Ready Player One

Last edited by a moderator:
Havent read the book but soooo looking forward to this movie. I just see myself grinning all the way through at every nostalgic turn and 80's reference.:D

Havent read the book but soooo looking forward to this movie. I just see myself grinning all the way through at every nostalgic turn and 80's reference.:D

You should total check out the book. The film's changed a lot around from it, but I suspect the same DNA of the story will be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are lucky enough to be in Austin this month: The Alamo Drafthouse just sent out their "Press start to continue" series of movies. They are hand selected by Ernie Cline, and he will be in attendance for some of them.

I will be at the Back to the Future movie party on Slaughter Lane. This will be my second time seeing it on the big screen at the Drafthouse, and I have to say it really is worth it. I want to get out to some of the other screenings, but they are either downtown or across town.

Edit: They may be running some of these in other Drafthouse markets

Don't think anyone has post these yet. There's a few more too.
58b1beacfb18955af9591970829e5ca3.jpg
73654a526503427415d2a1e866433c78.jpg
46b0c5795c4ebfa926313c943f022f52.jpg
407d1eb86ae78699135e2f917195aae9.jpg
bb402b2d438e2416871d6bb5cb505437.jpg
a16c41266301000b4ab70b014d7838e3.jpg
ee85cd8c42057aa58f7e35d770862f33.jpg
1a392b0d8a7a9440dc77c613e00f7453.jpg
f4b779e30f6df4de83b25c6bbfb90f62.jpg

I don't get it. Over in the Star Wars threads all people do is complain about fan service. How is this movie nothing but fan service?

The posters for RPO are more tongue-in-cheek than fan service to me.

Besides, there's a difference between RPO's fan service and Star Wars fan service. Star Wars fan service is forced into it, and comes off as rather unoriginal. Ready Player One's fan service is part of its design, primarily because the OASIS has become the main source of all entertainment in the world, thus the fan service in it is a part of the world's design. The posters reflect that perfectly, even more so since the First and Third Gate include the characters having to be in placed in a style of gameplay called FlickSync, where they play the roles of the characters in films and have to match their dialogue and actions as close or perfectly to the scene.

the posters for rpo are more tongue-in-cheek than fan service to me.

...the posters reflect that perfectly, even more so since the first and third gate include the characters having to be in placed in a style of gameplay called flicksync, where they play the roles of the characters in films and have to match their dialogue and actions as close or perfectly to the scene.

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk

Why did I not notice this beforehand?!!!

banginheadcomputer.gif

Last edited:
a style of gameplay called FlickSync, where they play the roles of the characters in films and have to match their dialogue and actions as close or perfectly to the scene.
Wow, that sounds... pointless. "Hey, I can quote this scene word-for-word! Oh look, I completed the level!" Yawn. Furthermore, why would I want to watch someone else doing that? It sounds like the karaoke of video games, or a third-rate community theatre production of a Broadway show - painfully awful, and a constant reminder that you'd rather be watching the original.

Wow, that sounds... pointless. "Hey, I can quote this scene word-for-word! Oh look, I completed the level!" Yawn. Furthermore, why would I want to watch someone else doing that? It sounds like the karaoke of video games, or a third-rate community theatre production of a Broadway show - painfully awful, and a constant reminder that you'd rather be watching the original.

Well, it sounds boring because you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Imagine you were the player of a FlickSync of your favorite movie (remember, this is a game). Not only do you need to recite the lead's dialogue, but perform their actions in the scene with the other characters from the film (for example, the first FlickSync was of WarGames and Parzival had to perform Matthew Broderick's role, having to perform every scene with Broderick's character along with recreations of the other characters and environments from the film). And the closer in getting the actions and how the dialogue is performed, the better the score. The FlickSync is experienced by you and you alone (the only time anyone else experienced it other than the player was during the Third Gate on the final leg of the Egg Hunt, where Wade had to perform as King Arthur in Monty Python and The Holy Grail, and that was being broadcasted by the OASIS itself because Halliday wanted people to see the last leg of the contest as a live broadcast of a competitive sport).

Last edited:

Well, it sounds boring because you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Agreed - when used in the book, it was one of the cooler little touches, and was meant to demonstrate that only a person who had obsessively immersed himself or herself in all things that Halliday adored (like WarGames/Holy Grail) could move to the next level. And in the book, the descriptions of these flicksyncs are pretty abbreviated, so there's no line-by-line run-through of the movie that would bore the reader. Out of context, sure, it sounds like a drudge - but, in the book, it fits perfectly.

That being said, I've heard nothing to indicate that these are used at all in the RP1 film, and I always suspected that they wouldn't be. One reason being that cited by Angelus Lupus - it wouldn't translate well to the movie format, and would run the risk of being tedious unless exceedingly brief. Second - and in line with the various other updates we've seen that no longer tie the film strictly to "80s" references, I doubt many in the audience today would get much of a buzz off of watching a character reenact "WarGrames" - let's face it, other than maybe the line "Shall we play a game?", that movie hasn't exactly stayed top-of-mind in the collective consciousness of the movie-going public. "Holy Grail", while still an amazing film, also isn't much of a blip on the radar of the general public today like it was in the 80s. And I doubt they'd preserve the flicksyncs but replace them with more modern films. Third , of course, is whatever effort might be needed to clear yet another set of rights to use a third-party property.

But who knows? - I'll be going in relatively unspoiled as to what from the book is included and what isn't, as there hasn't been a lot of info on that point so far. (Though I am still bummed that they reveal the "real people behind the avatars" from the get-go, unlike in the book; holding the reveals of Art3mis and Aech until the end was one of the best things about the book, and would have played beautifully on-screen.)

M

There's a lot of adventure and mystery to the book that I don't think is really coming across in these trailers so far. It's more than a nostalgia fueled action fest. Well, the book was at least.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back