I have a nearly 200 year old beaver felt D'Orsay top hat that isn't a Haunted Mansion prop per say but it did inspire me to do my version of the Hatbox Ghost one Halloween.

20161028_194238.jpg

If any of you happen to have a lot of spare change lying around, there will be a Disney "memorabilia" auction coming up this weekend in Sherman Oaks, CA. And by "memorabilia" I don't mean just the usual chatzkies that you normall see for sale but actual props, signage, concept, from the parks themselves. Amongst the items up for auction are some Mansion related items, I believe that the stretching paintings are on the list of items.

https://www.thatsfromdisneyland.com/

Thanks. Did you take these at the exhibition? I tried taking photos of a bunch of framed posters there but the glare from the glass kept messing it up.

No, I'm in a Haunted Mansion fan group on Facebook and these were shared the other day. The versions of the stretching portraits that were up for auction are the newer versions.

Complete newbie to the forums and making in general, but I've recently been working on making a (future) home studio completely Haunted Mansion themed, while also incorporating some unused idea's from Rolly Crump's "Museum of the Weird" ideas (nothing that would be too out of place in the mansion setting). You guys have provided some valuable resources for accomplishing this, and for that I truly thank you.

I've been doing small things in the weathered copper look such as picture frames and small strange things I've collected over the years, nothing too amazing for sure.

The one thing I want to try and figure out is how to make the Spectrecom (only the plaque that is spoken into, not the entire setup) from line queue at WDW. The best reference of it I have is from the book by Jason Surrell on pg. 70. Does anybody have a higher res picture? Most of the videos in HD on Youtube don't capture this feature so reference materials are limited...

[edit]

I was able to find this picture:
Haunted Mansion Pictures2.jpg

But it's still a bit blurry...

All the best,

Zosi

(edited for clarity and new info)

Last edited:
hey everyone,
long time lurker, first time caller, etc etc

ive been looking for some wall sconces that resemble the ones in the mansion (not the gargoyles), and im having very little luck without coughing up 300+. I'd prefer electric (hard wired, though ill make do if i have to use the battery powered candles), and id also be happy to settle for less than 5 arms. I was wondering if any of yall have been able to find something, or at least point me to the right place. thank you!

hey everyone,
long time lurker, first time caller, etc etc

ive been looking for some wall sconces that resemble the ones in the mansion (not the gargoyles), and im having very little luck without coughing up 300+. I'd prefer electric (hard wired, though ill make do if i have to use the battery powered candles), and id also be happy to settle for less than 5 arms. I was wondering if any of yall have been able to find something, or at least point me to the right place. thank you!

Ebay is likely your best option or local flea markets. I have a handful of ebay alerts setup so I can keep and eye out.

I recently got to paint up a pair of popup ghost castings for a collector. These are some of my favorite sculpts on the ride, so it was a real treat. There's a photo of Blaine Gibson actually sculpting (or at least posing with) the witchy looking one, and it's really cool to be able to hold that piece in your hands.

Wow! They look fantastic!

I'd stumbled upon this thread a while back while generating inspiration for a project I was planning, and turns out one of the sources who was unknowingly a tremendous help in my build thus far is on the first page and I didn't even realize it until now.

I decided a couple months back that I wanted some of the Mansion in my home, but I want it in plain sight. So I, like lostcasket also decided to build a full size replica clock. A lot of the story is in my own post so I'll try to keep this one short, but for those who had missed it:

[Work in Progress] Disneyland Haunted Mansion Clock

I'm a big fan of watches, clocks, and horology, and I've always wanted a grandfather clock. So I figured that now that I've grown interested in making things, why not make my own? I think functional decor is just that much better when you made it yourself. My dad is a long-time carpenter by trade and does amazing things with wood, so with his help on the body of the clock, and my clock and computer work, I think we can end up with a real winner here. At least I hope so, it's going to live in my entryway.

So far it's going to stand 82" tall (based off of my parents' real grandfather clock) with a width of 13" (that number works well for this project!) will have a glow in the dark dial backlit with black lights and a computer speaker set hooked up to a Pi to play chimes every quarter hour and the intro to the mansion music (along with number-of-hours chimes) every full hour.

I should be adding to that post maybe tonight, my posting is a little ways behind my actual progress (for now, that will change with a quickness once I catch up) but I'll leave a little teaser pic in this thread that's a bit past where I'm at in my own:

5hands_purple_glow.jpg

Oh, and I'll be leaving my final measurements, files, sounds, designs, all that stuff in my thread as I go (and a summary at the end if I ever get there.) I'm also thinking of spinning off a smaller wall clock (maybe 6" dial? 4?") with a 3D printed 'face' once I'm done... Something like that... But that's getting ahead of myself.

I'd stumbled upon this thread a while back while generating inspiration for a project I was planning, and turns out one of the sources who was unknowingly a tremendous help in my build thus far is on the first page and I didn't even realize it until now.

So far it's going to stand 82" tall (based off of my parents' real grandfather clock) with a width of 13" (that number works well for this project!) will have a glow in the dark dial backlit with black lights and a computer speaker set hooked up to a Pi to play chimes every quarter hour and the intro to the mansion music (along with number-of-hours chimes) every full hour.

Great idea doing the Raspery Pi for the workings. Since there are 13 instead of 12 markings, you could even make the Pi chime once when it hits 1, twice when it hits 2, all the way up to chiming 13 times at 13 o'clock. Just divide 12 hours by 13 so each hour is slightly less than an hour. The clock will then strike 13 o'clock at Midnight !!! :devil:

(or is that what you did? )

Hmm, I do dig that idea, that's a really good one... The hands do actually move as they would on a 12hr clock though, just think of it as a markerless watch, so the chime would be totally out of sync with the minute hand if it chimed on the hour hand hitting the painted marks... The markers are just background on this one, despite looking like markers... BUT, I really do like the idea of a 13th chime, so I think I'll just make it chime 13 times on the 13, even if it chimes accurately for all other hours! It'll be a nice little easter egg, thanks for the idea!

Next up on that order is to isolate the bells from the mansion music to use as chimes... Which is proving tough as they are always being played over something else in the music. But I haven't had time to reeeeally dig into that search yet.

Now, I do WISH I could control the hands with a pi... but turns out controlling mechanical hands of a clock is not easy at all, especially since the system needs to know where each hand is pointing at all times in order to know if it's accurate (or set itself if it's not.) That'll be a great day once I solve that, but that's a project unto itself and I think I'll just do that as project #2 to upgrade project #1 once project #1 is 100% complete. ;)

It's kinda going: Planning and measuring, box frame, dial and clock movement, face details, sound, base. I'm really looking forward to the sound stage since I think that'll be a lot of fun as it adds a fun new dimension to the thing as a whole. Also it'll be the 'one step further' that we really don't need, but will make for a cool accent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back