Ready Player One

So I guess Wade isn't going to be fat then.

I noticed that as well. Wade gets in shape, but not until much later in the book, after he's moved out of the stacks and gets his apartment. He also didn't have the full-body-immersion rig until then.

Still have no idea what the big race sequence is, I'm guessing it's a race to a clue or hint from Halliday or something like that, or maybe a race to an actual gate key, or maybe a gate itself?

I'm curious to see how much they'll be able to keep in tact and what they'll have to cut, either due to licensing, or a reference just being too obscure. I won't be surprised at all if the 'Zork' segment gets cut completely, or the 'Wargames' segment. Wondering how different Halliday's video will will be also, and if it'll actually include all of those 'Heathers' references and characters.

All in all I'm very excited for this film, and looking forward to picking out all of the differences. I for one enjoy it when a film-adaption deviates from the book (as long as it's for the better), keeps things a bit more interesting.

Surely they're going to fix that poster! :facepalm
Why, whats wrong with it?

leg.jpg

And Art3mis won't be "rueben-esque" either. It's Hollywood. You know they're not going to cast slightly heavy leads in a movie like this; it's not a comedy afterall. :rolleyes

With the exception of Aech in RL (you can see her in the background of the interior of the va. When Wade says "Let's Save The OASIS."), who looks like she might be as he/she's described in the book during Their first RL meeting.

Still have no idea what the big race sequence is, I'm guessing it's a race to a clue or hint from Halliday or something like that, or maybe a race to an actual gate key, or maybe a gate itself?

I think this is the replacement for the Tomb of Horrors (since there are banners at the starting line that says "Win The Copper Key.")

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With the exception of Aech in RL (you can see her in the background of the interior of the va. When Wade says "Let's Save The OASIS."), who looks like she might be as he/she's described in the book during Their first RL meeting.

I love Aech, but they are not a lead in the book, or here. The fact that we've only seen the character in action or in the background indicates there's not going to be much time dedicated to them.

I've already begun looking at everything, and so far, here's what I've got (mostly without bases for it).

1. Wade's outfit: Now, I know this is a bit of a stretch, and I'm surprised I didn't realize this earlier, but Wade's outfit seen at the start of the film mimics a similar outfit worn by Lance Guest during the first half of The Last Starfighter. It's not an exact replica (in fact, the plaid shirt is a different color and the undershirt has a pattern on it), but when I watched the new trailer, this was what popped into my head. Of course, I could be wrong, and this may have been selected to be a generic type of outfit, as the character of Daniel in The Karate Kid has a similar and Back To The Future fans know that Marty McFly sports a white plaid similar. But apparently plaid was a fashionable trend for lead characters in the 1980s. Here's a picture of Lance Guest from The Last Starfighter, and you can sort of see what I mean: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/62/11/6f62114a4dac7e80fe2d826e200609fa.jpg

2. At 0:19 - We get a good look and see that Wade's backpack has the Gregarious Games logo. However, we see that he's sporting a blue jeans jacket.

3. At 0:37 - Wade's name of Parzival looks to have a sword going through it. I can't make it out, but with the style of font on the name, for me, it invokes some of the classic arcade marquees for arcade games. In the shot, it looks like he touches some sort of digital pyramid.

4. 0:39 - When Parzival is "rezzing", it actually looks like he's a holographic projection. I'm beginning to wonder if this may be part of Wade's tour of IOI, but instead of getting a virtual tour of the IOI in the OASIS, he's actually get a real tour with the use of holographic technology (the reason why I say this is because the background actually looks more real than Wade, like a real world location). However, the thing that jumps out at me is the fact on the left and right sides of the shot, there are guns that appear to be displayed, them looking like vintage revolvers. Also, Wade's avatar appears to be rocking a blue-jean vest with the sword image on the back.

5. 0:42 - A rear view of the Mad Max V-8 Interceptor. Looks to have rockets on the back where the gas tanks are supposed to be. A user named Jaybee is listed as Number 17 on the race roster. Art3mis is listed as Number 20.

6. 0:43 - We get a better view of the 1960s Batmobile from the Batman TV series. Can also see the backside of the A-Team van. Also, there's a white car with the Number 5 on it, which I suspect is Speed Racer's Mach 5 (but the design doesn't look like the classic anime, or the attempted live-action adaptation by the Wachowski Siblings). Also, walking past the previously mentioned Mach 5 appears to be Ryu from Street Fighter. And, like in the previous teaser, we can see the banners that say "Win The Copper Key."

