Adam Jensen (Deus Ex) Augmented Arms question

ChosenPredator

tumblr_lqbdfqwoRG1qdm81m.png

I really want to try to make those type of arms and would love some advice on what direction I should take on making them, foam/cardboard? what do you think will work best has anyone done something similar here that I can check out their method of building?

thanks so much for the help.

There is a time and a place for makeup. I think it is seriously under looked in this community but one must ask the question "Does making prosthetic count as serious costuming?" and most certainly the less canon builds will benefit from a little makeup on hard skin tight stuff.

That being said, i would at least draw these arms out, using every angle you can find of them, before doing anything. If after doing that your satisfied with how they might look go ahead and try painting it on. Beyond that I don't have much expertise with things this detailed. I'm sure someone else can answer better but my guess is it will take lots of little pieces fit into a sleeve. perhaps some stuffed fabric at the shoulders taped to your skin?

this is just my first guess. someone else feel free to correct me if anything seems way out of line.

Good Luck! :)

Well, you might be able to do it with pieces glued onto sleeves, but that's only if your own arms aren't that big. And it might still work better to adhere them directly to the skin for better movement of the pieces.

And that's just what I've gotten from the trailer, I haven't played the game yet. But there are some good shots of the arms and hands in there.

There are a lot of design art images floating around plus images of his action figure to get views of the arms off of. I'm waiting for someone to make his sun glasses that stick to the temples for a costume prop.

Prosthetic would be nice. Cast your arm, create a master, sculpt detail on top in clay, create a negative mold and make a foam / dragon skin sleeve and paint it.

Lower budget one off could be foam pieces glued to spandex or a neoprene wet suit sleeve.

What Pandatrooper said that will give it the best detail, you can also check into mannequin arms, check with the distributor to check the shoulder to end of middle finger and check yourself to see if the measurements like up, it worked perfect for a person I did Jax arms for.

Prosthetics sounds like the best option to get that nice secure look around the skin, thanks guys I'll attempt that and see what I can possibly achieve for my first time, this should be fun trial and error :)

would resin cast pieces be an option too? I am also looking into making the augmented arms for Adam Jensen's character. I thought maybe I could make a clay sculpture of individual pieces of the arm then make a hallow resin cast of them and then adhere them to full fingered sleeves. Thoughts?

I would start with tight spandex sleeves, and build up off them. I would imagine that parts would slide over eachother in places, and not necessarily be completely rigid. Shiny PVC cloth might be a start for the metal/composite look. Whatever you do - I'd make the 'muscle-bunches' less proud than they are in-game and give the effect of roundness with graded paint treatment.

Love the look of these in-game, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I love these ares too. I need good pics though, I found some but not enough. I've got other ideas for the arms. I just need to actually finish a project. LOL.

@skiffy:
That's about what I had in mind for the augments

@Judge:
I've found a lot of images if you need any specific ones I can see if I can find those

@Spike:
That's why I'm making my own trenchcoat, I've already got the patterned material for the shoulders and the meshed grommets, I've got to find a nice leather trench coat now, to mod.

I'm using the same mannequin arms I used for a friends MK Jax arms they are the same length of my arms and you have to remember latex shrinks so the arms have a extra 2" length to them if anything I can modify the latex pulls. I'll sculpt the arms in oil based clay first, make my retaining wall and make a 2 part plaster mold for each arm to cast latex with.

@Vegabond:
You've already got the arms cast ( from the MK Jax arms)? - and so you'll just mod those to add the mechanical esthetics to the mannequin and then you'll cast that in latex?
So your augments will be made entirely of latex? Will they be like gloves that you will just slide on then?

Is that the process you will go through? I didn't understand too well with that last post.
I'm such a newb to this kind of thing.
Either way, sounds epic! I'd love to see your process you go through.

I would use a combinatoin of craft foam and body paint seeing as to paint foam you cant bend it too much or the paint will crack, so youd need to seperate the forearm and bicep and shoulder so that you can still bend them but that would mean showing skin so a bit of black bodypaint on your arm should help cover that all up :D

@Tarchinoko: That is why I was planning on a morpho-suit to hold the pieces on separately so when there was movement between the separate pieces the black morpho-suit would be the only thing to show through.

@Nick: That is EPIC! Thanks for sharing that thread!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back