Ready Player One

Whats the source for the earlyer googles or are any really accurate kits out there with the real propdimensions and stickers?

My wife and I just streamed this tonight. We'd been wanting to see it since it came out but since we never go to the theater these days we just rented it.

Overall it was fun mostly forgettable popcorn fare, though it did have a certain amount of charm that made it entertaining to watch. The references were well placed and some of them so subtle that they struck me as blink and you'll miss it, which I enjoyed because they didn't call attention to themselves.

The plot was a bit convoluted and the characters didn't strike me as all that memorable but they were likeable and the visuals were really impressive. The performances were good and the young cast was fun to watch. I'm sure the book delved more into the characters and I think this would have been stronger if they had established a bit more of what this dystopian world was like before they delved into the Oasis in the film version. The danger wasn't as imminent as it could have been either and after dragging out the final battle sequence I found it kind of hokey that the villain just gave up when he reached Parzival and had him at gun point. His menace seemed, not quite so menacing.

The use of motion capture and the CG that went into recreating the hotel sequences from The Shining actually surprised me with their authenticity. As much as I am a sucker for happy endings this felt a bit too sappy for my tastes and reminded me a lot of A.I. where there was a clear distinction between where Stanley Kubrick would have ended the film and where Spielberg ended it by tying it into a neat, pretty little bow while everyone smiled.

I think the style and visuals of this movie were it's strengths and on those elements I enjoyed it very much. The thing I find so amazing is while his book is an ode to that era of film making and Speilberg in particular I can only imagine what a thrill it must have been for him to have his hero make a film adaptation of his book. What a strange and wonderful thing! On the whole I liked it but I don't suspect I will ever feel the need to watch it again.

Last edited:
I really like this film. One thing I don't appreciate much in some later Spielberg films is how the "world" looks. In this sense, the "real world" in the movie. Like in War of the Worlds it has this overblown weird look, where it doesn't look natural. And in a movie where it has to show the difference between the real world and the virtual reality world... you need the real world to look real. Like the look in Jurassic Park. I'm still amazed by how that looks. It looks real. It looks natural. The sequels not so much because they are screwed up by all that color correcting, which makes things look artificial and fake.

I really like this film. One thing I don't appreciate much in some later Spielberg films is how the "world" looks. In this sense, the "real world" in the movie. Like in War of the Worlds it has this overblown weird look, where it doesn't look natural. And in a movie where it has to show the difference between the real world and the virtual reality world... you need the real world to look real. Like the look in Jurassic Park. I'm still amazed by how that looks. It looks real. It looks natural. The sequels not so much because they are screwed up by all that color correcting, which makes things look artificial and fake.

I think he was highlighting the difference by desaturating and grubbing up the real world. This is post climate crisis Earth, with a great deal of pollution and environmental collapse going on around them. y contrast, the Oasis is bright and saturated, because it's the place where people WANT to be. Basically a flip of the Matrix; where the real world is colorful, but harsh and the Matrix is sickly green and cold.

Yes, but he could have done that while keeping the real world similar to how he filmed Jurassic Park and just adding smog... I am just not a fan of the blown-out image he has for the real world in RPO, and in War of the Worlds. It looks too unnatural.

I just finished the book. I really enjoyed it, he throws some good references around.

I think they did a very good job of translating it into film, a lot of the challenges in the book wouldn't be very cinematic and I think they solved them well.

That said, there;s a lot that could have been used in the first act of the movie to set the universe a bit more. That's one let down in the port over.

If you enjoyed the film, the book is a very enjoyable read, its more of the same, but different.

I watched this one a couple weeks ago. It was entertaining and enjoyable as a kind of "Just sit back and turn your brain off" movie. I enjoyed the references, both subtle and explicit.

However, I still have some nagging issues with the film.

1. On the one hand, I enjoyed how replete the film was with references. On the other...I dunno...I kind of find that the references acted as kind of a crutch. Like, it's a way to short-circuit an audience's affection for the film and make you think it's perhaps better than it is, or overlook other stuff. Like, character motivations become less important because Oh, awesome! He's driving the BTTF DeLorean! or because HOLY CRAP I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE A GUNDAM FIGHT MECHAGODZILLA AND THIS IS AWESOME!!!! (Which, admittedly, it was. Super awesome.) But while I'm marveling at how badass it is to see a Gundam whip out a beam sabre to attack Mechagodzilla (side note: should've used the head vulcans to shoot at the eyes), I can't help but think "This all seems...very abrupt."

2. The love story is...I gotta be honest here, it's either gross or at best extremely juvenile. I lean towards juvenile. And I get it. This is meant to showcase a teenager's experiences, but it just struck me as the kind of thing I'd have identified with when I was a teenager, but which I now can't help but cringe at. It may be that something there was lost in translation from book to screen, where in the book both he and the girl are kind of average people in the real world, but amazing people in the game. In the movie, though, they're just two pretty people being pretty together. Plus, it all just felt...really rushed. I did appreciate that his friend told him "Dude, you don't even KNOW her." Although I wouldn't expect it to end differently, I kinda wish that maybe it ended with them going on a first date, instead of them now happily living together and smooching all the time. Meh.

3. I watched Sword Art Online before I saw this, so I felt more like "Meh. Seen it already." Can anyone say which came out first in terms of source material?

2. The love story is...I gotta be honest here, it's either gross or at best extremely juvenile. I lean towards juvenile. And I get it. This is meant to showcase a teenager's experiences, but it just struck me as the kind of thing I'd have identified with when I was a teenager, but which I now can't help but cringe at. It may be that something there was lost in translation from book to screen, where in the book both he and the girl are kind of average people in the real world, but amazing people in the game. In the movie, though, they're just two pretty people being pretty together. Plus, it all just felt...really rushed. I did appreciate that his friend told him "Dude, you don't even KNOW her." Although I wouldn't expect it to end differently, I kinda wish that maybe it ended with them going on a first date, instead of them now happily living together and smooching all the time. Meh.

It is juvenile, and doesn't cross over from the book too well, you hit it right on the head.
In the book they are a lot more insular,Wade barely leaves the oasis and rarely communicates with anyone face to face. He is infatuated with Arty the way someone could be if a celeb paid them some attention. She's not that into it. The book is vastly different, but serves as a nice companion piece to the movie.

It is juvenile, and doesn't cross over from the book too well, you hit it right on the head.
In the book they are a lot more insular,Wade barely leaves the oasis and rarely communicates with anyone face to face. He is infatuated with Arty the way someone could be if a celeb paid them some attention. She's not that into it. The book is vastly different, but serves as a nice companion piece to the movie.

Yeah, it just...didn't feel "right" in the film. If it's meant to play awkwardly, and that Arty doesn't like it and isn't actually into him, and it's just a thing Spielberg tacked on, that would make a TON of sense.

To my way of thinking, either have them go on a first date in the real world, or have her reject him, but he finds meaning in his own life and isn't so fixated on a person who isn't real.

Not to mention, in the book, it's stalkerish in the same way as Say Anything, which a few people had an issue with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back