The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Re: The One-Stop X-Wing Thread

Can anyone point me to the link of a guy building a CC X Wing that was looking awesome? He first posted pictures of it all clean as if it was out of the factory and then started weathering. Thanks

It's called "the Definitive X-Wing thread?" and one of the reasons why I didn't include it was because he used the name that I would have preferred to have called THIS thread!

JK really.

I don't know why I didn't include it but it is now at the top of the Studio Scale build links. It has some good pics of the build in progress and information about paint colours as well.

(Actually I DO remember why it wasn't included. It was because he used the name that I would have preferred to have called this thread!!!! lol) :lol

Hey man ask the mods to merge the two threads and change the name of your thread to mine. I really don't mind whose thread it is so long as there is one.

Simon.

Junk Pilot,

thanks for the idea and work making this thread. The RPF is already a great site; however, helping to organize it in a meaningful way will only make it better.
I also believe this thread should be "stuck". By the way, here is a great x-wing build that I did not see on your list: http://www.therpf.com/f10/x-wing-build-71174/

Last edited:

seeing as this is the one stop thread does anyone have pix of the Maxi Brute Cockpit?

Last edited:

I'm very honoured to be included in this, thanks. A great idea all round and such an important thread for all of us.

I seriously hope mine comes out half as good as Guy's. In fact with his superb illustrated paint techniques it should have it's own sticky.

Kind words mate, I'm all for helping or giving you some idea's if you want any?
I really do just make it up as I go along but try and remember each time what I did. If I did the Red-3 again, I would do it very differently,much less pastels.

I know pastels weren't used but they are good to replicate aged paint though.

For what it's worth here's an x-wing drawing from Profiles in History's catalog I received today. I got extremely excited when I saw this and the y-wing front/back views are going to be auctioned! They're very interesting to me because I've never seen them before. I'm thinking they might be included in the new blueprints book, but I've not seen the book yet, so I can't check. But that price?! :lol

The description states that they're made by model maker Steve Gawley (now of White Room Artifacts, LLC). It seems they're of a series of views - these being the front/rear. I assume it's as reference for the full scale set pieces. I can't figure out what the area below between the fuselage and engines are depicting. They don't seem super accurate to the studio scale models, but maybe they can be helpful in some way. Something new to discuss at least...

Early drawings depict a sort of dual cylindrical bump out back there.

I have seen a draft done by Gawley from August 27th, 1975 (revised 1 October '75) that shows the cylindrical bump outs "deleted" - per notes they were the original housings/location of the landing gears...

I plan to make a kit of the proto Gawley X-Wing from the materials out there... once I clear the log of stuff I have on the bench! It's to me a real-world bridge between the McQuarrie and the studio model.

Ah...cool. Thanks for filling in the gaps. Sounds like a fun project.

You'll also note the fuselage is a bit odd in the bottom section. I guess that's another area where you can differentiate. The fuselage doesn't take that big step to a larger rear like the models. As I know about the models, that rear portion was probably made bigger to accommodate all the mechanisms (and maybe other stuff) for the wings to open and close.

guys, all the links in the collection are compromised due to the hijacking. Maybe they should either be taken down for now or corrected?

this thread makes me want to go out in the garage and pull out the old x-wing model i have and start working on it.but first i should finish up that biker scout/speeder bike i have kinda put aside and finish that.

I was in the process of adding a new link the other day and noticed they had the old rpf.com in them. However, when I added the link they all changed to therpf.com links.

Hopefully the links will be good.

Nice, they actually blueprinted the McQuarrie X-wing. Didn't know that.

In the process of making this thread a little more user friendly.

Does anyone know of any good threads on the Estes Maxi-Brute at all? I've only seen an image here and there but nothing substantial.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back