7. 0:44 - Wade getting into the DeLorean. God, it's awesome seeing the Time Machine once more. And also previously mentioned, the license plate has a vanity plate of Parzival. Also, I notice Wade's belt buckle. It looks like the Thundercats lion logo.

8. 0:46 - Looks like Wade's avatar has a pattern on his skin. Wireframe, maybe?

9. 0:48 - Better view of the DeLorean. Looks like it had a bit of a smash up, and it's installed with KITT's scanner light bar.

10. Of coure, the entire time, "The World Through My Eyes" by Depeche Mode playing. It's the Cicada Mix used in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D789MNbNKU0

11. A replay of the entering Og's party as previously seen at 0:50.

12. 0:53 - Apparently, Wade is still using his van hideout some time after the destruction of the Stack. He's got a new haptic suit on, wearing a green bandana around his neck.

13. At 0:55 - To the left side of the screen appears to be Deadshot and (ick) Pickachu. Also, first time seeing Art3mis' avatar very clearly. In the background, Blanka from Street Fighter, a female Dow from World of Warcraft(?) at the bar next to Art3mis, on the far right there looks to be a robotic character I believe is from the Mortal Kombat series (I can't think of the name), a female Asari from Mass Effect, and out of focus in the far background behing Art3mis, what looks to be Guy from Daft Punk (?). Lara Croft steps up to the bar behind Wade, and the Robotic Bartender is rocking the Devo potted plant hat: https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-fbdd...ome-flower-pot-hats__29230.1506449661.jpg?c=2

14. 0:56 - Looks like Wade's rocking the Buckaroo Banzai look, except with a long tie instead of a bow-tie.

15. 1:05 - Wade has printouts and clippings. One of them appears to be from Buzzfeed on Og. The newspaper in the foreground with Halliday appears to be all about Halliday and the OASIS. Halliday's article has the headline: "Halliday: Bigger than Jobs?" Below the article, there's two more headlines: "OASIS Coin: The Next Dollar?" and "Will The OASIS Change The Way We Live?"

16. 1:06 - There's a noticeable handwritten note. On it is the diagram of the OASIS in the shape of the Rubik's Cube, like described in the book.

17. 1:07 - Apparently, FitBits are now able to be used to connect and receive messages from the OASIS (J/k). Apparently this bit is taking place in the real world and in school (it was one of the words I could make out in reverse on the translucent pad).

18. 1:08 - Halliday seems to be in a funeral parlor. Hard to know if it's the one from Heathers as mentioned in the book. One of the pins on his jacket appears to be modeled after the electronic game Simon by Milton Bradley. However, the pin is turned in a way that the red and blue color which are typically on the right side are at the top. There are two other pins, but I can't make them out clearly: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/OriginalSimon.jpg

19. 1:10 - There's a brief flash of more of Wade's clue wall in the hideout. Includes a Wired Magazine with Halliday on the cover that reads "Halliday: Game Designer. Trillionaire." There's other articles titled "The Fall At the IOI" and "Choose your own adventure." I can't make out any of the other notes on the wall due to the quality of the video. There's a QR code, but the program I used couldn't read it. Maybe someone can have some luck with it. There's also an advertisement for the Haptic suit that we see Wade wearing earlier in the trailer.

20. 1:15 - The foye of Castle Anorak. At the top, you can see that part of Halliday's lyrimrick is inscribed: "Skills to those who survive these straits, will reach the" is visible. Also, the double A on the Crystal Key (a reference to Halliday's avatar which had an A embroided on each sleeve of his robe). There's a through with two golden dragons (Double Dragon reference?)

21. 1:16 - A better shot of Wade's shirt. Looks to be a map of some sort (I think this was brought up before with the EW preview pick of Wade in his hideout). This looks to be before he finds the egg, as he has the makeshift rig we saw him put on in the teaser trailer. Keaton Batman logo noticeable on the visor.

