The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Re: The One-Stop X-Wing Thread

Thats Blue one/Red two Steve, but a killer post nontheless, really got all excited when you said Red Leader lol.

lee

Nice, they actually blueprinted the McQuarrie X-wing. Didn't know that.

The McQuarrie X-wing... seems to me that what we call the McQuarrie X-wing probably derived from whatever was the latest thing to come off Joe Johnston's drawing board at that point.... Same with the TIE in the McQuarrie painting, not a Ralph design, a Joe design. By this stage in the production, McQuarrie's role seems to have switched from design to production painting proper, a task that saw him sticking ILM designs into his paintings to show ILM how those designs could look together in a final shot. The whole Death Star background in the 'McQuarrie X-wing' picture is definitely copied directly from a Joe Johnston sketch.

It's from the current Profiles in History Auction. It's claimed to be screen used but its not. It's the solid fuse casting. It has lineage to a real pyro but this is definately not what they claim in the auction.

I need help X wing experts. What kit is this part from?

f4engines_zps2cd97254.jpg

Rodmart85 If you want this photo removed, just let me know.

He's referring to the cone on the end of the engine itself that joins the back of the Saturn V part.

Exactly. I have pretty much every kit I need (except the brick pattern) and still can't figure out what the cone is from.

I've spent a lot of time staring at that part in all the reference of the hero models I have and here's what I think about it:

1. it's either metal or chrome-plated,
2. if it's chrome-plated, then it's likely a wheel part from a car kit, which I've been unable to find, although some of the 1/20 Tamiya kit wheels come awfully close, and
3. if it's metal, then it's likely to be some kind of small flashlight reflector or something similar.

The reason number three is likely, IMO, is that this part is attached to the closed end of the aluminum tube armature inside of every rear engine on the hero models. If we assume that tube was used to reflect light and heat from the bulb inside out through the open end of the rear engine part, then it would make sense that they would use something like a flashlight reflector on the closed end of that metal tube.

Again, all IMO.

Last edited:

It's from the current Profiles in History Auction. It's claimed to be screen used but its not. It's the solid fuse casting. It has lineage to a real pyro but this is definately not what they claim in the auction.

Also, why does the canopy appear to be stuck on? All ILM canopies were built in, no?

Yup. There is evidence of them being scored so as to break apart in a certain way but otherwise complete. This ain't the first time Profiles have taken someones word on something up for auction. Thing is the last one they sold along with the Y parts was legit. So why didn't alarm bells go off on this one?

Thanks Beaz, that's what I was afraid of. Was hoping it would be a simple part I overlooked though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back