Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    Toronto canada
    Messages
    58
    Aug 20, 2011, 3:52 PM - batman/returns suits #1

    hey guys does anyone know where the original batman and returns bat suits are ,who has them? ect just curious
  2. Darth 123's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    161
    Aug 20, 2011, 4:02 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #2

    I think the Prop Store has one though itīs not 100 % complete:
    Prop Store Of London: Batman Returns Costume - YouTube

    here is also another one:

    Original Batman Returns Costume - YouTube
  3. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    Toronto canada
    Messages
    58
    Aug 20, 2011, 4:05 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #3

    awsome thanks!!
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Messages
    27
    Sep 2, 2011, 5:45 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #4

    I wonder how heavy that suit is to wear??
  5. Finhead is offline Finhead
    Sep 3, 2011, 1:34 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #5

    LOL not at all, it was cast in foam latex. About as light as it gets for Batsuit.
    And there were most likely 20 suits cast for each film. Just foam latex deteriorates so bad you'll have a hard time finding any intact unless well kept.
  6. RPF Premium Member slimesquare's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    503
    Sep 3, 2011, 5:50 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #6

    Finhead said: View Post
    LOL not at all, it was cast in foam latex. About as light as it gets for Batsuit.
    And there were most likely 20 suits cast for each film. Just foam latex deteriorates so bad you'll have a hard time finding any intact unless well kept.
    the same problem with the TMNT suits...foam latex doesnt do well after a few years, especially if you look at everything Tom Spina did to that leonardo
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    Toronto canada
    Messages
    58
    Sep 4, 2011, 5:41 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #7

    i believe shawn (reevz)just picked one up or one that was built for production, its in rough shape but he plans to restore it, super awsome
  8. RPF Social Media Team Westies14's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2000
    From
    Massachusetts
    Messages
    2,720
    Sep 7, 2011, 9:52 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #8

    Finhead said: View Post
    LOL not at all, it was cast in foam latex. About as light as it gets for Batsuit.
    And there were most likely 20 suits cast for each film. Just foam latex deteriorates so bad you'll have a hard time finding any intact unless well kept.
    Surprisingly, the original Batman costume actually weighed around 70 lbs! I'm sure much of that was due to the cape and harness. Keaton had a rough time of it in there, by most accounts. They were happy getting the Returns suit down to around 55 pounds.
  9. Finhead is offline Finhead
    Sep 7, 2011, 10:08 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #9

    Spery123 said: View Post
    i believe shawn (reevz)just picked one up or one that was built for production, its in rough shape but he plans to restore it, super awsome
    Shawn's partner picked up a 89 suit not the Returns, and yes still in rough shape but one of the best out there.

    westies 14 said: View Post
    Surprisingly, the original Batman costume actually weighed around 70 lbs! I'm sure much of that was due to the cape and harness. Keaton had a rough time of it in there, by most accounts. They were happy getting the Returns suit down to around 55 pounds.
    Yeah I know. A lot of that weight was in the cape and harness as you say.
  10. Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Messages
    613
    Sep 7, 2011, 7:45 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #10

    There was still a bit of weight to the suit as well. Foam rubber is light in theory, yes. But when it's run as dense as those suits where (I've held pieces) and in that size the weight picks up. The cape was over 50lbs. that added to the bodysuit.

    I'm aware of an '89 suit at the Peterson Auto Museum, a few in the Warner's archives (1 being the on that was on display in the museum), I BELIEVE Prop Store has a partial in the London office as well as a Nicholson costume, there's the production pieces Shawn's "partner" has (full body armor), some production pieces that PJ has (just legs, forearms, and calves), and one full screen used suit in the hands of a private collector. There's also a full '89 at Elstree Studios in the UK.

    And then Returns, Theres a few in the WB archives. Propstore LA has one (bodysuit, cape, and cowl), PJ has a production made cowl, and I know of three private collectors, one with a bodysuit and armor, one with the "driving" suit armored from the waist up, and the same collector with the SU '89 has a SU Returns. There was another auction site to sell off a full Returns as well. I think it may be a relatively recent PiH
  11. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    Wiltshire, UK
    Messages
    55
    Nov 16, 2011, 9:14 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #11

    I do indeed have some of these pieces and may be looking to offload them if anyone is interested http://www.therpf.com/f13/batman-198...0/#post2003345
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Messages
    85
    Nov 16, 2011, 11:11 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #12