22. 1:22 - Apparently the IOI have their own "Stargate", featuring their name on it. XD

23. 1:23 - Kaneda's bike from Akira making an appearance again. We see a bit of the other side of the front, spotting a Wonder Woman logo. When the shot changes, we see Art3mis jumping the bike over Aech and his modified Bigfoot monster truck. In the shot of the jump, in the background, there's not only an OASIS avertisement, but there's a billboard advertising Delta City, the same billboard from the 1987 classic RoboCop: https://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2012/04/12-04-14-delta_city.jpg

24. 1:25 - Same jump, different angle. Better view of previously mentioned Delta City billboard.

25. Of course, the start of Van Halen's song Jump. Don't get me wrong, I love Jump, but I think they missed the opportunity to include the 2112 Overture for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

26. 1:29 - Parzival getting the Crystal Key. This appears to be the first time we see Anorak in any of the videos and promotional material. I can't tell if the robe is a match to the Dungeon and Dragon's Dungeonmaster Guide Book cover or not. But in the shot, it appears Wade is wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans. Maybe this is after his resurrection at the Third Gate?: http://shaneplays.com/wp-content/up...on_masters_guide_1st_edition_second_cover.jpg

27. 1:30 - Wade acquires the Copper Key.

28. 1:32 - First shot of Hannah John-Kamen playing her character. On the screen, it says "Subject Unknown" and "Added To Database." There appears to be a man on screen with some sort of red circuit board tattoo on his face.

29. 1:33 - The IOI assault at Og's birthday? I'm guessing this might be.

30. 1:34 - Shot of Wade and Art3mis in RL. You can see what appears to be the port wine stain, but it's around her right eye.

31. 1:37 - This appears to be the debtor's prison.

32. 1:42 - There's the mailvan we've seen the pictures of, with the D&D artwork on it.

33. 1:43 - Appears Sorrento is talking to the board of IOI.

34. 1:47 - Not really much, just Sorrento's tie says NS IOI. And he's wearing an IOI pin as well.

35. 1:52 - When she says "Welcome to the Rebellion" after the Stack is destroyed, this appears to be taking place just after the destruction. Meaning that when Wade and Art3mis meet in real life has been moved closer to the first part of the story. I'm making this judgment from the clothes and the dirt on his face.

36. 1:53 - King Kong. But not just any King Kong. The King Kong from the Peter Jackson remake.

37. 1:56 - Charge of the Gunters. So far, I see the Joust knight on the ostrich. And also, all three of the Battletoads are there. I can't make out much of any of the other characters (maybe someone else can ID them).

38. 2:01 - Wade receives the quarter from a bot that looks suspiciously like Al Jolson (maybe that's just me). This is during the library scene where Wade and Art3mis watch Halliday and Og trying out the OASIS from the EW pictures we saw before the trailer's released. In fact, when the shot changes to show Wade catching it, you can see on the glass wall "First OASIS Build, Gregarious Games Headquarters, (the next bit is either 2023 or 2025). Clearer view of Wade's Thundercats lion logo on his belt buckle.

39. 2:02 - Wade holds up a boombox in the same way as mentioned in the book, a reference to the movie Say Anything with John Cusack. For a moment, I thought it may have been the same boombox as well, but after finding a picture of the scene, it's not the same one. But it is a Sharp boombox, model GF-7600

40. 2:02 - Brief shot of Aech at the fountain that we saw the DeLorean circle around in the teaser. The modified Bigfoot monster truck in the background. Halliday's name is on the ground by the way it looks.

41. 2:04 - Wade and Art3mis at Og's party. Apparently, they don't just dance in the air like in the book, but they break out the disco floors from Saturday Night Fever (I would say it's weird, but it may be a reference to John Badham. Many here know his films WarGames, Short Circuit and Blue Thunder. However, John Badham's directed the John Travolta film Saturday Night Fever, which he parodied in Short Circuit by having Number 5 dancing to scenes from the film).

42. Joker and Harly at 2:05. That is Harley from the Arkham Knight game. The Joker looks to be the Health Ledger version from The Dark Knight, but I don't recall him wearing a fedora (maybe this is a version that was in another video game or maybe the user behind this avatar decided to put on a hat for the party).

43. 2:05 - As some have pointed out, Tracer from Overwatch. But there's also Chun-Li from Street Fighter, Lara Croft, some of the deadite skeleton army from Army of Darkness(?) and Fem Shepard from Mass Effect.

