Ready Player One

Has anyone thought of doing a cosplay for this movie? Not just a simple one but based off the trailer there is a potential for a mass cosplay. Just as an example: the scene where the "drones" were getting into virtual cars. Everyone dressed like that, headgear on, and everyone just gets into a virtual car at certain times in the day at a specific spot. What do you think? Too difficult?

Has anyone thought of doing a cosplay for this movie? Not just a simple one but based off the trailer there is a potential for a mass cosplay. Just as an example: the scene where the "drones" were getting into virtual cars. Everyone dressed like that, headgear on, and everyone just gets into a virtual car at certain times in the day at a specific spot. What do you think? Too difficult?

It'd be difficult to be able to make the costume accurate due to the limited amount of view we have of the IOI avatars. I mean, most of the shots that are full body are too far back to get any details and the only up close shots are from the thighs on up (which mean no clear view of the footwear). Best to wait for either some pre-production art or at least until the film to come out to be able to get details accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has got to be the oddest first post I've seen on the RPF :lol

Zak Penn and Ernest Cline have likely changed the plot in the script on how they meet in person for the first time.

Though I wish they stuck to the book version, I am guessing in this scenario they encounter each other as strangers without realizing each other's Oasis counterpart.

Just finished the book, a great read I would recommend to anyone.

I guess the GTA style car chase is invented for the film.

I didn't spot that many Spielberg references in the book though.

Looks like Art3mis is wearing a Joy Division T-shirt under the vest. Can anyone confirm that? But it does look like her goggles has a Street Fighter sticker on it. I don't see anything else jumping out yet.

I don't think that is real life, could be the basement. Although the fact she has the headset on would make that a strange choice, unless she is welding or something.

I don't think that is real life, could be the basement. Although the fact she has the headset on would make that a strange choice, unless she is welding or something.

It has to be RL. This scene looks like it may depart from the book a bit by having them meet sooner, but it has to be RL. As we've seen with the footage in the trailer, the scenes in the OASIS all appear to be digitally rendered (even Wade's avatar when we see him walking into the club is clearly a digital character). And, why would you be wearing an OASIS rig inside of the OASIS?

Last edited:
Also, those that read it keep in mind the film may not follow the book exactly, as the race featured in the film (as seen in the trailer) is not in the book.

Also, those that read it keep in mind the film may not follow the book exactly, as the race featured in the film (as seen in the trailer) is not in the book.

It's early yet, but as we see more of the movie, it's starting to look like this could really be more of an "inspired by" than a true adaptation of the book.

I have to read the book. I already read most all the wiki on the book.
The thing that stand out to me from the trailer is the music. It's great music, but 70's music. Also if you are scoring the film. Wouldn't you want to have have a future soundtrack as well, most movies that feature the "future" seems to want to create a sound for that new era.
Maybe there is an explaintion that will come later from HZ.

But it it looks interesting and cool.

Feels bit like Tron and Matrix had a baby.

You would think that the first Tron would have been referenced.
I think any Disney reference is out. Spielberg/ Amblin and Universal get along so we may see more of that.

It's early yet, but as we see more of the movie, it's starting to look like this could really be more of an "inspired by" than a true adaptation of the book.

Much like Jurassic Park. But, I said this because there's a lot of fans who are upset because it's not going to be exactly like the book, and are panicking at such changes like how Wade and Art3mis meet in the real world (as in the book, they finally meet after the contest is over, whereas for the Empire Magazine picture, it appears to be much sooner). I say give the film a chance and then make the judgment. And it's not like they're completely ignoring the book, as Cline is involved with the script and knows what he's doing.

As for the Rush and 1970s Rock, it's in relation to Halliday, the creator of the OASIS and the contest. Halliday is stated to be a fan of Rush, and to find the key for the second gate, he uses a recreation of Syrinx from Rush's album 2112 (which is stated to be his favorite). I'm personally not a fan of Tom Sawyer, but hopefully they'll use another song in the actual film. When it comes to the setting of the story, due to Halliday's obsession with the 1980s and it tying into the egg hunt, 1980s music has come back (and since the score is going to be done by Alan Silvestri, who gave use the scores for Back To The Future, The Abyss, Predator, Predator 2 and Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War. So, it will most likely be an orchestral score like most of Spielberg's 1980s films).

Last edited:
Much like Jurassic Park. But, I said this because there's a lot of fans who are upset because it's not going to be exactly like the book, and are panicking at such changes like how Wade and Art3mis meet in the real world (as in the book, they finally meet after the contest is over, whereas for the Empire Magazine picture, it appears to be much sooner). I say give the film a chance and then make the judgment. And it's not like they're completely ignoring the book, as Cline is involved with the script and knows what he's doing.

As for the Rush and 1970s Rock, it's in relation to Halliday, the creator of the OASIS and the contest. Halliday is stated to be a fan of Rush, and to find the key for the second gate, he uses a recreation of Syrinx from Rush's album 2112 (which is stated to be his favorite). I'm personally not a fan of Tom Sawyer, but hopefully they'll use another song in the actual film. When it comes to the setting of the story, due to Halliday's obsession with the 1980s and it tying into the egg hunt, 1980s music has come back (and since the score is going to be done by Alan Silvestri, who gave use the scores for Back To The Future, The Abyss, Predator, Predator 2 and Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War. So, it will most likely be an orchestral score like most of Spielberg's 1980s films.

Art3mis is one of the best known players in the Oasis. She has endorsements and is widely regarded as a top-tier Gunter. Why the hell would she be using what looks like half-ass gear in what looks like a warehouse gathering spot? In the books, she lived in an actual house in a suburb. Did they feel they had to downgrade her for the movie so she wouldn't overshadow Wade? Makes me wonder how they'll handle Aech then...

Art3mis is one of the best known players in the Oasis. She has endorsements and is widely regarded as a top-tier Gunter. Why the hell would she be using what looks like half-ass gear in what looks like a warehouse gathering spot? In the books, she lived in an actual house in a suburb. Did they feel they had to downgrade her for the movie so she wouldn't overshadow Wade? Makes me wonder how they'll handle Aech then...

Well, her outfit suggests she's well to do. By what the scene suggests, this may possibly be after Wade's infiltration of the IOI (with them not doing the THX-1138 appearance for Wade) and she is the first Wade meets IRL, and they are logging into the OASIS to go to the Basement (Aech's private chat room) after Wade warns the remaining High Five about the IOI knowing where they live. And from what some sources say, Aech is being handled similar to the book (won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, but his avatar is the Cybernetic Orc seen in the trailer. However, in the book, it's stated he uses a male avatar for everything he does in the OASIS, and the Orc could be his competitive avatar, as the book states that the schools in the OASIS prohibit the use of nonhuman avatars). The only change I've noticed is that he lives in the mail van we've seen being used in the chase sequence shot on location, not the electric RV he picks Wade up in from the book.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back