue-type (with the friction buckle) it seems to me. Am I correct? My other question is: how vital is the color of the belt itself? I have black (which is used in the film, I believe) but I also have a white one which I think would look better with the white pants and shirt. Another thought would be using a light blue, to match the color of the flight wings. What are your thoughts on this?

He who answers the five questions (three questions)...

-Tyler

Actually, no those aren't the belts I used. That had been my intention, but the buckles weren't large enough for the details (specifically the rank pins). These belts are just under 1.5" wide, they are cotton, but they were originally a camo that I dyed black. I got them at Target (I believe they were Rossimo (?). I know they were in the mens clothing department). I bought them because the buckle is 1 5/8"x2 3/8". It's still a friction lock buckle, so it matches the screen use. I am all for you doing what you think looks good with the costume, but me personally I would stay with a black belt. White belt with a white outfit doesn't look good to me (some Navy uniforms have that...eck). To me, the belt provides a contrast/seperation between the top and bottom of the outfit. I would want it to stand out more. The light blue to match the wings would make more sense than the white, but I don't think it would have the right level of contrast.

Charlie

Charlie...you are right about the white, now that I think about it. It is terribly 1960's-movie-navyish. I also found that the buckles on the military belts, like you said, are a little small. I think black is the way to go, especially if I choose Kane-type combat boots. Thanks for the input.

Charlie...you are right about the white, now that I think about it. It is terribly 1960's-movie-navyish. I also found that the buckles on the military belts, like you said, are a little small. I think black is the way to go, especially if I choose Kane-type combat boots. Thanks for the input.
SOMEwhere on the "Nostromo" Replica costume Big Thread, a very observant post mentioned that Dallas's belt, at least, was a specific-regiment garrison belt of the 1970s British Royal Army. Hope that helps you find the right screen-accurate belt (& the posting...). Good luck on your Nostromo projects!

Yes, there does seem to be a lot of leeway regarding the screen belts. The belt you used seems to be the standard 1-1/8" cotton military issue-type (with the friction buckle) it seems to me. Am I correct? My other question is: how vital is the color of the belt itself? I have black (which is used in the film, I believe) but I also have a white one which I think would look better with the white pants and shirt. Another thought would be using a light blue, to match the color of the flight wings. What are your thoughts on this?

He who answers the five questions (three questions)...

-Tyler
OH and Parker's belt seems to be a braided ethnic/ hippie belt, NOT at all like the belts Kane, Ash, Lambert or Dallas wore in ALIEN. I thought Lambert wore a belt...? Damn gotta watch the movie and "pause" again, LOL...:rolleyes

Last edited:
Kane's and Ash's belts are OD and Lambert doesn't wear one.
Brett's is probably OD as well, I'll have to look some more.
As mentioned Parker's is a woven multi color belt best see where he torches Ash's head.

Speaking of belts. i finally stopped looking at the alien in this shot and studied the belt.... I swear its an aircraft seat belt after reading somewhere along the way how the crew sourced tons of prop elements from the military base nearby. Anyone else have more info?

Jono

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back