44. 2:07 - What looks to be the wipeout of the car race result at the IOI, the scoreboard is up in the right and left sides of the screen, with Wade in 2nd, Aech in 3rd, Shoto (listed as Sho) and Daito in 4th and 5th. I can't see the first place listing, but I'm guessing it's Art3mis.

45. 2:08 - More notes, but I can't see what they say.

46. 2:10 - It's details like this that make me go, "***** ****** on a pogo stick!" In this shot, we see Wade, Art3mis, Aech and I'm assuming Shoto at the library. In this one shot, what comes down appears to be VHS cassette tapes of various movies. I can see Firestarter, Batman, Back To The Future, Airplane, The Breakfast Club and Full Metal Jacket. By the way it looks, there's multiple copies of the same film (maybe this is both VHS and DVD collection, as Wade did mention that Halliday owned Ladyhawke on multiple formats).

47. 2:11 - Wade leading the charge via Boombox ala Say Anything. Two I think I recognize is Deadshot (DC Comcis) and several of the characters from Destiny (video game). In the background on the left side, what appears to be the ED-209 from Robocop (could be wrong).

48. 2:13 - Mobile Suit Gundum. I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I know that's one of the Mechs. I'm sure someone will mention the number.

49. 2:14 - Looks like Chuckie from Childs Play is a pint-size powerhouse in this fight. And he's on the good guys side (taking out a Sixer). XD

50. 2:15 - I'm not even going to try to see what characters I recognize. That's just too much chaos to tell what is what.

51. 2:15 - The shot fades into the inside of the mailvan. Aech in her true form behind Wade. I can't really see anything that jumps out other than that (stuff is out of focus on her wall and I notice a couple of stickers on the rig Wade is wearing in this shot, but other than that, I can't tell due to quality.

52. 2:16 - Quick shot of what appears to be the Sixers being taken out in mass.

53. 2:17 - Wade and another avatar grabbing at some sort of light. I think that may be Sorrento's avatar and he's got a hold of the Crystal Key with Wade coming in to try to snatch it.

54. 2:18 - Mobile Suit Gundam again(?)

55. 2:19 - The Iron Giant on the charge to throw down. He doesn't appear to be carrying anyone in his hands, nor is anyone riding on his shoulders (like we've seen in The Iron Giant), so that means he's either an A.I. driven NPC or he's being controlled on the inside (which would be way OOC for the character). Fighters on the ground, but I can't make out anyone or anything in the mix.

56. 2:22 - The Back To The Future jingle, as heard in many scenes in the film, and used during recaps of the endings of Part 2 and Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt_8Heme49w

Someone pointed out the design of the interior of the Halliday Journals building invokes a similar design to the library from The Breakfast Club. And, if you look in the left lower side of the screen, as Wade approaches the desk after entering the building, you can see a Hello Kitty avatar sitting at the table.

So, this is very late... but better late than never...

As has been spoken here many times before (not strictly this thread) I was one of those people who was blindsided by the whole "hollywood-yness" of the new trailer... It struck me completely by surprise how much they appear to have altered the book.

This stems mainly from my knowledge that the... "flesh" shall we say? of the book primarily came from the Visual Arts industry: Movies, Music videos, Videogames, and that, to a guy like me that has never tried to make even a minor motion picture, would seem to take away a large chunk off of the visual department, as you’re basically copy, pasting, and upgrading older work, (assuming you get the rights to said work, I have a vague understanding of the legal issues that go on inside the studio for these types of things.)

My three big griefs with this trailer have all been addressed already so I won’t dwell too much on them:
1. “The Rebellion”
2. The Copper Key Race
3. The Iron Giant.

Ye Be Warned. As in other portions of this thread. Major Book-Plot Spoilers may or may not be revealed further in this post.

I highly recommend reading the book

Last Chance, Detective.

I’m going to start with the last one because it’s petty, I know. I’ll lead by saying I love The Iron Giant. It holds a slot as the 8th best movie I’ve seen (the rest of that list later.) and I fully intend to have a properly scaled Iron Giant park statue on my future property. (end of the movie, pedestal and all)

But where is Leopardon?!

