Ready Player One

I have to read the book. I already read most all the wiki on the book.
The thing that stand out to me from the trailer is the music. It's great music, but 70's music. Also if you are scoring the film. Wouldn't you want to have have a future soundtrack as well, most movies that feature the "future" seems to want to create a sound for that new era.
Maybe there is an explaintion that will come later from HZ.

But it it looks interesting and cool.

Feels bit like Tron and Matrix had a baby.

You would think that the first Tron would have been referenced.
I think any Disney reference is out. Spielberg/ Amblin and Universal get along so we may see more of that.

*****Spoilers************

Well Tom Sawyer was released in 1981 but I too associate it with the 1970s rather than the 1980s; although, we know that Rush plays a large part in the book. The Iron Giant, not so much and I really hope they don't decide to use him instead of Ultraman. Ultraman was huge (pun intended) in the book and key to the story so they better not replace him with a crappy 1999 animated adaptation of Ted Hughes' Cold War fable.

As for the race, I figure its an easy way to involve a large number IOI to demonstrate their capabilities to the viewer who has not read the book. Also, there seems to be a lot more use of the DMC 12. I assume there will be an attempt to focus on more commonly known 1980s arcade games like pac-man and less attention to the obscure but just as important historical games. So I expect the race scene is one of the gat or key tests. Also I am interested to see how or if they even try to do the war games role play.

Last edited by a moderator:
*****Spoilers************
Well Tom Sawyer was released in 1981 but I too associate it with the 1970s rather than the 1980s; although, we know that Rush plays a large part in the book. The Iron Giant, not so much and I really hope they don't decide to use him instead of Ultraman. Ultraman was huge (pun intended) in the book and key to the story so they better not replace him with a crappy 1999 animated adaptation of Ted Hughes' Cold War fable.

No offense, but they may have not been able to get the Ultraman character rights to feature it. Kinda hard to feature a character if the company that owns it won't allow you to use it. Besides, the Iron Giant was one of the mechs/robots you could select as a prize for completing the second gate, so, the Iron Giant was in the book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but they may have not been able to get the Ultraman character rights to feature it. Kinda hard to feature a character if the company that owns it won't allow you to use it. Besides, the Iron Giant was one of the mechs/robots you could select as a prize for completing the second gate, so, the Iron Giant was in the book.

CB2001 no offense taken, and you may be correct that the Iron Giant was one of the robots you could win. Honestly, I cannot remember all the robots were available to choose from. Further, you are probably correct about getting the rights to use Ultraman since there is still a huge following of Ultraman in Japan. I guess I was just venting my fear that Ultraman would not be included in the movie. If you noticed my avatar, I am a big Ultraman fan and I was pleasantly surprised to read about him in the book. I really hope that he still makes an appearance.

CB2001 no offense taken, and you may be correct that the Iron Giant was one of the robots you could win. Honestly, I cannot remember all the robots were available to choose from. Further, you are probably correct about getting the rights to use Ultraman since there is still a huge following of Ultraman in Japan. I guess I was just venting my fear that Ultraman would not be included in the movie. If you noticed my avatar, I am a big Ultraman fan and I was pleasantly surprised to read about him in the book. I really hope that he still makes an appearance.

I understand. A lot of fans are disappointed that the Tomb of Horrors from the book, as well as possibly WarGames, may not be featured in the film (at this point, hard to know if the ToH will be there). But, the upside is this: typically, fans of a film adaptation will often seek out the books of the author. That means that more people will read RPO, and in turn be introduced to Ultraman. Who knows, they may end up making a subtle reference somewhere (fans have noticed on the mail van seen at on location shooting for the car chase, that there's D&D artwork on it. So even though he may not be a present as he was in the book, there may be the likelihood that they may have gotten to use his likeness as graffiti in on of the RL scenes).

Not only a following, but Ultraman is making a resurgence. There's a series going on right now, in fact: Ultraman Geed.

