The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Hello all, I am a serious newbie here so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place... I really didn't want to to start a new thread if that was not appropriate so tried to find an existing one that would possibly be the best place to ask. Actually I was hoping to find the info I need here but no luck. So...

I am intending to start my Salzo SS X-Wing in the nearish future - I think it's a V2, purchased from Starship Modeler in Oct 2006. So I am wondering what the options are for armatures for this kit. I see plenty references to the Mike Reader armature but all references I can find to obtaining that armature point to an alert page on modelermagic.com. I visited that page and link there to Mike's page is a dead link. So my question/s is/are; does anyone know if Mike Reader's armature is still available and if so how do I contact him and also what are the other options for X-Wing armatures if any? I guess then the next question is should this be a seperate thread that can then be linked to in this thread to help others in the future?

Thanks all,

Lee

Hi Lee,

I bought an armature from Mike Reader late last year. He is still making them. I'll have to dig around for his email address, but I have it somewhere. I'll pm it to you when I find it.

Hello all, I am a serious newbie here so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place... I really didn't want to to start a new thread if that was not appropriate so tried to find an existing one that would possibly be the best place to ask. Actually I was hoping to find the info I need here but no luck. So...

I am intending to start my Salzo SS X-Wing in the nearish future - I think it's a V2, purchased from Starship Modeler in Oct 2006. So I am wondering what the options are for armatures for this kit. I see plenty references to the Mike Reader armature but all references I can find to obtaining that armature point to an alert page on modelermagic.com. I visited that page and link there to Mike's page is a dead link. So my question/s is/are; does anyone know if Mike Reader's armature is still available and if so how do I contact him and also what are the other options for X-Wing armatures if any? I guess then the next question is should this be a seperate thread that can then be linked to in this thread to help others in the future?

Thanks all,

Lee

Mikes contact info is: reader@mymts.net

Thank you for that info Jkirkon - I will definitely fire an email off to him.

I am still interested to know what, if any, other options are available if anyone has more suggestions.

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know there has been a little discussion here and there, but is there a thread regarding the destruction of the original Red 5 model? Why it was changed to Red 4, why it was dismantled, etc...? Even if no one really knows, has there been any speculation?
Red5now1.jpgRed5now2.jpgRed5now3.jpgRed5now4.jpg

Sad that what once was such a beautiful ship is now in that state.

No idea why it was converted to Red 4, but I would also be interested in knowing the tale.

A recent find. I’m fairly certain this is the correct stuff.

Attachments

• File Dec 23, 10 41 05 AM.jpg
    File Dec 23, 10 41 05 AM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 815
  • File Dec 23, 10 40 35 AM.jpg
    File Dec 23, 10 40 35 AM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 771
Last edited:
brass tubing:

Long ago I copy/pasted some information and kept it on file, and it lists 8 sizes required. But I only see five sections of tubing on the cannons.

???

Here's that copied list:

3/32
1/8
5/32
3/16
7/32
1/4
9/32
5/16

.014 wall thickness

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to all the saved threads in this post?

They get lost when the site was upgraded? I hope not, this was a gold mine of information.

There is a TON of information in this thread! Thanks all!

One thing I am not seeing or able to easily find is how the wing mechanism works. I

Last edited:
It seems like almost all the threads have been lost; at least most have lost their photos... Am sad about this.
I've noticed that a lot of the older threads are dead links. I sure hope someone can recover those. Such a wealth of knowledge is gone.

I came to this thread too late; working on my first studio scale x-wing Kit now.....if only I’d gotten here years ago when the photos and links were still active!

What specific reference are you looking for?

Mostly been looking for as many Photos and bits of info regarding the pyros. Luckily I’ve found some good stuff after digging around a bit, but so much of the old links no longer work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back