Now I have a certain thing for using odd references in everyday life (talk to people I know, or better yet, don’t.) so the fact that Leopardon is from the 80’s Japanese Anime of Supaidaman,would have been lost on the general public, as Funky stated earlier (Page 6, roughly 2/3rds of the way down the standard page), would not have come to mind very quickly… if ever…

Upon reading Funky’s theory on The Iron Giant’s apparent (at the time of this writing) replacement of Leopardon :

… In the book, Wade has a choice of robots to choose from (one of which IS the Iron Giant) and he chooses Leopardon, the strange Spiderman/Giant Robot character from the obscure Japanese series. I suspect that because it IS so obscure, and the fact that it's tied to Marvel's Spiderman, the reference would be lost on the masses (and very confusing) so the choice of going with a well known giant robot was more favorable (not to mention Spielberg loves the character of the Iron Giant). …

It makes a lot of sense, to me, for them to do this, as a “Let’s get everybody onboard with this movie” tactic. His explanation of the Ultraman Issue is spot on.

End rant, topic #3.

I’m going to hop over the race momentarily, To “The Rebellion”!

What the what-what? No. I’m most displeased with this development, and yes, I’m jumping the gun on this by not watching the movie first. I know it hasn’t come out yet and it very well may be fantastic, but, I digress…

This would appear to completely undermine Wade’s “Backdoor-Johnny-SD-03-Saves-The-Day” plan. Now, they’ve already butchers the timeline by skipping him to Cleveland instead of actually following the timeline appropriately. (again, please, I love Ohio, The Air and Space Museum is one of my fondest pre-10-year-old memories) but his state-change helps him wriggle out of IOI’s spotlight, and allows him to execute his “intranet-infiltration” without getting thrown off of his balcony. I am aware of the speculation that the pods where people get tazed (in the trailer) are actually the indent-offices, but this destroys Wade’s Ten-Zettabyte drive tactic unless IOI leaves the pod bay doors open for some reason. Given the state of the place, I doubt that would be the case.

Another detail I've noticed is that Wade is seen running to the stack when it blows up, when in the book it is plainly stated that he leaves the meeting, Sorrento calls him a fool (or is it "stupid move, kid." I don't have the book in front of me) as he logs out. he waits in his hideout for a few seconds after he pulls his headset off, and right as he thinks that he called their bluff, BOOM. Super minor detail I know, but while I'm ranting...

I’m going to cut myself off here and continue this on my own site when I get it up and running…

End rant, topic #1.

The Race for the Copper Key

There is a huge issue with this approach. This leads me to believe that Wade is not the “broke ass high school kid” he is in the book, and that he already has been through Planet Zemeckis long before he finds the copper key. On the way to finding which, according to the book, is what grant’s him the 20,000 gold coins, that gets transferred to credits (On a serious note. I am actually curious about the transfer rate of Ancient Cursed Gold to Oasis Credits, any Crypt-o-Currency aficionados on the forum today?) that allows him to leave the planet and actually pay for his bus ticket outta town. I feel like this approach lent an incredible sense of “Underdog” tones to the book.

Again, cutting myself off, as it has become evident to me that most of the issues I will have will be far more True-to-the-Book than I think this movie will be…

‘Tis a shame, but Sure as Hell don’t curb my excitement for the movie.

When do we get the announcement that “Armada” has begun filming?

Regardless, Happy-Merry Chrstomahaunnakwanzakamis. I need to find a way to work “holiday” into that…

So, this is very late... but better late than never...

As has been spoken here many times before (not strictly this thread) I was one of those people who was blindsided by the whole "hollywood-yness" of the new trailer... It struck me completely by surprise how much they appear to have altered the book.

This stems mainly from my knowledge that the... "flesh" shall we say? of the book primarily came from the Visual Arts industry: Movies, Music videos, Videogames, and that, to a guy like me that has never tried to make even a minor motion picture, would seem to take away a large chunk off of the visual department, as you’re basically copy, pasting, and upgrading older work, (assuming you get the rights to said work, I have a vague understanding of the legal issues that go on inside the studio for these types of things.)

My three big griefs with this trailer have all been addressed already so I won’t dwell too much on them:
1. “The Rebellion”
2. The Copper Key Race
3. The Iron Giant.