Haven't there been new Ultraman series running basically every year, same with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai? Crunchyroll has been simulcasting them for a while now.

Haven't there been new Ultraman series running basically every year, same with Kamen Rider and Super Sentai? Crunchyroll has been simulcasting them for a while now.

It hasn't been nearly as regular as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. In fact, Kamen Rider has been doing 2 series for a while. Ultraman has been doing a relatively short series every year or year and a half. Unlike Super Sentai and often Kamen Rider, at least IMO, some of the Ultraman series actually look really good.

It hasn't been nearly as regular as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. In fact, Kamen Rider has been doing 2 series for a while. Ultraman has been doing a relatively short series every year or year and a half. Unlike Super Sentai and often Kamen Rider, at least IMO, some of the Ultraman series actually look really good.

1) Kamen Rider is still only one a year. The only time there were two was when Decade and Double were both within a year, but that's only because Decade was a shorter series (only 30 episodes, rather than the normal 50). Kamen Rider series start in September/October, Sentai starts in February.

2) Hey, I like Kamen Rider and Sentai!

Not only a following, but Ultraman is making a resurgence. There's a series going on right now, in fact: Ultraman Geed.
And it is available on Crunchyroll.
KqSjvj0.jpg

1) Kamen Rider is still only one a year. The only time there were two was when Decade and Double were both within a year, but that's only because Decade was a shorter series (only 30 episodes, rather than the normal 50). Kamen Rider series start in September/October, Sentai starts in February.

They are doing Kamen Rider Snipe: Episode Zero this year, which granted is an Ex-Aid prequel, but it is still a second series being run alongside the first one. They also just finished doing Kamen Rider Amazons. They have been doing extra material every year for quite a while now, beyond having a movie and a "team-up" special as they always have.

2) Hey, I like Kamen Rider and Sentai!

There was a time where these shows weren't so blatantly toyetic, where they had decent stories that didn't revolve around getting parents to buy every single new action figure that came out by the dozen. I really haven't seen a good Kamen Rider since Den-O or Fourze. Super Sentai has been pretty bad since maybe Magiranger. Of course, that's my opinion, YMMV.

This film is likely going to be an unfortunate experience in theatres. From my point of view it seems to be exploiting the present day obsession with several past decades of what is now nostalgic content, rather than coming up with something original and brilliant. Those are my 2 cents, actually, I won't be giving any money. :D

This film is likely going to be an unfortunate experience in theatres. From my point of view it seems to be exploiting the present day obsession with several past decades of what is now nostalgic content, rather than coming up with something original and brilliant. Those are my 2 cents, actually, I won't be giving any money. :D

Ummmmm.... you are aware that this is based on a book that does exactly that (play heavily- almost entirely - on nostalgia), correct? It's not like they could adapt the book yet still go off in a direction of "something original and brilliant" and still be, you know . . . adapting the book.

M

Ummmmm.... you are aware that this is based on a book that does exactly that (play heavily- almost entirely - on nostalgia), correct? It's not like they could adapt the book yet still go off in a direction of "something original and brilliant" and still be, you know . . . adapting the book.

M

Yes I am. Are you?

Yep. Read the book more than once. But I’m not the one criticizing the movie adaptation of the book because it follows the book, rather than going off and doing something “original and brilliant “

If you were criticizing the book, your criticism would be absolutely valid – but you’re criticizing this as a moviegoing experience for not completely diverging from the source material , rather than criticizing the original source material.

M

Yep. Read the book more than once. But I’m not the one criticizing the movie adaptation of the book because it follows the book, rather than going off and doing something “original and brilliant “

If you were criticizing the book, your criticism would be absolutely valid – but you’re criticizing this as a moviegoing experience for not completely diverging from the source material , rather than criticizing the original source material.

M

Although I only read the book once a few years back, as a similar teen of the '80's as you Mike, I new the vast majority of the references. Watching the trailer was a real head scratcher for me as so much of what I saw I didn't recognize or connect with at all.

