Ready Player One

I'm excited as hell! I'm putting my Beta Capsule crystal under silicone tonight, I still gotta figure what I'm going to cast it with that's not Hot Glue... Is it going to be that strange if I dress up for the movie premier? Anyone ever done that before? I've seen dressing up for cons before, so I can't imagine it's that different.

I'm excited as hell! I'm putting my Beta Capsule crystal under silicone tonight, I still gotta figure what I'm going to cast it with that's not Hot Glue... Is it going to be that strange if I dress up for the movie premier? Anyone ever done that before? I've seen dressing up for cons before, so I can't imagine it's that different.

I'm sort of doing something similar, but not a costume. I'm going to wear my blue jean jacket with several buttons referencing various franchises, my BTTF Part 2 Marty hat, my Reafy Player One t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans (just regular blue jeans. Don't have any acid washed ones) and my vintage pair of Chuck Taylors. I did consider on including some props (thought of making a white VR visor like the Wade wears in the trailer), but decided against it.

Also, I hope you found some enjoyment in my fan fic (again, if you didn't finish it because of it's length, I understand).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sort of doing something similar, but not a costume. I'm going to wear my blue jean jacket with several buttons referencing various franchises, my BTTF Part 2 Marty hat, my Reafy Player One t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans (just regular blue jeans. Don't have any acid washed ones) and my vintage pair of Chuck Taylors. I did consider on including some props (thought of making a white VR visor like the Wade wears in the trailer), but decided against it.

Also, I hope you found some enjoyment in my fan fic (again, if you didn't finish it because of it's length, I understand).

Nice!

I'm wearing my Denim vest, torn sleeves, with patches referencing many, many things. My Trantor Military Academy Cadet shirt, RPO-Customized ESB Han Solo pants/Holster (Belt portion only), If they get here in time, A pair of SAO Kirito boots, otherwise, black chucks. Beta Capsule, My custom protosaber, with the non-extendable cable. my Wayne's World hat, and a pair of Doc Brown Stainless sunglasses I made a while back. I couldn't replicate the stainless effect well enough so I used a stainless steel kickplate from a restaurant door. They're still a little rough around the edges.

I'm way too excited. I tell people I'm dressing like Parzival, if he led a small Gunter Biker gang. that tends to get the point across, I just need a haircut, but I have no idea what to do... which is fairly box-standard for me and hair.

Nice!

I'm wearing my Denim vest, torn sleeves, with patches referencing many, many things. My Trantor Military Academy Cadet shirt, RPO-Customized ESB Han Solo pants/Holster (Belt portion only), If they get here in time, A pair of SAO Kirito boots, otherwise, black chucks. Beta Capsule, My custom protosaber, with the non-extendable cable. my Wayne's World hat, and a pair of Doc Brown Stainless sunglasses I made a while back. I couldn't replicate the stainless effect well enough so I used a stainless steel kickplate from a restaurant door. They're still a little rough around the edges.

I'm way too excited. I tell people I'm dressing like Parzival, if he led a small Gunter Biker gang. that tends to get the point across, I just need a haircut, but I have no idea what to do... which is fairly box-standard for me and hair.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I wish I was still in a big city where I know there'd be a high level of geeks and nerds, but I'm trying to keep things simple so that I don't weird out the regular folks. I will admit, I've been reconsidering the VR goggle replica idea, but I may just go with the avatar style sunglasses or the Three Key replicas released by Funko. In fact, I used the sunglasses and my blue jean jacket as a part of my Not-So-Screen-Accurate Back To The Future Halloween costume a few years back: https://codebreaker2001.deviantart....lies-Say-I-m-Pretty-Fly-for-a-McFly-335388727

But yours definitely sounds like it's gonna rock. [emoji4]

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I wish I was still in a big city where I know there'd be a high level of geeks and nerds, but I'm trying to keep things simple so that I don't weird out the regular folks. I will admit, I've been reconsidering the VR goggle replica idea, but I may just go with the avatar style sunglasses or the Three Key replicas released by Funko. In fact, I used the sunglasses and my blue jean jacket as a part of my Not-So-Screen-Accurate Back To The Future Halloween costume a few years back: https://codebreaker2001.deviantart....lies-Say-I-m-Pretty-Fly-for-a-McFly-335388727

A HA! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most well known is never to start a land war in Asia, But only slightly Less well known is that i'm not the social type with an advanced number of friends, much less the ones who really appreciate this.