I've heard the issues many times before over on Reddit, so here's my two cents:

1. All of what's in the book cannot work on the big screen. The Tomb of Horrors and the WarGames re-enactment can't work for the screen, and it would be boring to most filmgoers. This is why we have the race for the Copper Key, the stacks being in Columbus instead of Oklahoma City, as well as why Wade has the DeLorean with KITT mods already. You can't do everything in the book due to length and pacing. It's easier to remove the whole trip from Oklahoma to Columbus, removing about what would be a five minute travel montage. Wade having the DeLorean already is easily explainable (if you pay attention to the side of the DeLorean from the featurette recently posted when Wase climbs into it, you'd notice that the car is not remotely in the pristine condition as we've seen in the films. There's noticeable dings and very minimal damage that can be spotted on the car when Wade closes the door. To me, this suggests the car isn't new, it's a drastically second hand, or possibly even third hand, used. That could mean that Wade managed to get the car on the cheap and, still due to his RL circumstances, has probably kept the car in his inventory because he couldn't afford fuel (which he probably hasn't been able to afford until the moment he got himself involved with the race (keep in mind, there my have still been a clue or some sort of setup that Wade may have had to accomplish in order to get signed up for the race along with everyone else, and that setup/test/replacement for the Tomb of Horrors would have it where he finally gets a little cash to pay for fuel), which honestly helps establishes how poor he is (to teenagers in RL, a car is a symbol of freedom because they can finally get to go anywhere they want. But for Wade, a car without money for fuel is a symbol of being trapped as a poor kid, at least until he does whatever he does to get signed up for the race, which in turn gives him some money for a little bit of fuel for half way through the race, as another promo shows him gathering coins inside the DeLorean during the race to fuel up some coin-op battery inside the car).

Not to mention the rights. Some of what is in the book is able to get away with being used because it's in text. However, film is an entirely different beast, which means film rights to certain materials wouldn't be able to be gotten ahold of. Ultraman will also be sitting the fight out due to film rights issues. This is why we have the Iron Giant instead, because Warner Brothers already has the rights to it. And what we see in the film are all from rights holders who were okay and willing to allow their items to be in the film.

2. The big thing I have to say that Ernest Cline himself knew there'd be no way to do the novel exactly like the book (do you think that part where Wade mentions in the introduction how several movies, miniseries, books and comic books got his story wrong was just a coincidence? Nope, that was Cline's forethought of setting open the fact that a film adaptation of any type wasn"t going to adapt the novel exactly. You are also forgetting something: Ernest Cline co-adapted the screenplay, and Spielberg stated in the featurette that he consulted with Cline throughout the making of the film. What does that have to do with the price of a Wonka bar? Simple: the film will have the same DNA as RPO, but will be a different mutation of it. Keep in mind, Jurassic Park was different from the novel, yet it was still an excellent film. The same is true with Jaws, Duel, Minority Report, A.I. and several other adaptations Spielberg has done in his career, and every single one of them were excellent. And with Cline involved, this is going to be RPO of a different flavor. So, stop worrying and give the film a chance before you fret over the lack of an obscure robot, the insertion of a rebellion and the replacing of the Tomb of Horror and WarGames with a car race (which are all changes Cline made and apparently is okay with).

Trust me, I love the book and I've had my concerns too, but what you're pointing out is actually quite minuet in comparison to the big concern: will the film still capture the feel and the heart of the book? That is the only concern there should be, and only when March 30 comes will we get that answer (as well as as an explanation behind why the DeLorean is that dinged up before the race).

I've heard the issues many times before over on Reddit, so here's my two cents:

1. All of what's in the book cannot work on the big screen. The Tomb of Horrors and the WarGames re-enactment can't work for the screen, and it would be boring to most filmgoers. This is why we have the race for the Copper Key, the stacks being in Columbus instead of Oklahoma City, as well as why Wade has the DeLorean with KITT mods already. You can't do everything in the book due to length and pacing. It's easier to remove the whole trip from Oklahoma to Columbus, removing about what would be a five minute travel montage. Wade having the DeLorean already is easily explainable (if you pay attention to the side of the DeLorean from the featurette recently posted when Wase climbs into it, you'd notice that the car is not remotely in the pristine condition as we've seen in the films. There's noticeable dings and very minimal damage that can be spotted on the car when Wade closes the door. To me, this suggests the car isn't new, it's a drastically second hand, or possibly even third hand, used. That could mean that Wade managed to get the car on the cheap and, still due to his RL circumstances, has probably kept the car in his inventory because he couldn't afford fuel (which he probably hasn't been able to afford until the moment he got himself involved with the race (keep in mind, there my have still been a clue or some sort of setup that Wade may have had to accomplish in order to get signed up for the race along with everyone else, and that setup/test/replacement for the Tomb of Horrors would have it where he finally gets a little cash to pay for fuel), which honestly helps establishes how poor he is (to teenagers in RL, a car is a symbol of freedom because they can finally get to go anywhere they want. But for Wade, a car without money for fuel is a symbol of being trapped as a poor kid, at least until he does whatever he does to get signed up for the race, which in turn gives him some money for a little bit of fuel for half way through the race, as another promo shows him gathering coins inside the DeLorean during the race to fuel up some coin-op battery inside the car).