Although I only read the book once a few years back, as a similar teen of the '80's as you Mike, I new the vast majority of the references. Watching the trailer was a real head scratcher for me as so much of what I saw I didn't recognize or connect with at all.

Well, I loved the book - though I knew full well as I was reading it that I was being mercilessly manipulated. I think Ernie Cline is a year or two younger than you and me - but his book was targeted squarely at someone my age, and I relished it. I mean, what a joy to have someone not only mention Zork - but to make it a significant part of the plot?

That being said - I agree with you about the trailer. For one thing, it went by so fast that I had a hard time actually catching much of anything. However, the bigger issue is that, while the book was aimed squarely between the eyes of a nostalgic person in their mid-to-late 40s (hello from the way upper end of that range), the movie obviously can't be so narrowly tailored. So I suspect that, whether they make it a part of the plot or not, the references are going to be much more a grab-bag of "late 20th century" pop-culture references rather than the "1980s but really mostly the 1981-1985 period" focused on in the book. After all, if I was tickled that someone besides me remembered Zork, that's probably a good sign that 99% of the movie-buying public have ZERO idea Zork even existed (much less played it, in all its "look East", "pick up kettle" glory). So the film is likely going to lean much more into "stuff lots of people would recognize". (Even if that excludes me personally - for example, I've never watched anything that remotely could be called anime, not since "Battle of the Planets" before school in 1979-1980. I can only assume "Kamen Rider" is maybe somehow related that show with David Hasselhoff and the black car. But who knows?)

Though, again, I agree with you, I apparently didn't recognize much of what was in the trailer, likely because it went by so fast - plus was possibly filled with references that, even if I did get a good glimpse of, wouldn't recognize because they are "after my time".

M

Edit to add - to tie back into my original point: the book was an unabashed nostalgia-fest, and so should be the film. The film will just play on things that evokes nostalgia in a wider swath of audience than the relatively narrow audience for the book. But, yeah, still a nostalgia-grab.

Well, I loved the book - though I knew full well as I was reading it that I was being mercilessly manipulated. I think Ernie Cline is a year or two younger than you and me - but his book was targeted squarely at someone my age, and I relished it. I mean, what a joy to have someone not only mention Zork - but to make it a significant part of the plot?

That being said - I agree with you about the trailer. For one thing, it went by so fast that I had a hard time actually catching much of anything. However, the bigger issue is that, while the book was aimed squarely between the eyes of a nostalgic person in their mid-to-late 40s (hello from the way upper end of that range), the movie obviously can't be so narrowly tailored. So I suspect that, whether they make it a part of the plot or not, the references are going to be much more a grab-bag of "late 20th century" pop-culture references rather than the "1980s but really mostly the 1981-1985 period" focused on in the book. After all, if I was tickled that someone besides me remembered Zork, that's probably a good sign that 99% of the movie-buying public have ZERO idea Zork even existed (much less played it, in all its "look East", "pick up kettle" glory). So the film is likely going to lean much more into "stuff lots of people would recognize". (Even if that excludes me personally - for example, I've never watched anything that remotely could be called anime, not since "Battle of the Planets" before school in 1979-1980. I can only assume "Kamen Rider" is maybe somehow related that show with David Hasselhoff and the black car. But who knows?)

Though, again, I agree with you, I apparently didn't recognize much of what was in the trailer, likely because it went by so fast - plus was possibly filled with references that, even if I did get a good glimpse of, wouldn't recognize because they are "after my time".

M

Edit to add - to tie back into my original point: the book was an unabashed nostalgia-fest, and so should be the film. The film will just play on things that evokes nostalgia in a wider swath of audience than the relatively narrow audience for the book. But, yeah, still a nostalgia-grab.

Well said. I try and be pragmatic about my fandom and making this nostalgia broader is the correct creative instinct. 49 year olds don't bring in big box office. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back