My 89 BatMobile

Changed to small block chevy for this new project.

Attachments

• Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_029.jpg
    Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_029.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_029.jpg
    Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_029.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Some images....

Attachments

• Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_019.jpg
    Dave_s_89_Sep_2_5_2009_019.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 89_1_S.jpg
    89_1_S.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Decided to make my own chassis.....again...as a comparison here's my previous homebuilt chassis under my 89 shown above-
Started with a early Imapala chassis in xint condition then modified it heavily in 2008 ...no one had previously made a box frame out of a chevy frame, other examples were stretched using angle iron...cheap but workable I guess...a definite no no for my builds tho. I used 4 " box tube and a multitude of other heavy wall rectangular tubing,,,then prepped and painted it all metallic grey. Some fanatics said the engine had to be moved back for hood clearance etc...thats all bs. I have a huge 454 in the engine bay in its stock location and theres plenty of hood clearance-
89_1_Frame.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

89_Frame_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

89_frame_3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

89_frame_4.jpg

Then I built the inner ' tub ' - a mass of steel plate/tubing and crash protection rollbars etc....very tank like-and then welded it to the chassis
89_frame_5.jpg
Huge Mickey Thompson tires keep it afloat...
89_frame_6.jpg

Along with massive tires I needed massive hubcaps, other kit makers give you a fiberglass ' bowl'...uh uh...I used stainless bowls...way cooler..and stronger for the heavy one inch wheel bats to be attached to-
View attachment 435112

Last edited:
Thanks,
Rolled out my new lowbuck homebuilt 141" wheelbase 89 chassis, 2x4 tube main rails give me more interior room this time around , mustang 2 susp ,rack and pinion up front makes it easy to steer , 4 bar pro street out back, 4" off the ground at lowest ride height, next step firewall and steel floorpan install...
Chassis_89_1_014.jpg

Last edited:
Nice build.

So you're building a new frame for interior clearance, etc?

The Mustang II front end idea struck me as questionable off-the-cuff but after a minute of thinking about it, it makes good sense. I can't imagine the car needs very much front wheel travel, riding as low as it does. And the fiberglass body probably doesn't bring enough curb weight to press the M2's structural limits either. A 141-in wheelbase Chevy Impala sounds like a huge car but it's more dimensionally huge than massive weight.

I'm assuming the axle housing is only tacked to the frame in these pics for mockup purposes?

Do you have much trouble with the body's front overhang & low height clearance? That always struck me as such a potential PITA for the '89 Batmobile. Every time I see a streetable replica I get the impression it's sitting a little bit high in the front too.

It's not the front overhang that's a bother...only the rear, even air bagged and lifted it sometimes scrapes going up steep inclines..ie road and driveway.
Right on the axle tack...as I determine where the air bags will sit....after body is fitted. I don't expect overall weight of this 89' to be much more than 3000lbs with a small block ...haven't weighed the big block 89 but I would guess its pushing 4000lbs. Mustang 2 is narrow at front so may split and widen it or add wheel spacers,.Still much more steel to be welded to this frame.....
April_15_2015_078.jpg

Attachments

• Chassis_89_2_006.jpg
    Chassis_89_2_006.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Great thing about a perfect 89 Shell is you don't have spend untold months (and $$ ) fixing up the manufacturers screwups redoing body work and fiberglassing This kit is absolutely square...ie all the wheelwells are centered and where they should be., the wheel arches themselves are straight across , level and even. This shell just needs blocksanding for either satin or glossy black, All the features lines are there .Everything lines up down to the smallest details including the front chin spoilers. The tail light bezels are perfectly vertical...the rear deck lid louvers are curved as original...etc etc.
89_kit_1.jpg

Last edited:
The Right wheel rims make all the diff...and these are the right ones for this 89....cool thing is they already come black...never before used on any 89 they will no doubt set a new benchmark for wheel choice.
My_89_Rims.jpg

Of the multiple assorted go fast do nothing goodies on the side of the 89 is the grapplng hook 'pods' , these round objects to the rear of the side mechanic assembly ejected a grappling hook.Of course no one sells or makes these pod things accurately...so I gave it a go.1 per side.
April_15_2015_063.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back