Not to mention the rights. Some of what is in the book is able to get away with being used because it's in text. However, film is an entirely different beast, which means film rights to certain materials wouldn't be able to be gotten ahold of. Ultraman will also be sitting the fight out due to film rights issues. This is why we have the Iron Giant instead, because Warner Brothers already has the rights to it. And what we see in the film are all from rights holders who were okay and willing to allow their items to be in the film.

2. The big thing I have to say that Ernest Cline himself knew there'd be no way to do the novel exactly like the book (do you think that part where Wade mentions in the introduction how several movies, miniseries, books and comic books got his story wrong was just a coincidence? Nope, that was Cline's forethought of setting open the fact that a film adaptation of any type wasn"t going to adapt the novel exactly. You are also forgetting something: Ernest Cline co-adapted the screenplay, and Spielberg stated in the featurette that he consulted with Cline throughout the making of the film. What does that have to do with the price of a Wonka bar? Simple: the film will have the same DNA as RPO, but will be a different mutation of it. Keep in mind, Jurassic Park was different from the novel, yet it was still an excellent film. The same is true with Jaws, Duel, Minority Report, A.I. and several other adaptations Spielberg has done in his career, and every single one of them were excellent. And with Cline involved, this is going to be RPO of a different flavor. So, stop worrying and give the film a chance before you fret over the lack of an obscure robot, the insertion of a rebellion and the replacing of the Tomb of Horror and WarGames with a car race (which are all changes Cline made and apparently is okay with).

Trust me, I love the book and I've had my concerns too, but what you're pointing out is actually quite minuet in comparison to the big concern: will the film still capture the feel and the heart of the book? That is the only concern there should be, and only when March 30 comes will we get that answer (as well as as an explanation behind why the DeLorean is that dinged up before the race).

All points well stated. Admittedly I missed the coin op thing until you pointed it out, and your argument for the car/fuel issue is logical. I would like to press that I knew that the points would be minute and had apparently cut that in the final edit, which was my mistake. Although I did state awareness for the Hollywood rights legal battles in the end of my third paragraph, but I digress...

As per Mr. Cline having direct feedback into the film, may I point you to one Ender's Game. I read the book before and after the movie and noted some minor changes that may have been my own interpretation of the text, and the fact that the last chunk of the book was cut completely, but the rest of the movie seemed to follow very closely with the book. I can hear the argument calling me back to the Legal issues for this movie and you are correct. Still, the "Purist" side of me jumped to "Oh, no. They've 'Hobbit-ized' it." Mr. Cline's involvement in this does lessen that impact, but there is still a side of me that feels initially lied to.

I love the book, and knew that there would have to be some changes to it if it were to be made into a movie. I just didn't expect this many. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, but when the SDCC teaser dropped it didn't lead me to believe they would have changed so much of it. the Official trailer release changed that outlook.

I'm still excited as hell for this movie, and i'm one of those people where you have to absolutely cast the original material into the heart of Mount Doom in order for me to have any kind of reserve about it.
[Listen, I still like Five Armies; but it does not lend itself to the book very well...] I still wanted to throw my 'purist' two cents in.

All points well stated. Admittedly I missed the coin op thing until you pointed it out, and your argument for the car/fuel issue is logical. I would like to press that I knew that the points would be minute and had apparently cut that in the final edit, which was my mistake. Although I did state awareness for the Hollywood rights legal battles in the end of my third paragraph, but I digress...

As per Mr. Cline having direct feedback into the film, may I point you to one Ender's Game. I read the book before and after the movie and noted some minor changes that may have been my own interpretation of the text, and the fact that the last chunk of the book was cut completely, but the rest of the movie seemed to follow very closely with the book. I can hear the argument calling me back to the Legal issues for this movie and you are correct. Still, the "Purist" side of me jumped to "Oh, no. They've 'Hobbit-ized' it." Mr. Cline's involvement in this does lessen that impact, but there is still a side of me that feels initially lied to.

