Ready Player One

I added it to my list, it looks really good. I love 80s pop culture references and cyberpunk so it works for me.

I just finished it last night. Ernie Cline's "air wolf" piece is brilliant, and I quite liked FANBOYS, so I figured I'd like this.

I can't believe Warner's optioned it; I can't imagine a bigger nightmare for rights-and-clearances. :lol

just finished...

it's hardly prose, written with the 'grace' of a 17 yr old in high school creative writing IMO, but was a pleasant walk back through my childhood favorites.

anyone having trouble finding the 2600 emu? send me a pm... oh btw what happened to larry young?

one of my favorite books! some day soon i am going to make the three keys from the book. There is little description of the keys in the book but i have a basic design in mind and i will be casting them in resin.

I have recently gotten up to the post-prison attack story of The Walking Dead comics, so, I started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I know I'm on Chapter 3 and still have a ways to go, but there are some things I'd like to see for the upcoming movie, if possible:
1. Mrs. Gilmore should be played by Betty White (what'd be more 1980s than to have the last remaining Golden Girl a part of a movie where 1980s pop culture is a part of the design?).
2. That Steven Spielberg, instead of having the film's look and feel be recent, that he has the film's look and feel be like that of his films from the 1980s. Don't get me wrong, I like some of his recent work, but let's face it, his films in the 1980s, despite how dark they may be in content, always have a distinct look and feel that he hasn't had since Schindler's List. I mean, Spielberg himself can get the look and feel of his own movies for a film where the 1980s has had a resurgence.
3. Though I get the idea of using CG for the OASIS, I would like for them to use model and practical effects like the 1980s films. There's a realism that would best be captured by using old school effects in comparison to using CG, not to mention the aesthetic of it.

But, that's just my opinion. I've still got a ways to go, and I'm enjoying the book thus far.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread pop up. Just got the book for Father's Day and I'm enjoying it. I'm about 2/3 of the way through.

This movie is going to be a licensing nightmare. I hope they can pull it off.

Glad to see this thread pop up. Just got the book for Father's Day and I'm enjoying it. I'm about 2/3 of the way through.

This movie is going to be a licensing nightmare. I hope they can pull it off.

That may be true. However, if Spielberg was able to get the licenses for Disney characters and Looney Tune characters for Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, there's always a chance. Plus, it's an easy pitch. Think of it like this: so far from what I've read, I've gotten the references to the works of John Hughes, the movie Heathers, the character has watched several episodes of Family Matters and there's a reference to The Last Starfighter. And so far, I've also noted the use of Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo. Now, most modern day people, especially teenagers, don't know of these properties unless they have a parent who grew up in the 1980s and pretty much forced them to listen/watch these works. Spielberg could easily pitch the rights owners the chance to be featured in the film, which could lead a new audience to watch/listen to their works, thus a new possible boost in revenue for those properties because the younger generation may become interested in seeking them out after their inclusion in the film. I know it's a long shot, but seriously, this is Steven Spielberg we're talking about. I'm sure he'll be able to make the deal to include some of them.

BTW, having to have a bit of a video game collection, I found out I actually have a copy of Adventure for the Atari 2600 that is made reference to in the opening of the book.

Last edited:
I've just spent five and half hours reading the book. I went from Chapter 3 to Chapter 13. That bit with the recreation of WarGames was kinda awesome (not sure if they would include it in the film or not), but maybe they can get Matthew Broderick to voice do alternate takes of his lines from the film, in case they decide to include at least the beginning and ending of it in the film. This book is intense! And, I had Pandora opened on my iPad listening to 1980s music as I was reading as well.

I've just spent five and half hours reading the book. I went from Chapter 3 to Chapter 13. That bit with the recreation of WarGames was kinda awesome (not sure if they would include it in the film or not), but maybe they can get Matthew Broderick to voice do alternate takes of his lines from the film, in case they decide to include at least the beginning and ending of it in the film. This book is intense! And, I had Pandora opened on my iPad listening to 1980s music as I was reading as well.
I really loved the hell out of this book, I couldnt stop reading it when it first came out, I squeeeed like a little girl at the end. It was such a satisfying read, but like you guys mentioned, I dont know how they are going to pull off the licensing for that. But yeah, I would really love the 80's aesthetic for it too. Im a huge proponent for practical effects soooo listen up Spielberg!

I really loved the hell out of this book, I couldnt stop reading it when it first came out, I squeeeed like a little girl at the end. It was such a satisfying read, but like you guys mentioned, I dont know how they are going to pull off the licensing for that. But yeah, I would really love the 80's aesthetic for it too. Im a huge proponent for practical effects soooo listen up Spielberg!

I especially would prefer using matte painting and model miniatures, especially for real world sequences like The Stack. Yes, I know it would be easier to do them CG. But as we've all talked about before dozens of times here, at the forums, there's a look and feel to real models being filmed that give more of a sense of realism than a CG model.

I'm certainly loving the book so far. I, for the life of me, can't figure out why Aech knocks on Ladyhawke for. I always thought that was a pretty dang good movie for its time. But then again, since I grew up watching it, I'm probably a bit bias on that regard. And as I was reading, I was was laughing at the reference to the Ewoks TV movies as being "the lowest point in the franchise." Clearly, they never saw the prequels or the Holiday Special. XD And I can't help but laugh at the references to Spielberg in the novel, primarily because he's now the director of the film. The only thing cooler than that for the film is if they could actually use the recently restored A-Car Delorean Time Machine for BTTF for the film (seriously, why not? In the novel, Halliday had a screen-used and restored BTTF DeLorean. It's never stated which vehicle it is. And it'd be great to see the A-Car back on the screen once more). :D

Last edited:
Aech knocks Ladyhawke because he is a philistine who has no appreciation for the sheer awesomeness of that movie!

Also, I owe my editor big-time for turning me on to this book and The Martian. Two of my favorites now.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back