Dredd 2012 Badge Build (aka Popping my 3D Print cherry)

pm me your email and i'll send them over, i'm in the same boat, i'm also doing helmet, badge and lawgiver, but x 3, comic, '95 and 2012. already got a '95 helmet and lawgiver in progress, just need a badge, have my plans all drawn up for the 2012 stuff, then the comic versions will come last, but currently having no job means very little is getting done at the moment.

If you get the comic stuff fired up, give me a shout too. That's my current LONG term project and Don't have a lead yet on a badge.

PM sent. Sucks on the job front. I do have one but it doesn't pay a lot so my monthly budget for materials is never enough. This month only just managed a batch of resin and brass powder before running out of funds. Is always very slow progress.

If my plan to win the lottery pans out (of course it's a sure thing, I mean I play almost every two or three weeks when I remember to buy a ticket so I'm bound to win eventually :p) first stop will be the junkyard. It's fascinating watching all the projects on this site coming together and seeing all the different techniques used but I can never afford to buy any of the finished builds. Will just have to console myself with admiring the pictures online for now

pics sent, luckily the sale of my stormtrooper armour helped to bag my '95 helmet and lawgiver but all i can do is prep and trim the raw resin models, can't even buy primer or filler at the mo :(

Strangely enough I have a Storm Trooper helmet kit waiting to be built (it's also collecting dust next to the half sculpted Dredd helmet) Knew I'd probably never be able to afford one ready made so kept bidding for kits on ebay and each month gradually buying all the extras as I could afford them. I finally have all the bits now just need a fibreglass kit, filler and enough spare time to clean it up and assemble it. MY first trooper lid :D can't wait til payday.

On the badge front my weekend appears to have emptied itself so gonna get a few more castings done and try and find the mould I took with my own name so I can really geek out over a Judge Cooper badge on the shelf. Obviously I need to shed my newbie status before posting anything but once I have a few badges cast and ready to go would there be enough interest in them to make it worth doing a dozen or so? If not I'll probably just do 3 or 4 and see if anyone wants one. More updates to follow soon (hopefully)

Small update though not much of one, got a couple more badges cast and weathered this weekend though didn't get round to any modelling for the nameplates yet. Think am slowly getting the hang of pouring with these moulds. Soooo many small details for air to get trapped.
15733-dredd-2012-badges.jpg

I love your badges. I'd love to have one (both a Dredd one and one with my name if you end up taking orders). I think the dimensions you chose might be about right (though, as you said, it's kind of a guess). The replica I got at SDCC is definitely a bit too small (but otherwise looks great).
I currently own the Planet Replicas complete uniform and I'll be putting up a thread on the new Anderson uniform too (about our trip to SDCC) but I'm feeling myself getting pulled into creating the new movie version too...
Will the madness never stop? Jeez, I'm already thinking about how hot a Dredd 3D costume would be to wear at Comic-Con...

They look wonderful! I don't know if you are doing this or not, but adding a bit of black tint into your casting resin along with your brass powder will give your badges a much more aged look.

Great work man!

Hi again. Thanks for the ace comments and tips, this site is such a massively useful source for information. Wouldn't have gotten these finished without seeing the techniques being demonstrated on here.

Not much of an update on the Dredd badges, although have got 7 cast ready to paint. These ones have come out way better now I've had a few trial runs with the moulds and figured out how to pour them there's practically no air bubbles getting caught now so these'll be the ones I'll offer up for sale :D

I could probably replicate the damage on the screen used badge, bit of quick work with the dremel should do the trick.

These ones have just been cast with brass powder but when funds allow will have to give it a go with the black tint. Cheers for the tip ;)

On a side note here's a few pics of some models I'll be sending to shapeways for printing on next payday as a sneak preview of what'll be coming next.

15891-lex.jpg

15892-anderson.jpg

15893-justice-dept.jpg

NICE! I've been wanting a Judge Dredd costume for the last several years. Had a couple "came damn close, but all went to hell" tries, so I'm highly interested in your Badge and Buckle!

Glad you like em. I still need to do a model for the buckle but it is deffo on the to-do list. I'm kind of toying with the idea of the Justice Department logo being a hollow clear cast resin with the recessed areas blacked out and a bright LED inside to make a nice glow resembling the hologram on the Hall of Justice as seen in the trailer.

Anywho back to the badges, I've just finished assembling, painting and weathering a batch of seven which are now in the junkyard for anyone interested.

Also had a go at trying to replicate the screen-used-damage as suggested by Max, you can see it on the centre badge on the bottom row. Am fairly happy with how it turned out so if anyone wanted to buy one with damage it's no hassle.

15943-dredd-badge-batch-1.jpg

I think I may have squeeled like a girl when I got home from work and saw a box from UPS on the sofa.

This has come out even better than I thought, dead chuffed! I think I my have discovered a new and expensive hobby, oops.

Here's some pics of the printed pieces, decided to get the DREDD nameplate and my own name on the other (seriously who wouldn't want a Judge badge with their name on, I had to do it), no adjustment required they slot together perfectly. Now just need to get going with the silicone :)

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Can I ask where you had it printed and what it ended up costing?

No probs, I used shapeways.com for the prints. In total for the badge and nameplate it worked out about $73 plus $12 shipping. They're extremely easy to use, just open an account then upload your 3d models and select which material you want to use and it tells you how much it'll cost. Think it took about 2 weeks total to arrive from the US to UK. Definitely would recommend them to anyone wanting to get printing done

No probs, I used shapeways.com for the prints. In total for the badge and nameplate it worked out about $73 plus $12 shipping. They're extremely easy to use, just open an account then upload your 3d models and select which material you want to use and it tells you how much it'll cost. Think it took about 2 weeks total to arrive from the US to UK. Definitely would recommend them to anyone wanting to get printing done

Dig it. I'm looking at their site know. Out of curiosity, what material did you choose?

Any tips or stumbling blocks you ran in to?

I went with the default, think it's called white strong flexible, simply because it was the cheapest option but it came out great and didn't miss any details out. No stumbling blocks I'm aware of, it all seemed a lot more straight forward than I was expecting.

I'd say if you were getting anything printed on a smaller scale or with finer detail to try their frosted ultra detail material. It's more expensive but apparently can produce insanely detailed prints. I'm gonna give it a try with some 1/6 scale badges just to see how they look.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back