Regardless. I still plan on it being a ton of fun. I'll post pics soon. Wanna finish the pants first.

As per your Halloween costume... I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of that prior... Well Done good Sir! looks awesome for "threw together!"

Just to be clear, Which set of goggles do you have your eyes on?

"Early" set: https://i2.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-co...-2.png?fit=800,+9999&crop=0,0,100,332px&ssl=1
ready-player-one-first-trailer-2.png

"Later" set: https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?qu...ture=72d8a1df3231ae5499f40af3851ab8ba27a0365f

LaterGearset.jpeg

I may attempt a modeling and am partial to the simplicity of the early set. We'll see.

The early ones, as they'd probably be the easier to construct. But, since my work schedule has kept me slightly business, it may be pointless to attempt it.

I'm interested to see what you do with your costume. Good luck with it. :)

Also, nice use of the Princess Bride quote. XD. And thanks. It was a miracle that I was able to get the costume together and find what I needed in a week (at the time, the classmates took their time in deciding a theme). [emoji4]

The early ones, as they'd probably be the easier to construct. But, since my work schedule has kept me slightly business, it may be pointless to attempt it.

I'm interested to see what you do with your costume. Good luck with it. :)

Also, nice use of the Princess Bride quote. XD. And thanks. It was a miracle that I was able to get the costume together and find what I needed in a week (at the time, the classmates took their time in deciding a theme). [emoji4]

I meant to ask, Did you strap the hoverboard to your foot somehow? or was it suspended from the ceiling?

I agree with your difficulty predictions. I want a pair as well, i'll model them sometime...

I meant to ask, Did you strap the hoverboard to your foot somehow? or was it suspended from the ceiling?

I agree with your difficulty predictions. I want a pair as well, i'll model them sometime...

The Hoverboard was held one with the foot strap I installed on the board, made out of Velcro. I used this tutorial to make the board and used the same kind of trick. (and bought pink Velcro units teas of a black one and painting it pink).
https://youtu.be/i-o5Xnq-HdU

I finally got my buttons in place. If I get any more, I'll add them. And yes, I know I got two Deadpools and some from recent franchises, but I still like them and had to include them.IMG_1170.JPG

Spotted the Last Action Hero reference at 1:29. Not only is it a Zack Penn reference (co-writer of the film), but it's also so a nice eater egg for the fact that RPO and LAH have a common detail: escaping reality for a fantasy world (in LAH, it's movies instead of a virtual world). Not only that Jack Slater's film universe is chock full of cliches and references, and guest appearances, much like the OASIS.

I was planning on seeing RPO at the box office either on Thursday Night or Friday afternoon of next week. However, two things have cropped up that has cause a delay in my plans. The first is that my mom is getting knee surgery on Monday, which means that I may end up having to help her out around the house while my dad is at work on the days he's scheduled. The second thing is my sheer stupidity resulting in my damaging my Jeep Cherokee in a way that I may end up having to get a new vehicle if it can't be fixed, which means I won't be able to do any riding around, including going to the movies. So, as a result, my plans for attending the film the opening weekend has been delayed (I'm still planning on seeing it in the theaters, hopefully before it leaves them). To quote Groucho Marx, as mentioned in the book, "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." :/ Hope my fellow Gunters enjoy the premiere.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: Well, good news is that my Jeep is back in running order, so I won't have to worry about having to buy a new car to get around in (thus depleting my bank account to where I wouldn't be able to pay for things for a while, which would have included a ticket for RPO). But, I plan on seeing the movie in theaters, which means I'll only be missing it on opening weekend (as I know I'll be helping my mom out around her house while her knee heals). [emoji3]

ADDITIONAL UPDATE 2: My ditziness never ceases to amaze me. I thought the release of RPO, which is suppose to be on the 29th here in the States, was next week. But, right now, not sure what my Dad's schedule for that week will be, and barring that I'm not called into work, there might be a slim chance I might go to the premiere on Thursday evening as I had hoped. But, if my Dad's working that day, I'll still be able to go while it's in theaters (as I do have work that weekend). :D

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been posted, but they are doing advance screening on Wednesday. check your theater listed. I've got my tickets!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been posted, but they are doing advance screening on Wednesday. check your theater listed. I've got my tickets!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

So I got my tix at Hollywood Blvd in Chicago. Just confirmed the last of my friends can go. Way too excited for this.

I shall say that I have this sinking suspicion that this may be the First movie I'll cry in since the first time I saw Bridge to Terebithia.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back