Stormtrooper Oddities

nothing to do with stormtroopers.. well sort of
something always bother me is:
"What an incredible smell you've discovered! "
is the rubbish room right, so does it mean .. toilets garbage goes there as well?

when they are dressing with the uniform.. is on top of they normal clothes??

doesnt matter the point is.. luke got complete cover on that water ..
and so is Leia`s dress or worst.. what about Chewie?.. have you ever smelled a wet dog?

what a wonderfull smell they got after that.. right?

Last edited:
I've watched these movies a million times (it seems) and I've never paid attention to some of these goofs. Makes me want to go back and rewatch them all again :)

this thread is hella ong, there is so much variation in armor because sheperton studios used 2 different plactics for the vac pulls, the tan adn greeninsh colors came from the coy pond plastic lucas had access to since there wsa a coy pond production company next door. the then used white abs for the the clean tk since the td were the first he filmed. there were 53 helmet produced and 12 were hero style. the upclose versions were hero, but they switched back and forth, some of the td hand plates were painted cardboard. lucas did whatever he could to get it filmed. you can notice differences everywhere. they didnt have velcro theand elstic was tricky to use with out rivets showing to hold everythibng together, thats why the used gaffers tape and most of the armor was falling off during production. he had to shoot scenes several times over because of the armor.

this thread is hella ong, there is so much variation in armor because sheperton studios used 2 different plactics for the vac pulls, the tan adn greeninsh colors came from the coy pond plastic lucas had access to since there wsa a coy pond production company next door. the then used white abs for the the clean tk since the td were the first he filmed. there were 53 helmet produced and 12 were hero style. the upclose versions were hero, but they switched back and forth, some of the td hand plates were painted cardboard. lucas did whatever he could to get it filmed. you can notice differences everywhere. they didnt have velcro theand elstic was tricky to use with out rivets showing to hold everythibng together, thats why the used gaffers tape and most of the armor was falling off during production. he had to shoot scenes several times over because of the armor.

Actually the hdpe material was used because it was the only way to consistently de-mold the helmets without them splitting. They were only meant to be used as background helmets so it didn't matter if they were kind of cruddy.
Some ended up being used in close up shots but they were never intended for such.

New helmet molds were created for easier removal of parts which resulted in the hero style used for the close up troopers and tie helmets all made in abs. These were made last.

Also, there were only 6 heros made and no where near that many background helmets or suits. I forget the count exactly but I'm pretty sure it's in the upper 20's.
There are records showing billing for more but for whatever reason, they never appeared on set.

The sandtroopers were the first filmed. Their helmets were hdpe and their armor was abs just like all the other suits with the exception of the 6 hero helmets.

I have never seen cardboard handplates.

the cardboard handplates are referred to as cheese gratter plates. they only had 20 something helmets? wow i read that on site they had 53, maybe only 20ish finished helmets? :confused

New helmet molds were created for easier removal of parts which resulted in the hero style used for the close up troopers and tie helmets all made in abs. These were made last.

Hey Gino do you know what changes were made to the forms? I thought a the background and hero helmets were the same just assembled differently. Interesting! :)

Ive glanced over this every year or so and keep forgetting to bring this up about the "rubbery legs". Back in the 70's as a kid in grade school we used to have these mats to sit on outside that were glossy covered foam that came in the basic colors, white being one of them. It was thin and bendy. Not saying thats what the stunt guys are using here but it makes sense, its cheap, effective and quick.

What a great thread, just finishing off my TK at the moment, trying to get it inch perfect. I love how they are actually held together with tape! excellent.

nothing to do with stormtroopers.. well sort of
something always bother me is:
"What an incredible smell you've discovered! "
is the rubbish room right, so does it mean .. toilets garbage goes there as well?

when they are dressing with the uniform.. is on top of they normal clothes??

doesnt matter the point is.. luke got complete cover on that water ..
and so is Leia`s dress or worst.. what about Chewie?.. have you ever smelled a wet dog?

what a wonderfull smell they got after that.. right?

Never smelled a wet dog of that size! :lol

What a brilliant thread. So many things once seen can not be unseen.

Take a look where that stain on Leia's dress is when her and Luke swing across the chasm.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back