I love the book, and knew that there would have to be some changes to it if it were to be made into a movie. I just didn't expect this many. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, but when the SDCC teaser dropped it didn't lead me to believe they would have changed so much of it. the Official trailer release changed that outlook.

I'm still excited as hell for this movie, and i'm one of those people where you have to absolutely cast the original material into the heart of Mount Doom in order for me to have any kind of reserve about it.
[Listen, I still like Five Armies; but it does not lend itself to the book very well...] I still wanted to throw my 'purist' two cents in.

I apologize if my previous comment came off at all rude. I assure you, I wasn't trying to rude. I was trying to be helpful and hopefully ease some of your worries about the film. To me, Spielberg has been a proven filmmaker multiple times over. Other than Sugarland Express and Munich (both which I haven't seen), I can't think of one Spielberg film that I didn't like. I guess we'll wait and see. And like the late Tom Petty best put it, "Waiting is the hardest part."

I apologize if my previous comment came off at all rude. I assure you, I wasn't trying to rude. I was trying to be helpful and hopefully ease some of your worries about the film. To me, Spielberg has been a proven filmmaker multiple times over. Other than Sugarland Express and Munich (both which I haven't seen), I can't think of one Spielberg film that I didn't like. I guess we'll wait and see. And like the late Tom Petty best put it, "Waiting is the hardest part."

Alas, I have seen less of Spielberg's work than I will ever admit. Unfortunately both of the aforementioned films make that list. I should be the one to apologize, for, upon a second reading, my response does seem more defensive than I had ever intended. You absolutely achieved the enlightenment that you sought to give, and I thank you for that. 90% of my worries are Purist oriented, so there really aren't many left to be realized. I am holding out for a Johnny Five cameo at minimum. I do hope they fought for his rights enough to play out his part of the book, but we'll have to see.

As per where Mr. Petty is concerned, agreed, but I don't mind the waiting so long as I have something to fill the time.

Alas, I have seen less of Spielberg's work than I will ever admit. Unfortunately both of the aforementioned films make that list. I should be the one to apologize, for, upon a second reading, my response does seem more defensive than I had ever intended. You absolutely achieved the enlightenment that you sought to give, and I thank you for that. 90% of my worries are Purist oriented, so there really aren't many left to be realized. I am holding out for a Johnny Five cameo at minimum. I do hope they fought for his rights enough to play out his part of the book, but we'll have to see.

As per where Mr. Petty is concerned, agreed, but I don't mind the waiting so long as I have something to fill the time.

It's okay. I'm glad to be able to help. I agree with you on Johnny Five, but I can't be sure which company holds the rights to Short Circuit (I know Columbia/Tri-Star did the distribution of the first and second film). But, considering there hasn't been any recent Short Circuit films, it would be great to see him again (Columbia Tri-Star also hold the rights to John Carpenter's Christine, and she's in the film, so, maybe possible).

For some film recommendations, there's a few I can suggest, not just Spielberg films of course, and some mostly forgotten ones). Maybe they can help in filling in the time:
1. Duel (Spielberg first movie, a TV movie no less)
2. The Wraith (Charlie Sheen)
3. Running Scared (Billy Crystal and Gregory Hynes)
4. Clue: The Movie (Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd)
5. Heavy Metal (adult animated film, John Candy, Rick Moranis)
6. John Carpenter's The Thing (Kurt Russell)
7. The Stuntman (Peter O'Toole, Steve Railsbeck, Barbara Hershey)
8. The Hunger (Tony Scott's first film, David Bowie, Susan Surrandon)
9. The Great Outdoors (John Candy)
10. Black Moon Rising (Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Hamilton)
11. Quicksilver (Kevin Bacon)
12. Bad Taste (Peter Jackson's first film)
13. Repo Man (Emilo Estevez, Harry Dean Staton)
14. Timerider (Fred Ward)
15. Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (Fred Ward, Kate Mulgrew)
16. Somewhere In Time (Christopher Reeves, Jane Seymour)
17. Dreamscape (Dennis Quaid)
18. Miracle Mile (Anthony Edwards)
19. The Ice Pirates
20. Back To School (Rodney Dangerfield)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back