Props lost or destroyed

didnt the top gun props end up in a diner, and then the diner went up in smoke

The Kansas City Barbeque in the San Diego Gas Lamp District suffered a fire a few years back.

This was the diner they used to film the "sleazy bar" sequence, where Goose sings Great Balls Of Fire.

The juke box and the piano were actual furnishings in the joint. In fact, there was little or no set dressing or production/art department modifications. What you see in the film is/was pretty much what you have in the real place.

They had (rumored) a few props (Mavericks's helmet; again, rumored), but nothing overly significant, and not a huge collection. For the most part, it was a display of photographs taken during the production process.

I am fairly confident that the last time I visited the KC BBQ was post-fire. It was the same year the MR Falcon was unveiled at Comic-Con.

At any rate, my understanding and belief is that the piano still exists (survived the fire), as does the jukebox.

Check their web site that offers more detail.

Icidentally, Charlie's house - in Oceanside - is on its last legs, if even still there.

Every Star Trek Series has had the original captain's chair taken. In the cast shot from the Enterprise series, Archer's feet do not reach the ground; this is because the chair was stolen before the photo was taken and the stunt chair was used instead.

I onwed/own a pair of george clooney shoes from goodnight and good luck...they have been lost in the nightmare that is my garage/storage area...seriously all i have left is the coa:thumbsdown

one of the gat ways from the origional king kong, was burnt down in gone with the wind, well thats what a freind of mine sayed any way but then again I could have been trolled. but all of the origional spider pit (an allready lost scene but the puppets were used as props in other fims) puppets and armatures were lost HOWEVER king kongs origional armature still exists (it is protected in a vault some where) Peter Jackson wanted to buy it and the current owner said no.

I also heard the Kong gate was burned down as part of the 'burning city' scene in Gone with the Wind.

And Bob Burns owns the original Kong armature, and occasionally takes it out on tours. He brought it to Wonderfest one year. Bob also owns one of the original motion trackers from Alien. He collects and preserves a lot of stuff for 'us.'

-MJ

According to RPF threads I've followed, the first few park sharks were made from the original Bruce mold (as was the one that is currently displayed atop a junkyard sign), but when that mold gave out a new sculpt was made, and thus there is no longer any lineage to the film sharks in the Universal attractions.

I forget what happened to the film sharks--remember, they were only finished on one side to allow for armature attachments on the side opposite the camera, so they wouldn't have been displayed or used in the parks.

The Kong wall was was originally built for Cecil B. Demille's "King of Kings" (1927), on the Culver lot. It was indeed burned down for Gone With The Wind--it's the structure falling down behind Rhett leading the horse cart with Scarlett on it.

There are several pieces sitting outside at the MGM/Hollywood studios back lot tour in Florida just baking away in the sun. Made me sad every time we'd go.

Mini planes from Pearl Harbor, the ship from Flight of the Navigator, couple of Indy nazi vehicles if I recall... random stuff like that just getting rained on, then baked, then rained on, etc :(

^that is how the Spinner was lost.

Man, that's just so retarded. Florida is such a horrible place for storing anything outside, prop or non-prop. My dad's truck has his speedometer needle melted thanks to the heat. lol

Otto the Autopilot from "Airplane!" was stored in director Jerry Zucker's garage for a long time before it disintegrated.

Aardman Animations (the people behind Wallace & Gromit, Chicken Run, and lots of famous commercials and music videos) lost all of their sets, models and props that they created for every project they worked on in a warehouse fire in 2005. Very sad...it was pretty much 30 years of animation history, lost. One thing that did survive though was the orange rocketship from Wallace & Gromit's "A Grand Day Out". It's in Nick Park's personal collection, I believe.

^that is how the Spinner was lost.
I have several photos of that spinner from all angles showing its terrible condition. But I heard it was hauled away to a dump. This story sounds odd, however, and I believe someone got hold of it.

Tons of Minority Report sets and props were destroyed after the shoot. Truckloads of material were sent to the dump.

A lot of Hellraiser material was sent to the dump too.

The Reign of Fire full-size bull dragon was sent to the dump.

It's simply too expensive to store all of the material used in a film. That's why so much gets thrown away.

At the same time, a lot of stuff is carried away by cast and crew, only to appear many, many, many years later in estate sales and private sales.

Phil

Disney does need to properly store their props. In the park there are props littered around the park. One of the two tanks from Indiana Jonaes and the Last Crusade is rotting away by the indy stunt show. A snowspeeder, and one of jabba's sand skiff's is rotting away in the backlot tour.

Aardman Animations (the people behind Wallace & Gromit, Chicken Run, and lots of famous commercials and music videos) lost all of their sets, models and props that they created for every project they worked on in a warehouse fire in 2005. Very sad...it was pretty much 30 years of animation history, lost. One thing that did survive though was the orange rocketship from Wallace & Gromit's "A Grand Day Out". It's in Nick Park's personal collection, I believe.

I remember reading a article at the time of the fire that said that they had a lot of the figures on display on a tour when it happen but still alot of there stuff was burned down.

JABBA Sand Barge, is buried right in front of "Competition Hill" right where it was filmed.

It was mostly MDF, and I doubt its nothing but a section of MUSH in the sand.

The one at disney is small...

There are people who come back from the Hill with little bits of foam from the barge occasionally and sell them on the 501st forums lol

Getting old sucks...

I could have sworn I saw a b/w picture of discarded set pieces in Elstree's backlot (landspeeder on top of Falcon fuselage section etc.) in this thread but cannot find it anymore. :wacko

Anyone?

starwars.com once posted photos taken by screenwriter Peter Briggs when he visited Elstree during the filming of ROTJ when he was a boy. Several photos of the Falcon interior set piled up as scrap to be burned.

The page isn't there anymore but there is one Google thumbnail remaining:

attachment.php

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back