Amazing collections and display ideas

blush4.gif

ONEYE, these are GREAT, thanks for posting... That's exactly what I'm having a problem with: how you can have a LARGE glass display (like floor to ceiling glass), and still have access to it to get inside. Seems the sliding glass is the best way to go.

I was thinking of using a long piano hinge across the top with something to hold it up when I'm putting new stuff in or adjusting the displays.

That's the exact Idea I had Oneye, Long hinge along the top of the shelf, glass door with maybe a knob on the bottom to lift up.

Those displays are awesome, especially that LOTR one.

It's just a long hinge that would run along the top edge of the shelf. Then you would fasten the door or window pane to it so it swivels at the top. The knob would be at the bottom so you'd grab it, pull up and the bracket swivels at the top.

Handmade hope chest cedar, leather upholstered top, handcarved

If you look at how the lid opens, you can see how the long hinge works. I hope that helps.

11vgygg.jpg

Kind of like a barrister bookcase, only the glass door wouldn't slide in, it would just open towards the ceiling like a door on its side.

A barristers bookcase is a traditional bookcase. Its distinguishing feature is clear glass front doors. This glass front is hinged at the top allowing a person to easily access books and other collectibles simply by lifting the glass door that have knobs installed on them. The barrister bookcase is ideal for just about anything. Barrister bookcases were frequently used by lawyers since it was necessary for them to keep on moving. Today, they are also very handy, especially if one is always on the move. This is because the bookcase is closed by use of doors. This enables books and collectibles to be moved while still inside the bookcase while still retaining them.

Last edited by a moderator:
damm, all this nice custom made cabinet just made me drool... it is fairly expensive to get them made where i am.. currently i only have 1 ikea detolf, which has 4 glass shelves BUT i have 11 lightsabers.. i am toying with the idea of making a acrylic riser so that i can place 2 lightsaber on a shelf instead of 1.

Do anybody know whether this is readily available somewhere?

You have two options mate !

1. You can use the acrylic cover this way :

img1250cs.jpg

2. On eBay.com , you search "acrylic stand" and you will find what you want !

You have two options mate !

1. You can use the acrylic cover this way :
2. On eBay.com , you search "acrylic stand" and you will find what you want !

thank you! i am actually using option 1 right now, but its a waste to use the cover as a stand/riser.. LOL

i actually have access to a acrylic laser cutter and bender i may just do it myself. Just wanted to check whether this idea is not ugly/insane..

cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back