    I know this is an older thread, but one of the Returns suits is on display at the Hollywood Casino near Hershey, PA. I walked through their small prop room. Some stuff from Elvis, some of Hudson's gear from Aliens, etc. Kind of cool, but the Returns suit looked pretty bad up close.
  13. Darth 123's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Germany
    Messages
    161
    Nov 18, 2011, 11:07 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #13

    msisaac said: View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but one of the Returns suits is on display at the Hollywood Casino near Hershey, PA. I walked through their small prop room. Some stuff from Elvis, some of Hudson's gear from Aliens, etc. Kind of cool, but the Returns suit looked pretty bad up close.
    Any chance to take some pics-would be really cool!
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    US, GA
    Messages
    46
    Nov 21, 2011, 4:40 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #14

    Actually a 91 Batman Returns Suit will be in the next profiles in History Auction this Dec. I know they had one for sale back in oct of 09 as well. I do remember back in 94 a Returns full suit was sold thru Oddysey auction house. They also sold a Catwoman body suit in the same auction. here is an Image from that Catalog

    If you look over to the left in this video you can see the Batman Returns costume Judy Garland Wizard of Oz Ruby Slippers Auction Interview with Joe Maddalena - YouTube
  15. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    Wiltshire, UK
    Messages
    55
    Nov 22, 2011, 1:30 AM - #15

    It'll be interesting to see what the description of that suit will be as I'd put money on it not being screen used.

    The cowl is the Steve Wang prototype that was not used and the body armour looks like raw foam. The screen used suits were all coated with a polyurethane sealant, which appears absent on this.
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Messages
    159
    Nov 22, 2011, 2:17 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #16

    pjw said: View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what the description of that suit will be as I'd put money on it not being screen used.

    The cowl is the Steve Wang prototype that was not used and the body armour looks like raw foam. The screen used suits were all coated with a polyurethane sealant, which appears absent on this.
    Good eye on the cowl. I would definitely like to see how they word this because as you said the foam doesnt seem sealed. Stunt maybe? Stunt back up? theres no way a stunt suit that was screen used mad it THIS long (1992) without some sort of wear and tear. The foam isnt made to do that. Go look at the Teenage mutant ninja turtles costume pieces from the same era movies and see the wear and tear on those. They were hero and theyre falling apart.

    I would bet this was made from the same master, on set or in prop department, sat on a rack and because it was commissioned for the movie it automatically made it screen used.
  17. josh2112's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Messages
    42
    Nov 22, 2011, 8:17 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #17

    Im actually planning to sell my screen accurate Returns suit. The majority of the costume is made from molds used in the film so it is very much authentic. If it wasnt for me being forced to move and sell everything I would not be getting rid.

    Email me for pics and pr icings if your interested!

    joshuajamesappleby@gmail.com
  18. Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Messages
    613
    Nov 29, 2011, 7:30 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #18

    emailed
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Messages
    2
    Apr 20, 2017, 3:49 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #19

    I am resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one because this one contains so much great information.

    I am looking for information on authentic emblems from Batman Returns, whether they be resin or rubber. I recently purchased an emblem that is allegedly from the movie and would like to find out if it's real. To that end, I was hoping to compare it to some authentic ones, if anyone owns one or knows of one. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

    Steve
  20. RPF Premium Member MattgomeryBurns's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2015
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    1,105
    Apr 21, 2017, 11:49 PM - Re: batman/returns suits #20

    collecktor said: View Post
    I am resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one because this one contains so much great information.

    I am looking for information on authentic emblems from Batman Returns, whether they be resin or rubber. I recently purchased an emblem that is allegedly from the movie and would like to find out if it's real. To that end, I was hoping to compare it to some authentic ones, if anyone owns one or knows of one. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

    Steve
    These pics were posted to the Movie Props Facebook group. Low res, so I'm not sure how much they'll help. You should post your question there too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/movieprops/

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18057859_10210165726073802_5530594116769130140_n.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	723216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18056761_10210165637951599_7902781212814354325_n.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	723217
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Messages
    2
    Apr 22, 2017, 8:41 AM - Re: batman/returns suits #21

    Thank you for your suggestion. I posted those pics when asking this question on fb. Thank you again.

    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. Batman suits
    Bob12345678, DC Costumes and Props
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2015, 8:53 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 PM
  3. Propstore featuring original Batman Returns props at Batman/Batman Returns Screening
    MoviePropCollector, Production Made Costumes and Props
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov 22, 2011, 8:23 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 19, 2010, 4:07 PM